No smartphone?

LaffingBear
This topic is 1121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't mind my phone ringing at home, but I don't like my iPhone ringing when I'm busy or doing something I enjoy. For me it's irritating and I'm fascinated by all the folks who seem to take such things in stride. This whole new way of human communication has sprung up right under my nose. ??

Text messages are especially irritating. I could be taking a hike and enjoying all the wildflowers, or watching something on TV, or daydreaming out in the sun and all of a sudden there's this alert that wants my attention. Does anybody else find this a pain in the ass?

Why the heck would you be irritated for even one second over something that has such an easy fix????

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to what @Bucky posted -

Certainly not an iPhone expert but:

(and it depends on the iOS version you are running) You can go to Apple Apps Store and download a free User Manual for your iPhone iOS version.

Go into your contacts list and assign different “ringtones” (call) and “alerts” (texts) for your different contacts. Use one series for Family. Another for Close Friends. Another for Business. Etc. That way you will have a good idea of the importance of the call just by the ringtone.

With iOS11 and later you have the option, if the caller is not in your contact list, to have the call go immediately to voicemail without ringing the phone. Probably a good idea to record a voicemail greeting that warns callers they need to leave a message if they expect you to get back to them.

You can easily block numbers. Got to “Recents”. Push the little “i” button. Scroll down and tap “Block Number”.

Why the heck would you be irritated for even one second over something that has such an easy fix????

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

Good idea! ? I've considered that but was reluctant to do it. As you're more experienced with messaging than I am, perhaps you could smarten me up on an etiquette question.

I've always assumed that someone who sends me an instant message is expecting a timely response. But perhaps I've had it wrong.

Would it be considered good form to check instant messages at the end of the day? Or over the weekend?

If I've misunderstood, and there's no implied sense of urgency to an instant message, your fix is exactly the one I've been looking for! ?

I have one friend left who has no phone other than a land line and no email. Makes things really hard...

I had one friend left without a smartphone and it became too much to deal with her because of that. Constant requests to help fix her Garmin gps, losing her in stores, her never hearing her doorbell and mad because my doorbell doesnt work. Too much.

Edited by tassojunior

I guess my point is that each of us may have particular views of how and when we should respond (if at all) to missed calls, voicemails, texts, e-mails and snail mail, but we can't assume that others share our views. Silence may indicate rudeness but we should not assume that it does.

Yes, people obviously do have "different views" about how/when to respond to messages, but there does come a certain point when not responding does become rude. I remember Miss Manners (a US columnist) opining about such rudeness in some of her columns. If someone takes the time and effort to invite you to a party, dinner, wedding, or whatever, the inviter is entitled to a reasonable response. Either yes, thank for the invitation, no I can't but thanks, or I can't tell you right now because of X, but I'll be able to tell you in Y days. To not respond in a reasonable amount of time is simply rude and portrays ill manners.

I have a certain niece who is a spoiled brat and doesn't respond to messages. Other relatives (and myself) have stopped communicating with her, or giving her gifts, because she had "particular views" of how to respond to gifts and invitations, namely not. I stopped sending her birthday presents when she had continued to not even answer texts inquiring as to whether she'd received a gift by the age of 23. I figured if she hasn't learned manners by the age of 23, she never will, and I haven't sent her a gift since. My other relatives eventually stopped as well.

Few people enjoy interacting with her, and she's living as a spinster old maid.

• 2 weeks later...