Please think before getting a dog!

marylander1940
This topic is 1175 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Peter Dinklage urges 'Game of Thrones' fans to stop buying huskies just because they look like direwolves

Game of Thrones fans are some of the most loyal around, but lately they’ve been showing their love for the show in a way that’s harmful to animals. There has been an increase in demand for huskies due to their resemblance to the show’s direwolves, the mythical large and intelligent wolves that the Stark children are given in the first episode. The direwolf is also the sigil of house Stark.

The problem with the increased demand is that shelters are unfortunately filling up with abandoned huskies, who are given up by owners once the novelty has worn off and the reality of having to care for one sets in. So now Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion Lannister on Thrones, has paired up with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to tell people to think before buying a new pet.

“Please, please, if you’re going to bring a dog into your family, make sure that you’re prepared for such a tremendous responsibility and remember to always, always, adopt from a shelter,” Dinklage said in an official statement.

So if Game of Thrones has you itching for a Ghost, Nymeria, Summer, Shaggydog, Lady, or Grey Wind of your own, but you’re not sure you can commit to taking care of a live one, maybe consider an adorable stuffed animal instead?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/peter-dinklage-urges-game-thrones-fans-stop-buying-huskies-just-look-like-direwolves-181431276.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I love dogs.
  • I dont have a dog. I travel with minimal notice. Often away from home for long hours. It wouldn't be fair to the animal.
  • I had a college ex-roommate who got a dog, tired of the dog, tied its leash to the police station door. Not long thereafter got a new puppy, tired of it, and abandoned that one at the police station too. I think that was the moment in life I understood the term "seeing red!" But thats why I wont get a dog until Im certain I can provide a longterm appropriate home.

• I love dogs.
  • I dont have a dog. I travel with minimal notice. Often away from home for long hours. It wouldn't be fair to the animal.
  • I had a college ex-roommate who got a dog, tired of the dog, tied its leash to the police station door. Not long thereafter got a new puppy, tired of it, and abandoned that one at the police station too. I think that was the moment in life I understood the term "seeing red!" But thats why I wont get a dog until Im certain I can provide a longterm appropriate home.

Once you have a dog, it is inconvenient to not be able to just take off and travel or stay out late working or partying. I have four. They are a great reason to stay home and a great excuse to avoid staying late at work or going out when I would rather be in bed. I do need to shape my life around them, but that shape turns out to be a heart.

• I love dogs.

Once you have a dog, it is inconvenient to not be able to just take off and travel or stay out late working or partying. I have four. They are a great reason to stay home and a great excuse to avoid staying late at work or going out when I would rather be in bed. I do need to shape my life around them, but that shape turns out to be a heart.

This story reminds me of folks getting Chihuahuas when Paris Hilton was famous and all of the sudden getting rid of them because they weren't cool anymore...

Or the number of pet rabbits that are discarded a month after Easter.

Chiming in with everyone else, it is a life-changing responsibility. I'm a mostly-single dog dad, and I organize a lot of my work and recreational schedule around her. Dogs don't do well when they're left alone consistently. I see that in some neighbors, and while the dog is still better off with them than in a shelter, it still bothers me. Happily, the vast majority of my neighbors with dogs (and it's a dog-heavy neighborhood) treat them well.

This reminds me of all those idiot Brits who bought and not long afterward abandoned owls because their kids fell in love after that first stupid harry potter film. And, before that, Dalmatians, one of the biggest pain in the ass dogs you can find, all abandoned just after 101 Dalmatians.

I always had pets, at one time 3 dogs and a pussy... Overtime I lost them, and the losses were devastating, but while I had them, they bought the greatest joy to my life... BUT my life was always centered around the pets. Like with children, they are an endless commitment, and they NEED you... While I shared responsibility with my longtime partner, after he passed I no longer found it convenient for me to have pets, so made the sacrifice to be petless, which has its perks, BUT nothing beats cuddling up at night with your "best friend" (no, not the one with 10").....

I've found this https://www.bringfido.com/ to be a good resource for pet-friendly restaurants, I haven't looked into it for hotels yet. it's becoming a bigger factor in my selection of where to eat. I've submitted a handful of places near me to list on the site. I just found a HUGEly dog-friendly restaurant near me: they sponsor pet adoption events on their patio, they have a 'dog dinner' a couple times a year complete with a dog menu, and the night I went there, they brought out treats (not just biscuits) so often that I almost couldn't finish my own meal.

Cats are wonderful pets as well, and do not require as much care as dogs. Yes, cats are somewhat more independent but it's a quality that fits my personality far better.

This story reminds me of folks getting Chihuahuas when Paris Hilton was famous and all of the sudden getting rid of them because they weren't cool anymore...

Or they get rid of them because they hadn't realized it's actual work to care for a dog.

A news story about the glut of small dogs in SoCal shelters back in the Paris Hilton days is what sent me out looking for my last companion (who I found dead on Christmas morning last year). Most of them were aloof (terrified) but this little guy sniffed my hand, rolled over on his back ON my feet, and begged for a tummy rub. I can take a hint. :p

I'm just now starting over with a new puppy, so I have two years of teething and terrier tugging (he's already pulled down the shower curtain) to look forward to, but one look in that puppy face and I'm happy.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Whenever this subject is discussed, it seems that 80% of the people who post own dogs. I am 74-years old and nobody has ever asked me to take care of their dog for even a few hours. I did not realize it until just now. Confusing because I would be more than happy to oblige.

I have a very good friend who travels frequently and was making noise about getting a dog a couple years ago. He actually wanted a Husky. It had nothing to do with Game of Thrones, but was an equally stupid reason. He had dreams of going running with a dog. A Husky? In Texas? In the summer?

After making a point of telling him when I couldn't join a weekend getaway to Houston because of dog care issues. Or pointing out every time I had to leave an event early because of my dog. Or how much extra our week in Costa Rica cost me because of dog boarding. He finally came around and decided he would wait to get a dog until he was "settled down." ( AKA my age :))

My dog can actually tell when I am expecting a gentleman caller. The things I do to get my bedroom ready are a dead giveaway and he is not amused. He knows he is going to be shut out of the bedroom for a time while God only knows what is happening to create those noises!

He parks himself near the front door and stares daggers at it until they arrive. Then when the bedroom door opens he scolds them all the way to the front door. It would be an absolutely fearsome sight if he wasn't an old, gray-haired, overweight Pug. :)

My dog can actually tell when I am expecting a gentleman caller. The things I do to get my bedroom ready are a dead giveaway and he is not amused. He knows he is going to be shut out of the bedroom for a time while God only knows what is happening to create those noises!

Cats may be less aware of company, but they know when you about to leave for a few days

The times when I have been dog-less have been exciting and liberating, because I can go wherever and whenever I want, and keep whatever hours I want. But the pleasure in freedom always wears off, and then I want a canine companion, for all the affection and entertainment he provides. Right now we have a dog who hates to let us out of his sight, unless he can be with someone else he loves. I haven't been on a plane for almost two years, because it is hard to leave him behind. Our travels are planned around dog-friendly hotels/motels and restaurants. Tonight we are going out to a nice restaurant without him, because our neighbors offer to entertain him when we want to eat somewhere other than an outdoor patio, and we reciprocate with their dog.

• I love dogs.

Same here. I want a Pom, but I'm not confident I'll be able to take care of it adequately.

A rescue, nearly 1 year old. My first was a girl, and girls are trouble, let me tell you. The 2nd time at the drive through she nearly jumped through to see where the hamburgers were coming from. The time she pushed the car door open when trying to load the groceries and she ran off to find her own way into the store that I'd left her for earlier. She knew he was high maintenance already, so never failed to tease her brother. How she loved getting a rise out of him. She would never give me a kiss, even turned her head the other way, when I asked for one. Mind games, her forte. Knowing when she gave you a start, did her heart good. But inside, there was still a heart of gold. Anyone that was smitten with me, she warmed up to immediately. Somehow she knew. Never bit anyone. Playful. Could catch a frisbie on the fly. Was a beautiful and sleek animal. Too smart for my own good. After all these years I still get a lump in my throat thinking about my girl.

I only admire them from a distance. I do not and most likely will never own a pet.

Just curious, is it only Americans who blur the line between a family member and a pet?

Most of my friends from other countries find this American-ness weird. (Obviously I'm basing this only on a very narrow control group of just my friends, but I have yet to see a framed photo of my friends and their pets hanging in anywhere in their homes.)