Regional American Dialects

azdr0710
This topic is 3001 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think this has been discussed before, but not in a while, it seems.....one of my favorite topics.....I took this test and it directly ID'd the city my mother's side is from and one in which I lived as a kid for a few years (though it didn't zero in on where I've lived continuously since age 12)....very cool....be honest!....don't answer what you think is correct - just what YOU traditionally have used thru your life!!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It errored out and wants me to check back...

I took it twice, got errored out both times.

My mom was from chicago, dad was from plains montana, I grew in ABQ, went to college in PDX for 4 years,

and have been in the (SF) Bay Area since 1972.

So I'm not surprised that my use of the language sent the poor automaton into a tizzy!

I think this has been discussed before, but not in a while, it seems.....one of my favorite topics.....I took this test and it directly ID'd the city my mother's side is from and one in which I lived as a kid for a few years (though it didn't zero in on where I've lived continuously since age 12)....very cool....be honest!....don't answer what you think is correct - just what YOU traditionally have used thru your life!!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

wow it was pretty spot on. New York and Nevada totally in the orange :D

It basically nailed me on two of the cities: Newark/Paterson (a few miles from where I was born and raised) and Philadelphia (where I lived much of my adult life), but the third city indicated was Jackson, MS, which I have been to briefly only three times in my life.

I grew up in the midwest and have lived on the east coast, the west coast, and in the middle.

It placed me in Denver/Aurora? Not quite! (Although I do have relatives in the area and, mother did retire there, and my sister lives there today. Perhaps more rubbed off than I thought.)

My parents were from northwestern Pennsylvania, but I've lived almost all of my childhood and adolescence out west and it pegged that - southwestern Washington State and southern Nevada must equal southern California (where I've lived off and on for 23 years) linguistically Long Beach, Glendale and Fresno (never been there!).

Archived