One more thread to all dog lovers. Adopt from a shelter if you can.

marylander1940
This topic is 2423 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Always adopted and, quick plug, even "problem" dogs can be the best of friends!

I didn't really like how the video shared little of the previous owners situation but put them in a bad light though. I volunteer at a shelter and definitely see a lot of returns and giving up dogs because of "inconvenience" and it makes me angry to no end. But I also see lots of really heartbreaking surrenders :(

surrendering a dog but not trying to let the dog catch on sounds like the owner cared enough to not want to see the heartbreak and I just wonder if the baby caused them to be financially incapable of caring for a dog

Last time I adopted the local shelters were reeling under the number of surrenders due to financial hardship at the height of the recession.

After my dog picked me, while I was in line to process the adoption, I observed a number of such surrenders ahead of me. It was heartbreaking. Leaving that place with only one dog that day was mighty difficult.

I know this may be a sacrilege in a dogs lovers thread, but I wanted to share that I adopted my kitty from a shelter and we are a very happy couple.

Yes, I adopted a three-year old female cat from a shelter 11 months ago. She was described as shy, so I knew I might be her only chance. Shy is correct, but not with me. She is extremely friendly and a wonderful kitty.

Labs are great animals which can be trained to do many things but food and toys are always a temptation for them. Bonehead, my yellow lab, follows me around the house on the off chance that I may be eating something and I will drop it, giving him a chance to snatch it up. He was a rescue from a puppy store who got him from a puppy mill. He had congenital hip dysplasia and needed both hips removed at age 4 months. He is now almost 10 years old and except for a bout or two with cancer and a seizure here and there, he is doing great. He one time wrote a review for Davidsf, so he is officially a member of the forum, though David took a lot of guff as people were not sure whether Bonehead was a dog or a dog wannabe. He is, most definitely, a dog.

Labs are great animals which can be trained to do many things but food and toys are always a temptation for them.

Well, and they are RETRIEVERS. Labs and Goldens retrieve. Often things you wish they wouldn't. :p

But people lovers, oh yeah. I was once sitting on a beach blanket with a friend when a big, majestic black lab just walked between us and paused. He looked at us like "well?". He wanted to share a little love. (And he got it because we were both dog lovers.) His owner came running up apologizing but we were too busy laughing to worry about it.

I'm sorry...I love dogs...and I love rescues.....but this story is complete and utter bullshit.

yeah....the part about the dog staying asleep when being picked up and taken to the shelter and not waking up until the next morning????......what????

• 4 months later...

Don't forget about cat lovers!!! There are tons of sweet cats who need homes. My little critters are six months old and are as handsome and sweet as any kitten from a breeder.

The other thing I'd like to mention is people don't like adopting from "kill" shelters. Don't let that stop you. Every animal that is adopted is one fewer at risk of euthanasia.

As I said at the time, the shelter guy put the kittens on my lap and one curled up on my lap and the other draped himself over my shoulder and fell asleep.

Archived