Money Can Buy Happiness

LaffingBear
This topic is 2025 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://m.pnas.org/content/early/2017/07/18/1706541114.full

A recent study suggests that happiness can be derived from free time to do what you like. And you can secure that by spending money getting others to do time-consuming chores. In other words, we're more likely to derive happiness by hiring a housekeeper than buying a _____________________.

Summary:

Despite rising incomes, people around the world are feeling increasingly pressed for time, undermining well-being. We show that the time famine of modern life can be reduced by using money to buy time. Surveys of large, diverse samples from four countries reveal that spending money on time-saving services is linked to greater life satisfaction. To establish causality, we show that working adults report greater happiness after spending money on a time-saving purchase than on a material purchase. This research reveals a previously unexamined route from wealth to well-being: spending money to buy free time.

and when sex robots become available at a reasonable price? Of course, you'll write it off as your "Houseboy Housekeeper," he does windows. :oops:

http://m.pnas.org/content/early/2017/07/18/1706541114.full

A recent study suggests that happiness can be derived from free time to do what you like. And you can secure that by spending money getting others to do time-consuming chores. In other words, we're more likely to derive happiness by hiring a housekeeper than buying a _____________________.

Summary:

Despite rising incomes, people around the world are feeling increasingly pressed for time, undermining well-being. We show that the time famine of modern life can be reduced by using money to buy time. Surveys of large, diverse samples from four countries reveal that spending money on time-saving services is linked to greater life satisfaction. To establish causality, we show that working adults report greater happiness after spending money on a time-saving purchase than on a material purchase. This research reveals a previously unexamined route from wealth to well-being: spending money to buy free time.

• 1 year later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/nyregion/at-yale-class-on-happiness-draws-huge-crowd-laurie-santos.html

Yale’s Most Popular Class Ever: Happiness

merlin_132895217_ea977bc4-e7d3-42b6-909e-22776efbbdcf-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

NEW HAVEN — On Jan. 12, a few days after registration opened at Yale for Psyc 157, Psychology and the Good Life, roughly 300 people had signed up. Within three days, the figure had more than doubled. After three more days, about 1,200 students, or nearly one-fourth of Yale undergraduates, were enrolled.

The course, taught by Laurie Santos, 42, a psychology professor and the head of one of Yale’s residential colleges, tries to teach students how to lead a happier, more satisfying life in twice-weekly lectures.

“Students want to change, to be happier themselves, and to change the culture here on campus,” Dr. Santos said in an interview. “With one in four students at Yale taking it, if we see good habits, things like students showing more gratitude, procrastinating less, increasing social connections, we’re actually seeding change in the school’s culture.”

Dr. Santos speculated that Yale students are interested in the class because, in high school, they had to deprioritize their happiness to gain admission to the school, adopting harmful life habits that have led to what she called “the mental health crises we’re seeing at places like Yale.” A 2013 report by the Yale College Council found that more than half of undergraduates sought mental health care from the university during their time there.

“In reality, a lot of us are anxious, stressed, unhappy, numb,” said Alannah Maynez, 19, a freshman taking the course. “The fact that a class like this has such large interest speaks to how tired students are of numbing their emotions — both positive and negative — so they can focus on their work, the next step, the next accomplishment.”

Students have long requested that Yale offer a course on positive psychology, according to Woo-Kyoung Ahn, director of undergraduate studies in psychology, who said she was “blown away” by Dr. Santos’s proposal for the class.

Administrators like Dr. Ahn expected significant enrollment for the class, but none anticipated it to be quite so large. Psychology and the Good Life, with 1,182 undergraduates currently enrolled, stands as the most popular course in Yale’s 316-year history. The previous record-holder — Psychology and the Law — was offered in 1992 and had about 1,050 students, according to Marvin Chun, the Yale College dean. Most large lectures at Yale don’t exceed 600.

Offering such a large class has come with challenges, from assembling lecture halls to hiring the 24 teaching fellows required. Because the psychology department lacked the resources to staff it fully, the fellows had to be drawn from places like Yale’s School of Public Health and law school. And with so many undergraduates enrolled in a single lecture, Yale’s hundreds of other classes — particularly those that conflict with Dr. Santos’s — may have seen decreased enrollment.

At the start of the semester the class was divided between a live lecture in the 844-seat Battell Chapel, a historic place of worship on campus, converted to a lecture hall, and one or two smaller auditoriums where several hundred more students watched a live stream of Dr. Santos. After several weeks, the decision was made to move the lectures to Woolsey Hall, usually the site of events like symphony performances, which can accommodate the entire class.

The course focuses both on positive psychology — the characteristics that allow humans to flourish, according to Dr. Santos — and behavioral change, or how to live by those lessons in real life. Students must take quizzes, complete a midterm exam and, as their final assessment, conduct what Dr. Santos calls a “Hack Yo’Self Project,” a personal self-improvement project.

Edited by bigvalboy

• 3 months later...

I like to maximize my happiness by combining two objectives. I am usually happy on Thursdays, when we go out shopping while our housecleaner cleans the house, so I am spending money to buy both the things I want and freedom from doing something I don't enjoy. I don't like cooking and am not good at it, so I am also happy when I go to a restaurant for dinner, since I can purchase meals that I like to eat but don't want to or can't make at home.

I think "happiness" is the wrong goal. My days are filled with moments of joy and contentment and moments of deep frustration. But in general, I wouldn't describe myself as a very happy person. But I'm a very satisfied person. I have worked hard and developed my skills and my intellect. My income is in line with my professional and intellectual development. My work is very challenging. It's something that only a few people are up to doing. My personal trainer tagged me on his instagram page a few days ago and said I have a "fiery determination to be the best." I get a lot of satisfaction from "my fiery determination to be the best," but it isn't all a bed of roses.