Actors you can't stand (mannerisms, voice, looks, roles chosen, etc.)

samhexum

He's on CHICAGO P.D. (which I don't watch), & was on the USA series THE 4400 (which I DID watch).

I've liked him since he slept with his half-sister on SVU.

I remember that SVU episode. When he found out that he was related he became physically ill. Dr Huang said you can't fake that response. Yet he did as an actor!

I liked the 4400.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4400

I really never liked Robin Williams, RIP. I thought he was talented, but just didn't like his style.

I agree on Neil Patrick Harris. I always thought he was unsuited for the roll in "How I met your mother". He was good one year when he hosted one of the awards shows, like the opening number was good. Other than that, I am not a fan.

Honestly, I don't watch enough movies or television to comment on this thread, but I did anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Never cared for Tom Cruise. Risky Business, All the Right Moves, Top Gun, Rain Man all seemed like the same guy to me. I really liked Minority Report, but my assessment was that the movie was so good that it almost made me forget that Tom Cruise was in it.

Dulé Hill has zero range, he can't annunciate, and his facial expressions always seem ridiculously exaggerated.

Kelsey Grammer can never escape his Frasier Crane role. The only other good work he's done was as Sideshow Bob on The Simpsons.

Melanie Griffith always seems like she's reading her lines from cue cards just outside camera view.

Keanu Reeves.

Daryl Hannah.

Liv Tyler.

Mandy Patinkin

Joan Cusack

Julie Haggerty

Valerie Mahaffey

Alfred Molina

Courtney B. Vance

Mandy Patinkin (so annoying, he had to be named twice)

Unbelievably, when Linda Bloodworth-Thomason tried to spin Suzanne Sugarbaker off into her own series, Mahaffey was in the original cast, then was replaced in the same role by Haggerty. No doubt, had the series been a hit, Cusack would've taken over the role eventually.

BTW, otherwise, the show had a stellar cast. Teri Garr was a regular, as was Patricia Heaton. Jonathan Banks also was in it. There were also a few notable guest stars:

Babysitter Debbie from The Addams Family Values?! For this role alone, I will always love Joan Cusack.

Can't stand Tom Hardy right now. Ever since the uber-pretentious Taboo he seems to be obsessed with cultivating this vintage gentleman persona which comes across as very forced. I'd rather he stuck with his Bane gimp-mask.

• 3 months later...
She's on "Chicago PD".

I can not stand her!

https://www.instagram.com/marinasqu/?hl=en

She claims she is the secret scion of a Manhattan financier — her Dalton and college tuition paid by a furtive father she never knew, while her single mother cashed his monthly checks like clockwork for 20 years.

Today she is a beautiful star of a television police procedural who has taken a leading role in a real-life legal drama over the late mogul’s $100 million fortune.

Marina Squerciati, 36, who plays cop Kim Burgess on NBC’s “Chicago P.D.,” has never spoken about her dad, because he swore for years to provide for her in his will, according to court papers.

But John R. Jakobson — who at age 25 in 1955 became one of the youngest people ever to buy a seat on the New York Stock Exchange — broke his pledge, the actress claims.

The price of keeping quiet for most of her life, Marina claims, was “extraordinary.”

She lost the chance to bond with Jakobson, who died in April 2017 of pneumonia at age 86, and she was denied “any relationship whatsoever with her half-siblings,” say documents filed in Manhattan Surrogate’s Court.

One of those possible siblings is also a TV actress: Maggie Wheeler, 59, who is best known for her role on “Friends” as Chandler Bing’s irritating, nasal-voiced on-again off-again girlfriend, Janice.

In a 2017 interview, Squerciati told EW, “I don’t have any siblings.”

About 6 million viewers tune in for “Chicago P.D.,” where Squerciati pals around with castmates Sophia Bush and Amy Morton, who arranged a baby shower for Marina when she was pregnant with her daughter. The girl was born last year, a month after Jakobson’s death.

Jakobson’s family, including his widow of 34 years, Park Avenue socialite and noted etiquette author Joan Jakobson, apparently never knew of Marina’s existence.

“I’m not aware of it at all,” Joan Jakobson told The Post, asking incredulously, “She said she was John’s daughter?”

She later added, “This has all hit me, like, I don’t know — a snowstorm.”

When Marina got engaged, Marie Squerciati asked Jakobson if he would send a gift.

He replied by reaffirming that the girl “would receive money under his will,” his daughter claims.

But that never happened.

Jakobson’s estate plans included money for his first and second wives, his three surviving children and his stepdaughter through Joan, as well as funds for a namesake foundation.

Lawyers for the Squerciatis reached out to the estate in September to ask if Marina was named a beneficiary, court papers show. It’s unclear how much money the actress is seeking.

Nicholas Jakobson, the executor of his father’s estate, “has devoted substantial time and . . . considerable legal expense in analyzing the claim,” according to a court filing by the estate, which slams Marina Squerciati’s allegations as having “no basis in fact or law.”

Squerciati’s bid to be included in her alleged father’s massive estate “amounts to nothing more than an avaricious attempt to enforce an alleged, vague oral promise made to [her] mother, rather than to herself, and which resulted in no legally recognizable injury to her,” Jakobson’s lawyers asserted.

Even if Marina Squerciati could prove Jakobson is her biological father, she has no written evidence of his promise to provide for her in his will, the lawyers argued.

She had “ample opportunity as an adult” to get Jakobson to put his commitment in writing, the financier’s lawyers claim.

Keeping the secret may have even been something Marina Squerciati herself wanted, say the lawyers, who offered her a paltry $50,000 settlement.

“She may have wished to avoid the opprobrium, which, although unfair and unjustified, is often cast upon nonmarital children,” the lawyers wrote.

“As a successful actor, [she] may have been especially sensitive to this given her public persona and position in popular culture.”

The Squerciatis did not respond to requests for comment.

gettyimages-496471128.jpg

After seeing Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters in "Sunday in the Park with George" I played the tape of the Original Broadcast Cast over and over again. When he's performing by himself, I would rather visit South Sudan, one of the most dangerous places in the world. But, I did like him in Sunday in the Park.

The only stage performers I dislike are the few who "walk through" the role as if they do not care. The worst, by far, was Georgia Brown in "Oliver" in the 1960s.

As to Broadway shows, "The Sound of Music" had a confusing plot (fixed in the film). And Maria (Mary Martin) was a boring character on stage. Dolly Gallagher Levi was a far better fit for Martin.

1280px-A_Sunday_on_La_Grande_Jatte%2C_Georges_Seurat%2C_1884.png

An amusing anecdote:

The Goodman Theatre used to be located on the Art Institute of Chicago's campus (where the Modern wing is now). The produced Sunday in the Park with George that placed the production within about 1000' of Seurat's La Grande Jette.

Somewhat unrealistic to see a play about a painting when the painting is a ten minute walk away!

There was a reference to "The Painting Over the Bar" in the production at the Goodman. For the duration of the show, the Art Institute moved Seurat's final preparatory study of Bathers at Ansieres (the final painting is in the National Gallery, London) over the Bar in the theatre lobby.

final-study-for-bathers-at-asnieres-georges-pierre-seurat.jpg?&targetx=0&targety=-58&imagewidth=952&imageheight=593&modelwidth=952&modelheight=476&backgroundcolor=64685A&orientation=1&producttype=bathtowel-15-30

I love it when people do mind tricks like that!

Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers

Not funny and neither witty nor quick.

Could you clarify how you feel about Joan Rivers?

My former roommate & I were HUGE Bee Gees fans. Her father was the 'sound man' for Joan Rivers' talk show. One day they were on... he never called us to come meet them. "Oh, I didn't think you'd be interested." We never let him live it down.

Edited by samhexum

Now my post:

Johnny Depp (except in movies like Edward Scissorhands, where he was unrecognizable as JD)

Jody Foster, especially in Silence of the Lambs (major miscasting) and Contact (which I thought was Sci-Fi, but turned out to be a chick flick).

I thought John Revolta was fabulous in Broken Arrow:

"You're crazy, and you've got an atomic bomb!"

"I know ... ain't it great?"