Regional American Dialects

azdr0710
This topic is 3001 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn!!! It placed me exactly whre I was born and live most of the time! CT! Indeed, a while back a video was posted on this site that had me speaking. I got an email message from an acquaintance who saw it. He now lives in CA but was originally from the east coast. His first remark was that my "accent" (who woulda thunk that I had an accent!) reminded him of his former days in the northeast!!! That was the first time that I was told that my pattern of speech was distinctive of a particular region!!!! As I said who woulda thunk!

Finally a seemingly silly test that was accurate!

http://www.epicderp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/funny-guys-country-Yinz-map.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6YTV3k9LQW8/UrdYnLG29dI/AAAAAAAAJBM/upl_vEAbdng/s1600/Accents+of+America.JPG

Valley accent example?

Canadian/Minnesotan/Idahoan accent?

That's not a valley accent I've heard anywhere in this Continent.

It errored out and wants me to check back...

Unsurprisingly, it couldn't work me out either!

I took it twice, got errored out both times.

My mom was from chicago, dad was from plains montana, I grew in ABQ, went to college in PDX for 4 years,

and have been in the (SF) Bay Area since 1972.

So I'm not surprised that my use of the language sent the poor automaton into a tizzy!

I grew up in the midwest and have lived on the east coast, the west coast, and in the middle.

It placed me in Denver/Aurora? Not quite! (Although I do have relatives in the area and, mother did retire there, and my sister lives there today. Perhaps more rubbed off than I thought.)

Mine was 400 miles off.....I do not live at Ft Benning....

It put me in Tempe, Mesa, or Glendale, AZ.

I was born in WV, lived in MI before starting school, lived 30 years in IN and the last 16 in OH.

Well I was going to suggest that y'all should try taking the original Harvard Test to see if it pegged y'all better. But I don't think it's online anymore.

Bert Vaux the head of the project (he's a Texan:rolleyes:) has moved to Cambridge (England not Massachusetts). I haven't taken this yet. But I think this new survey is for worldwide English Dialects. You might try it.

http://www.tekstlab.uio.no/cambridge_survey/

As for my three results on the NYT mini version

Two of the cities listed, Ft. Worth and Arlington, are respectively 42 and 29 miles from Dallas where I was born-basically all in the same metro region.

The third city listed was Lubbock where I spent the years from 6 to 23. So I'd say it was pretty durn accurate for me.

Gman

The quiz pegged me right from my hometown of Tacoma, Wa. Eak! :eek: I guess you can take the boy outta the trashy blue collar shit hole but you cant take the trashy blue collar shit hole outta the boy :oops: Imma need to try a lil bit harder :D

Hugs,

Greg

Hey, be careful now!!!Thats where I live (near UPS). And I'm only semi-blue collar and not a poo hole in sight in my neighborhood!!

Gman

The quiz pegged me right from my hometown of Tacoma, Wa. Eak! :eek: I guess you can take the boy outta the trashy blue collar shit hole but you cant take the trashy blue collar shit hole outta the boy :oops: Imma need to try a lil bit harder :D

Hugs,

Greg

Hey, be careful now!!!Thats where I live (near UPS). And I'm only semi-blue collar and not a poo hole in sight in my neighborhood!!

Gman

Lived in that area. Wait till you are there for about 25 years.

Hugs,

Greg

Now, now between Stadium Drive and N. Proctor where I live is quite nice.

Gman

I guess you can take the boy outta the trashy blue collar shit hole but you cant take the trashy blue collar shit hole outta the boy :oops: Imma need to try a lil bit harder :D

Hugs,

Greg

Nothing better than a trashy boy so don't go taking that out of you. Blue collar, white collar, no collar - who cares? - unless you are talking about a trashy boy who is COLLARED.

I fooled it completely. My results were Salt Lake City, Rochester NY and Washington DC. I was born and raised in Minnesota and spent the last 40 years in San Francisco. I've never been to Salt Lake City or Rochester NY. I've visited Washington DC only twice for a few days each time.

Archived