Job Interview: How much is too much truth?

purplekow
This topic is 2050 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As some of you may know, I was ill for a time a few months ago. Recently, I had two job interviews, and at both, I related to the interviewers that part of the reason I was looking for a new job was related to having had the time away from my old job caused me to realize that I did not really want to go back to that job.

I was aware that I did not need to reveal any medical issues, but my feeling was that I wanted to be as transparent about my application as possible.

Friends has suggested that I decreased my chances for that job by revealing that I had a serious illness even though that illness has essentially resolved.

Opinions. I have another interview in the near future and I am considering that my friends may be correct.

In general, any dishonesty in the job hunt process is a bad idea. It will invariably backfire.

But you can just say "resolved health issues". They're not (technically) allowed to pry any further.

I recently took some time off between jobs because I wanted to and could afford it, and list it on my resume as "Personal Sabbatical". It's easily explainable and can actually lead to a good discussion of your priorities.

And I'll agree with rwnsd. If an employer has a problem with it there will be other issues with them.

As some of you may know, I was ill for a time a few months ago. Recently, I had two job interviews, and at both, I related to the interviewers that part of the reason I was looking for a new job was related to having had the time away from my old job caused me to realize that I did not really want to go back to that job.

Before I retired, I did interview people for jobs. If you do not mention your illness at the interview, what happens if you get the job. Will you never be able to mention it even casually to a co-worker?

Being an HR Manager, and having over 20 years of hiring experience, my advice is to simply say you were absent for whatever time period as you were taking care of some personal matters that required your full attention, that those matters have now been fully resolved, and you can now devote your energies to this new opportunity that you're quite interested in. Regrettably I've worked for companies that, behind closed doors, use information about past illnesses or injuries as the reason to not hire out of fear of future absenteeism and/or fear of future health insurance premium increases. Illegal and sad, but true. I don't believe in not being truthful, but your personal health information is not your current or future employers' business. My best wishes for your next career step.

I decreased my chances for that job by revealing that I had a serious illness even though that illness has essentially resolved.

As someone who used to spend a lot of time interviewing job applicants, I think that Worthington45 gives you some excellent advice. Usually a hiring manager has several applicants to chose from. If an applicant told me that he had a "serious" illness that is "essentially" resolved (this implies that it is not resolved), I would consciously and unconsciously put that applicant at the back of the line since I might construe that the applicant is telling me to expect occasional absenteeism due to health issues. I also would not advise that you tell any coworker about your illnesses or personal information as they will inevitably spread that information to others, usually in a distorted or sensationalized form. When hiring, the most important traits I looked for were enthusiasm, intelligence, a good work ethic, a sense of humor, and ability to get along with others. Your medical history is your business, no one else. I am sure that most applicants are not hired for what they said rather than what they did not say during the interview.

If an applicant told me that he had a "serious" illness that is "essentially" resolved (this implies that it is not resolved), I would consciously and unconsciously put that applicant at the back of the line since I might construe that the applicant is telling me to expect occasional absenteeism due to health issues.

Strongly second this advice. Having hired people into a small (~15-person) business, I have done this very thing myself, on two different occasions.

Worthington's comments are spot-on. And while you're at it, delete such dates as the year of your college graduation if you think that your age will be used against you. The salient item is the degree received, not the year in which it was obtained.

PK, I do know that you have an expertise - aside from providing excellent leche, I hear you are a pretty brainy cow. So I'm of two minds:

My first opinion is that if you really need this job, you follow the common practice outlined by your friends and some of the posters here. Let the chips fall where they may, but at least you secure your chances for the job a bit more by not willingly introducing the possible derailing factor about your recovery.

My second opinion is that in an era where knowledge workers of your caliber are scarce and if you are being wooed by an employer - and you have no urgent need to secure employment, I believe you do have the luxury to be who you are and share what you are facing. You are interviewing the employer as much as they are interviewing you. It is a matching process. If you feel like it and you can afford the luxury, be upfront. There is nothing more satisfying, to me, than being hired bc of ALL of who you are and what you are facing. I have a large team and I've hired amazingly talented people in all sorts of situations - visibly pregnant, not visibly pregnant but saying so in the interview, fighting cancer, in recovery, etc. I've hired bc of their skill, talent, potential. I trust the candidate is not out to "get us" and that our company is sufficiently strong to withstand any bad eggs out there who only want to collect disability benefits and milk the system. We are in search of folks like you: experts, forthright, and willing to see themselves as more than a worker bee. Too bad I'm not in the cattle business. ;)

Good luck in your search and your decisions! -TR

I'm more on the side of keeping your past health information to yourself.....IF it is really in the past and won't become an issue when acquiring your new health insurance in some way. I'm thinking pre existing conditions revealed through medical records. If this won't be an issue, your personal health info is,, and should remain, private. Perhaps @Worthington45 can help us here.

I'm more on the side of keeping your past health information to yourself.....IF it is really in the past and won't become an issue when acquiring your new health insurance in some way. I'm thinking pre existing conditions revealed through medical records. If this won't be an issue, your personal health info is,, and should remain, private. Perhaps @Worthington45 can help us here.

With ACA there are no longer pre-existing conditions which can prevent you from obtaining health insurance. Also, prospective employers do not have access to your private health information. However, once one is applying for insurance whether it is with an employer or personal, do not lie on the application. They will find it all the time.

Funguy is completely correct. Employers are, however, privy to unnamed claims data for company-sponsored health insurance at a minimum once a year. Without exception every company I've worked for tries to guess which employee has the large claim(s). Another less-than-happy practice. Sigh. So the recommendation to not share your health concerns with coworkers is not a bad idea. In any event this thread is about getting the job in the first place, so I apologize for digressing. I also agree with leaving the dates off the education section of a resume, as well as limiting length of employment history to the past 10 years or so. Great insights from all respondents. It is one of the aspects of this forum that keeps me coming back (I'm guilty of a decade of lurking).

• 2 years later...
Job Interview: How much is too much truth?

admitting the medical info may be TMI (too much info).

If your openness causes an employer to take a pass on hiring you then that employer is probably not a good fit for you.

In general, any dishonesty in the job hunt process is a bad idea. It will invariably backfire.

your personal health information is not your current or future employers' business. My best wishes for your next career step.

I am sure that most applicants are not hired for what they said rather than what they did not say during the interview.

I believe you do have the luxury to be who you are and share what you are facing. You are interviewing the employer as much as they are interviewing you.

your personal health info is,, and should remain, private.

do not lie on the application. They will find it all the time.

DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR HEALTH ISSUES IN AN INTERVIEW!

Any least vulnerability you show will be used against you.

1668824.gif