Overused and empty words

actor61

Nothing wrong with the sentiment. It just doesn't make grammatical sense. It should be "I hope you're doing well." An email can't find anything.

Back in the dark ages, I took a secretarial course and there was a large emphasis on proper letting writing form. We were taught to almost always open a letter with "I hope this letter finds you well", and to close with "Yours very truly." I never understood if "I hope this letter finds you well" meant I hope the letter arrived unharmed or if it meant I hope you're feeling well. Similarly, how could I be yours very truly if I'd never met you?

I never understood the "yours very truly," either.

On the internet, when people type a period after each word in a sentence as if to emphasize everything.

Oh. My. God. I. sincerely. hate. that.

Hmmm. Certainly tedious if overused, and doesn't really apply to the sentence you chose, but I can't think of another way to express in writing when you are truly stunned by something. Which is the only time I would slow my speech down like that.

But the truth of the matter is...

Is there a book entitled, "Like, I mean, you know"?

These 3 terms are individually used by even the most intelligent people in virtually all walks of life. And it's everywhere. Millennials are the worst, but using "like" multiple times in a sentence is prolific. I catch myself doing it as well (and then roll my eyes).

And I'm aghast that Cable TV interviews are filled with "I mean" over and over from both the guest and host, from authors, politicians, commentators, etc. Even on Charlie Rose! Same is true for "you know". It's becoming difficult to listen to conversations these days since these 3 terms really catch my attention.

Edited by Bucky

Any of the lexicon from the reality show Drag Race.

There's truly nothing more attractive than hearing grown men speak like drag queens, loudly, in public.

Ive never seen drag race.

But I detest men who are always in an affected queen-bitch mode.

I know guys who are naturally soft-spoken. Lilting. Even sibilant. No problem, when theyre being their natural selves.

A little queeny comment at the right time and place can be fun.

But men who always adopt a fake higher pitched voice and who use female pronouns for other men, make me cringe. Ohhhhhh Heeeer! Or she said to relate a man's statements.

Thats learned and intentional behaviors. I detest it.

I know a couple, and one guy literally told the other guy to knock it off with the female pronouns for men. And called him on it every time. The behavior eventually ceased... its not natural anyway.

Edited by LaffingBear

Ive never seen drag race.

But I detest men who are always in an affected queen-bitch mode.

I know guys who are naturally soft-spoken. Lilting. Even sibilant. No problem, when theyre being their natural selves.

A little queeny comment at the right time and place can be fun.

But men who always adopt a fake higher pitched voice and who use female pronouns for other men, make me cringe. Ohhhhhh Heeeer! Or she said to relate a man's statements.

Thats learned and intentional behaviors. I detest it.

I know a couple, and one guy literally told the other guy to knock it off with the female pronouns for men. And called him on it every time. The behavior eventually ceased... its not natural anyway.

Hear! Hear! And when you add to that the attitude of the bitch that everything "she" says is right and you're stupid for not agreeing, it's doubly hard to take. I run for the door when a queen snaps fingers at me, wags the head and intones "uh-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh."