Do You Collect Anything?

Avalon
This topic is 2383 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tchotchkes I put away after I get them, & never use or look at again.

tchotch·ke

plural noun: tchotchkes

1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a small object that is decorative rather than strictly functional; a trinket.

If that's the case, just get rid of them. They aint doing you any good in the closet....

Tchotchkes I put away after I get them, & never use or look at again.

tchotch·ke

plural noun: tchotchkes

1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a small object that is decorative rather than strictly functional; a trinket.

My aunt Olive did that with sets of china. It was what she liked to do, and it gave her joy and satisfaction. Go with it. :)

A friend had several sets of dishes. He was looking for a tureen at a second hand store. He found one ... Spode, I think, retailed for $150.

"How much?" he asked.

"$25," the proprietess said. My friend gulped.

"hmmmmm ... well ... okay."

"I got these dishes that go with it. $15 for them."

It was five piece place settings for twelve.

A friend had several sets of dishes. He was looking for a tureen at a second hand store. He found one ... Spode, I think, retailed for $150.

"How much?" he asked.

"$25," the proprietess said. My friend gulped.

"hmmmmm ... well ... okay."

"I got these dishes that go with it. $15 for them."

It was five piece place settings for twelve.

The lure of "a good deal" is the reason I have accumulated all this crap that is now weighing me down. I too had several sets of dishes for 12, but my fancy dinner partys for large groups are long gone. All I need is 2 place settings: for me and the cock of the day..... In my old age, my motto is "less is more"... (except when it comes to cock)

Chinese hardwood furniture (huanghuali, zitan), Peking glass vases, and Edo/ Meiji era folding screens.

That sounds like a wonderful collection. I collect Japanese prints, and would love to learn more about screens - have admired them but don't know enough about them!

Japanese prints from the 20th Century (Shin Hanga artists), certain American gay artists (Paul Cadmus, for example).....

I collect gay artists, too. Have Cadmus and his old lover, Jared French.

My avatar is one of the pictures in my collection.

Edited by bigjoey

As a reminder of Broadway shows I've seen

Posters, coffee mugs, magnets, my playbills and ticket stubs. I've got a wall of mini posters on my kitchen wall as well larger posters

through out my apartment. Dozens of magnets are on my refrigerator and my coffee mugs are on the kitchen window sill and shelf.

As a reminder of Broadway shows I've seen

Posters, coffee mugs, magnets, my playbills and ticket stubs. I've got a wall of mini posters on my kitchen wall as well larger posters

through out my apartment. Dozens of magnets are on my refrigerator and my coffee mugs are on the kitchen window sill and shelf.

I have Broadway tickets and playbill going back to my first show in 1978.

I have Broadway tickets and playbill going back to my first show in 1978.

I once saw a Fabulous bathroom that was wallpapered in Playbill covers... At least they are put to good use and can be SEEN that way ! I never saw the point of collectibles that are stashed away....