No smartphone?

LaffingBear
This topic is 1107 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you know anyone without a smartphone? No iPhone or Android? Maybe even no cellphone?

I'm an NFL season ticket holder. Several years ago, as part of a transition to e*ticketing, they stopped printing and mailing paper tickets. But subscribers could still generate pdf tickets, and print them out for attendees without smart phones. PDFs are also the method to resell, for example, on StubHub.

Today, my team announced that in 2018, no more pdfs. No printing tickets. No gifting tickets in Christmas Stockings....

So I wonder... how do people without smartphones, no team app, no ability to display an image or barcode, get into the game?

As a side note, the NFL has an exclusive relationship with TicketMaster. Resales are permitted via Ticketmaster. StubHub, which relies on pdfs for NFL sales, will be thwarted by this change. . I get that the decision is about money and the relationhip between NFL & TicketMaster .

But I still cant fathom how this will work for those without an Android or iPhone.

And, it also makes me wonder.... what else is stymied by lack of a phone?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To do what?

For other context.... I have a phone. The person who attends games with me, and many others I know, have flip phones.... no apps-capability.

My bad - I thought the problem was with coming up with a copy of the ticket. Use business center computer and printer but I guess if they are no longer printing the tickets at all and you can't download to your phone - perhaps SOL!

I'm guessing your NFL team is the Denver Broncos:

So it looks like you'll need to pickup an RFID card from the ticketing office instead.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/21/denver-broncos-mobile-only-entry-for-2018-season/

Thanks

Thats a good read. No, my team is not the Broncos. Bay Area here, and was stupid enough to buy licenses to seats in 49ers new stadium.

The article doesnt say much about the RFID cards.... I can see a card being a solution for a season ticket holder without a smartphone. But not for the single game attendee.

Im guessing 9ers will also use RFID Cards.

What is clear to me... its not about security or convenience.... its about money. The NFL and TicketMaster have an arrangement. Through 2017, NFL Ticket Exchange was the brand, but it was just a label/portal to TicketMaster. Theyve announced elimination of the Exchange brand name, but remain aligned with Ticketmaster.

Ive had much better luck selling on StubHub or even craigslist... and careful searching shows that Ticketmaster offers lower sales fees for venue/team tickets compared to ticket holders' resale tix. 7-8% compared to 17% if buying a resale (plus 10% fee deducted from seller reimbursement)

While I have season tickets 20+ years, my experiences since buying licenses in their new stadium have been a major deterrent..... I went from never missing a game to never going, selling what I can, or throwing tix in trash.

Its a horrible racket ....and if there are football fans here, in the LA or Vegas markets where new stadiums are being built, I caution: dont get sucked into buying seat licenses.

I have a luddite friend who insists on keeping his shitty flip phone and does not do any social apps or whatever. Still expects me to google stalk the hot young things he meets and send him pictures. He's not even 50.

He doesn't really go to concerts and such so it's not really a concern for the most part.

I have a luddite friend who insists on keeping his shitty flip phone and does not do any social apps or whatever. Still expects me to google stalk the hot young things he meets and send him pictures. He's not even 50.

He doesn't really go to concerts and such so it's not really a concern for the most part.

LOL at Luddite.

Knew what it was, of course, but didn't realize the term was currently in vogue - until it was covered yesterday in the CBS Sunday Morning Almanac spot.

Do you know anyone without a smartphone?

Me

I turn my flip phone on once or twice a month to make a call, then turn it off. Charge it every couple of months. Only receive calls when I know one's coming, so I turn the phone on. Have texted maybe 5-7 times in my life.

I prefer my landline and answering machine. And desktop computer. I still have a vcr set up, but haven't used it in about a year.

Me as well. I have one of those LG thingies that slides open to reveal a mini keyboard. After 4 1/2 years with it I am gradually learning how to text. So far I can confidently answer a text, but haven’t quite gotten there yet with sending. On the other hand, I have an ipad mini and LOVE it. It does pretty much everything a smart(er) phone would do except it needs wifi. My secretary is always on me to get a smart phone, and I am strangely resistant.

Do you know anyone without a smartphone? No iPhone or Android? Maybe even no cellphone?

I don’t know anyone without a smartphone. I would feel weird around them. I have had a smartphone since early 2003.

Me

Me as well

Ooooops... awkward.

Well I guess you are not going to the games, then.

So I wonder... how do people without smartphones, no team app, no ability to display an image or barcode, get into the game?

Can you let me know how much are these NFL ticket?

Are they really cheap? Because if they are not cheap, I guess they have decided that anyone today would have needed a smartphone in their life for many obvious other reasons, long before they actually needed an NFL ticket, and would have spent the $100 for at least the cheapest smartphone before they would spend an equal amount to go to the games.

I have a smartphone but don't use it that much for calls. I really enjoy being able to text. I don't have much of an interest in the apps. In smartphone years, mine is really old- it's a Samsung note 3 that I've had for about 4 years. I'm not eager to lay out another 600.00 for a new phone.

I have a smartphone but don't use it that much for calls. I really enjoy being able to text. I don't have much of an interest in the apps. In smartphone years, mine is really old- it's a Samsung note 3 that I've had for about 4 years. I'm not eager to lay out another 600.00 for a new phone.

I still have a Samsung Galaxy III. Have not once thought I needed more. I've never been one to be first in line (or even in line for that matter) for the latest tech. Yet, I suppose I can be counted as one of those who have a smartphone.

Its a horrible racket ....and if there are football fans here, in the LA or Vegas markets where new stadiums are being built, I caution: dont get sucked into buying seat licenses.

There are so many rackets when it comes to professional sports, it’s hard to know where to begin. But on the subject of ticket sales generally, I found this story about the resale ticket market during the 2015 Super bowl to be facinating, particularly because I remember a lot of fanatical Seahawks fans around here going nuts about it. It’s well worth a listen:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/02/02/582861315/episode-822-the-shortest-super-bowl

Edited by saminseattle

My next door neighbor, a married woman who is just a little older than I am, just got her 1st smart phone. One of her sons, the straight one I believe (she was recently on that outs with her gay son because she thinks everybody needs to quit holding a grudge against Trump and come together, and the gay son became upset-imagine). She’s not too sure about it yet. She says she sees how they can become addicting.

Then there’s my 91 year old Uncle. He’s totally with it. You’d probably think he was in his 70’s if you saw him. He’s been emailing for years and loves web surfing on his iPad. But he seems to take some kind of pride in his non-smart flip phone, not texting, and not belonging to Facebook.

Gman

Can you let me know how much are these NFL ticket?

Are they really cheap? Because if they are not cheap, I guess they have decided that anyone today would have needed a smartphone in their life for many obvious other reasons, long before they actually needed an NFL ticket, and would have spent the $100 for at least the cheapest smartphone before they would spend an equal amount to go to the games.

I dont know the full price range, but I know that there are tickets well below $100.... and I'd say $100-$125 is the median.

I know plenty of financially comfortable people who can afford, but dont want, a smartphone. People who've gone to football games, have iPads, but dont want anything more than a cellphone when they're out and about. I had a kindle, an ipod, and a tablet for years before I got a smartphone. I kept my 2006 Moto Razr flipphone until 2013 because it was enough.

I sell most of my NFL tickets.... and the number one reason potential buyers report not completing the purchase: they want paper tickets. They dont even want pdfs they can print themselves. They certainly dont want to need some app to display an e*ticket/barcode/qr code.

I dont think its about affordability. Its about the NFL and team franchises exploiting the herd mentality that drives people to be fascinated by their phones. And their exclusive relationship with TicketMaster .

I still have a Samsung Galaxy III. Have not once thought I needed more. I've never been one to be first in line (or even in line for that matter) for the latest tech. Yet, I suppose I can be counted as one of those who have a smartphone.

Before the note 3, I think I had a galaxy II.

I've never been one to be first in line

She says she sees how they can become addicting.

people to be fascinated by their phones.

Jeeze , it is just a tool. It is an “all in one tool” for many things: maps, encyclopedia, music, books, calling other people, watching TV, yellow pages, translator, etc.

It just a miniaturised version of all these things that used to take so much room, and that you couldn’t do on the move because you wouldn’t carry an encyclopedia with you.

There is no need to wait in line for it, that is a complete waste of your own time, they always make enough. And there is no reason to become obsessed by it, it is like being obsessed by your new hammer. It is a tool! Anyone who thinks they might fall into bad habits have no self control. I am not going to have respect for openly admitting their lack of self control.

Edited by Tarte Gogo

Me

I turn my flip phone on once or twice a month to make a call, then turn it off. Charge it every couple of months. Only receive calls when I know one's coming, so I turn the phone on. Have texted maybe 5-7 times in my life.

I prefer my landline and answering machine. And desktop computer. I still have a vcr set up, but haven't used it in about a year.

We could be identical twins, except that I have never even had a VCR or DVD player. I never have any reason to use a smartphone, so why would I want to spend the money for it, and carry around something that awkward (Where do men put their smartphones? Much of the time I wear only a short-sleeved shirt and shorts.).

Of course, I am considered technically sophisticated by one of my close friends, who doesn't have any kind of cellphone, nor computer, and has never even owned a TV or an automobile. The only invention of the last 150 years that he really treasures is the electric light.

When I went to a game at Wrigley Field last year there was an uncomfortable moment where a bunch of us were standing at the entrance cursing StubHub, which had chosen to have a bad hair day. It eventually righted itself, but not before a bunch of us queued up at the ticket office. (You can show up there, show ID, and get them to print a paper ticket.)

The unkindest cut there is that without a ticket you can't even get access to the plaza (and the beer vendors) outside the park. I would've been OK waiting with a cold beer in my hand. ;)

I do know people who don't own smartphones. A cousin, a few years younger than me, still uses his flip phone. He's a working contractor and not particularly flush with cash. He mostly has a cell phone in case there's a problem with one of his kids or grandkids. He just can't justify (to himself) the expense of a smartphone.

Jeeze , it is just a tool. It is an “all in one tool” for many things: maps, encyclopedia, music, books, calling other people, watching TV, yellow pages, translator, etc.

That's the thing about smartphone-aphobes -- there is often this curmudgeonly pride about "not needing" a device that I just don't understand. They never go somewhere new where they need directions? Thet never interact with someone where there is a language barrier? They never want to find a new restaurant in an unfamiliar area? I guess I just don't know that many shut-ins, but my guess is that most of them rely on other people's devices. ;)

I do know people who don't own smartphones. A cousin, a few years younger than me, still uses his flip phone. He's a working contractor and not particularly flush with cash. He mostly has a cell phone in case there's a problem with one of his kids or grandkids. He just can't justify (to himself) the expense of a smartphone.

Aren’t there some really cheap smart phones out there? Of course they are probably as slow as Christmas, and then there’d be the outlay for the data each month. And of course if he already has a phone then whatever he gets -a new flip phone or new smartphone would be an outlay.

Gman

Me

Right now I don't. I had an iPhone and used it about 3 times. Then the battery blew up. And I just never could quite figure it out. People kept saying it was intuitive but it never quite made sense to me or I would turn it off/on without knowing. And that female voice kept coming on. I never texted. However, I have to give in and get one for health purposes. My relatives are insisting. I guess it is because I tend not to answer my landline either. Oh, well.