Actors you can't stand (mannerisms, voice, looks, roles chosen, etc.)

samhexum

Mandy Patinkin

Joan Cusack

Julie Haggerty

Valerie Mahaffey

Alfred Molina

Courtney B. Vance

Mandy Patinkin (so annoying, he had to be named twice)

Unbelievably, when Linda Bloodworth-Thomason tried to spin Suzanne Sugarbaker off into her own series, Mahaffey was in the original cast, then was replaced in the same role by Haggerty. No doubt, had the series been a hit, Cusack would've taken over the role eventually.

BTW, otherwise, the show had a stellar cast. Teri Garr was a regular, as was Patricia Heaton. Jonathan Banks also was in it. There were also a few notable guest stars:

Mandy Patinkin (so annoying, he had to be named twice)

I'd put Kristin Chenoweth in the same category.

Now, to clarify things, I think that both Patinkin and Chenoweth are incredibly talented. But both have mannerisms that just put me off. In her case, it's her girly squeak of a speaking voice, and her unrelenting cute-cute-cuteness. It's just too much.

How about Fran Drescher and that whiny sound she makes?

Adam Sandler, and similar comedians whose singular, overtired schtick is that they're nothing but little boys. (I used to feel similarly about Kimmel, but I feel he actually finally grew up. Especially this year.)

I also regrettably list one actual child actor - I say regrettably, because I don't think it's great form to criticize young performers in general - but I've always thought that Danielle Brisebois, the girl who became the new regular character on All In The Family once Struthers and Reiner had left, was just out of her league. Not much spark on camera, and she always sounded like she was reading her lines for the first time. She was in the original cast of Annie on Broadway, so I tend to wonder if she was better suited for the stage than for the camera. But the result is that those set of episodes really went downhill. (I also think the departure of Struthers and Reiner had a lot to do with that, but casting Brisebois wasn't the answer.)

Mandy Patinkin

Donald Sutherland

Bernadette Peters

Liev Shriber

Michelle Williams

Liza Minnelli

Too bad you feel that way about Sutherland - I admire his work. First time I saw him was as the father in Ordinary People, which I still think is a fabulous movie. I think he made a wonderful foil for Mary Tyler Moore in her heartbreaking role as the mother. (And his last scene with her, where he so calmly, yet so sadly, questions whether he still loves her, always brings me to tears.)

As far as Minnelli goes, she's another actress/singer who is undeniably insanely talented, but yes, her manner can get in the way sometimes. She's a bit like Streisand to me in the sense that she tends to push a lot of the time - she "shows her work" instead of making what she does seem effortless. But that doesn't mean I don't also admire her a great deal. She's earned her rightful place among the greats, IMO.

Peters - I know some people hate her (there's an amusing thread on one of the theatre chat boards right now, wagering if she will find a place to predictably break out crying when she takes on Dolly on Broadway next month) - but I've always been a fan. However, again, I can understand how some people can't get by her mannerisms.

I generally like... or don't like... performers and then change my mind after I learn more about them off-camera and off-stage. I found Henry Fonda boring in so many of his otherwise great Hollywood movies, but appreciated him after I learned more about his life. Then again, he wasn't kind to Charles Laughton on stage (The Caine Mutiny Court Marshall) but this brings up another issue: we have to judge all people as faulty and products of their very faulty times. I will always like Jack Benny because he treated Eddie "Rochester" Anderson equally among his cast regardless of any stock jokes on the air about dice gambling or spooks.

George Clooney. I think he's a great guy, very stylish and handsome, but I've always found his acting to be just playing himself, never convincing in whatever role he's playing.

In one of the books behind the Star Trek movies, Nicholas Meyer talks about directing Shatner. He says some actors are *actors*, and some are "stars", and Shatner was a star :-) The scene where they take over Khan's ship to drop its shields, and Kirk's line "Here it comes" - Meyer wanted it delivered subtly, without any swagger or boasting. He said it took dozens of takes, and he only got the take he wanted when Shatner got tired of the multiple takes.

[quote="bostonman, post: 1429156, member: 4409"t just put me off. In her case,

I also regrettably list one actual child actor - I say regrettably, because I don't think it's great form to criticize young performers in general - but I've always thought that Danielle Brisebois, the girl who became the new regular character on All In The Family once Struthers and Reiner had left, was just out of her league. Not much spark on camera, and she always sounded like she was reading her lines for the first time. She was in the original cast of Annie on Broadway, so I tend to wonder if she was better suited for the stage than for the camera. But the result is that those set of episodes really went downhill. (I also think the departure of Struthers and Reiner had a lot to do with that, but casting Brisebois wasn't the answer.)

She is a successful singer/songwriter now. Sue wrote Unwritten and Pocketful of Sunshine for Natasha Bedingfield. She was also in the The Radicals