Museum musings

• 2 weeks later...

Edvard Munch wrote hidden ‘madman’ message on ‘The Scream’

This finding will make art lovers scream all over again.

Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” — an 1893 expressionist painting so famous it has its own emoji — contains a disturbing hidden message that art historians have now determined was written by the artist himself.

The pencil inscription reads: “Can only have been painted by a madman,” infrared scans have shown.

And though historians have long known about the phrase, small and hidden among the distorted brushstrokes that make up the howling figure, there’s been some speculation that it was graffitied by an observer, not the Norwegian artist.

But that mystery can now be put to bed, said Mai Britt Guleng, curator of old masters and modern paintings at Norway’s National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design, which owns the painting.

Guleng and her staff made the breakthrough discovery after comparing the handwriting in the inscription to the Norwegian artist’s diaries and letters.

“The writing is without a doubt Munch’s own,” she told the BBC. “The handwriting itself, as well as events that happened in 1895, when Munch showed the painting in Norway for the first time, all point in the same direction.”

The mysterious origins of the phrase help complete a sad picture: Munch created the painting, which has now become a universal symbol for mortal anxiety, just after his sister Laura was committed to an asylum with bipolar disorder.

Though the screaming figure doesn’t look like him, it’s believed to be influenced by his own experience of observing a blood red sky after being abandoned by two companions, seen in the background. In that moment, he was hit by a “gust of melancholy,” according to his diary.

After Munch unveiled the painting, reactions centered on his own mental health, rather than the painting itself.

The experts said it stands to reason that Munch wrote the “madman” inscription after struggling with the many critical reviews at the time. In 1908, he suffered a mental breakdown.

“It’s a combination of being ironic, but also showing his vulnerability,” Guleng told the Guardian. “He is actually taking this very seriously and he is hurt because there is a history of illness in his family, and he was very anxious, but he showed himself be marked by it.”

UN tapestry of Picasso's painting "Guernica" has been reclaimed by owner Rockefeller......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/iconic-tapestry-picasso-s-guernica-gone-u-n-n1258934

I would think another tapestry could be commissioned. Perhaps a fee paid to the Spanish government who owns the picture (they might wave any copyright royalties). With today’s technology, a computer weaving is fairly simple.

UN tapestry of Picasso's painting "Guernica" has been reclaimed by owner Rockefeller......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/iconic-tapestry-picasso-s-guernica-gone-u-n-n1258934

That is one of my favorite 20th century paintings. I never knew that a tapestry had been woven mimicking the painting. I am surprised that the Rockefeller heir grabbed the tapestry back as it was placed in one of the most prominent places.

That is one of my favorite 20th century paintings. I never knew that a tapestry had been woven mimicking the painting. I am surprised that the Rockefeller heir grabbed the tapestry back as it was placed in one of the most prominent places.

Yes, why would the person want it? Better to donate it, get the tax deduction, and get a reproduction. Or sell it. I've never understood the interest in owning originals. Reproductions essentially look the same. I wouldn't get greater pleasure just knowing I owned the original. Plus if you own the original, you have to worry about it getting stolen.

Yes, why would the person want it? Better to donate it, get the tax deduction, and get a reproduction. Or sell it. I've never understood the interest in owning originals. Reproductions essentially look the same. I wouldn't get greater pleasure just knowing I owned the original. Plus if you own the original, you have to worry about it getting stolen.

As you say (except for the tax deduction - although something tells me a Rockefeller probably has enough of those already) the tapestry was already a reproduction of an original. As bigjoey noted, you could get a very straight forward computer weaving if you wanted a tapestry. Oh well, I suppose the family already gave the land so they thought they wanted to get the tapestry because they had also loaned that and deserved it whenever they wanted it. The U.N. could get another original antiwar work of art to place in the space where the tapestry hung. Games of the wealthy. :)

"Le Penseur by Auguste Rodin"

Thank you for using the proper French title....

It's soooo much sexier than the clunky English translation.

AUGUSTE NEYT was a 22-year-old Belgian soldier when he first posed for Auguste Rodin in 1875. At that time, Rodin had been an anonymous apprentice for more than 20 years, and was looking for an opportunity to establish himself. He worked on his life-size standing figure for 18 months, first exhibiting it in Brussels in January 1877.

One of my favorite museums is the Rodin Museum in Paris which contains some of the namesake's greatest works, including The Thinker

The Rodin Museum in Philadelphia is closer and many of his most famous works are there

My favs are as follows

* The Frick Collection NYC

*The Guggenheim. NYC

* Rodin. Paris

2067479.gif

I wish it had been there when I lived in New York, because I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I was a student at the University of Vienna many years ago.

My offer still stands.....

The Neue Galerie - God love Mr. Lauder for bringing a small piece of Vienna to NYC.

I will meet anyone, any time, in the Cafè Sabarsky for lunch.

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, jcmiami1 said:

My favorite museum in NYC - Frick Museum. Love the place and it’s art - I swear I could live there.

If you love the Frick collection, you must get to the Breuer building on Madison Ave. (formerly known as the Whitney and the Met Breuer) in NYC this summer.

A large part of the Frick collection cannot be loaned out as stipulated in old man Frick’s will. As such, the paintings are never seen outside of the Frick mansion. Granted it’s an amazing collection in a beautiful building, but seeing the same El Greco, over the same fireplace, for decades, gets a little old.

As luck would have it, the Frick is under construction and they have moved much of the collection’s icons into the brutalist Breuer building around the corner. I’m normally not a huge fan of the Breuer but getting to see these magnificent pieces in new modern setting is spectacular.

I found new favorites as well as new appreciation for some old loves. That doesn’t happen everyday. Enjoy!

5 hours ago, nycman said:

If you love the Frick collection, you must get to the Breuer building on Madison Ave. (formerly known as the Whitney and the Met Breuer) in NYC this summer.

A large part of the Frick collection cannot be loaned out as stipulated in old man Frick’s will. As such, the paintings are never seen outside of the Frick mansion. Granted it’s an amazing collection in a beautiful building, but seeing the same El Greco, over the same fireplace, for decades, gets a little old.

As luck would have it, the Frick is under construction and they have moved much of the collection’s icons into the brutalist Breuer building around the corner. I’m normally not a huge fan of the Breuer but getting to see these magnificent pieces in new modern setting is spectacular.

I found new favorites as well as new appreciation for some old loves. That doesn’t happen everyday. Enjoy!

You’re lucky you had the opportunity to see the collection in its new temporary setting. Not everything but the best representative pieces of the Frick collection, a lot of which was acquired from J. P. Morgan’s estate.

I have been watching Cocktails with a Curator on Friday’s at 5 all this last year, which gives highlights of the collection, focussing on one piece in each episode. They have three curators who split the shows, two guys and a lady. Very entertaining and informative. About 20 to 25 minutes.

The younger of the men is very cute and sexy and has a great accent and can pronounce all the names of the European artists correctly. The older of the two, named Solomon, is very erudite and knows his stuff.

Edited by Luv2play

On 2/26/2021 at 3:12 PM, Unicorn said:

A businessman in the suburbs of Philadelphia owned paintings by Matisse, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Gsugain, Picasso, Renoir and Goya.

It would be a bit laughable if someone suggested he sell them for a deduction and get reproductions instead

1 minute ago, WilliamM said:

A businessman in the suburbs of Philadelphia owned paintings by Matisse, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Gsugain, Picasso, Renoir and Goya.

It would be a bit laughable if someone suggested he sell them for a deduction and get reproductions instead

One of the few times the Barnes collection from Philadelphia was loaned out was to the Art Gallery of Toronto back in the 1990s. The show was a huge hit. I went to see it as it was more accessible than the collection had been at its home. The museum there had very restrictive policies regarding public viewing.

I understand the collection has been moved or that the museum is now more accessible in any case.

Just now, Luv2play said:

One of the few times the Barnes collection from Philadelphia was loaned out was to the Art Gallery of Toronto back in the 1990s. The show was a huge hit. I went to see it as it was more accessible than the collection had been at its home. The museum there had very restrictive policies regarding public viewing.

I understand the collection has been moved or that the museum is now more accessible in any case.

Yes, much more accessible. The lighting is incredible now. The museum is located in Center City Philadelphia. Most weekdays, reservation are not necessarily required. And there are special exhibits (right now de Kooning is one of artists on display).

26 minutes ago, mike carey said:

Probably worth my while taking a trip to Brisbane, an exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art (featuring quite a bit of art that isn't modern) of pieces from the Met.

https://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/whats-on/exhibitions/european-masterpieces?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvo7hkoyR8QIVT38rCh0saAQPEAAYASAAEgLYzvD_BwE

I hope you've gotten the shot. Australia still seems to be set on the "isolate instead of vaccinate" strategy. It seems to be doing among the worst of the world's better-off countries...

June-10-Vaccinations

5 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I hope you've gotten the shot. Australia still seems to be set on the "isolate instead of vaccinate" strategy. It seems to be doing among the worst of the world's better-off countries...

June-10-Vaccinations

Yes, we are way behind 'comparable' countries, but there is no strategy of avoiding vaccination so we can continue to isolate. The reason is far simpler, federal government incompetence, even though it has (belatedly) entered contracts for vaccine delivery. The states and territories are stepping in to accelerate jabs in arms. The national discourse is noting how far we are behind other countries, and asking WTF? In the last couple of days, a travel bubble with Singapore was discussed, but we're told we need far more people vaccinated before Singapore will consider it.

9 hours ago, nycman said:

It's serendipitous that you posted this.  I just went through today. 

It was fantastic.  The Breuer was beautiful.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

While the Frick is undergoing its renovation for the next couple of years seeing the collection at the Breuer gives a whole new perspective to the art. A few years ago as a member I got to see the second floor of the Frick mansion. It was fun to see what were the living quarters turned into office space which will now be exhibition space. Going up the staircase I got a better look at the pipe organ which sadly is no longer used. 
There was a time if you were rich enough you had two things in your mansion. A pipe organ and a bowling alley in the basement. The Frick has a bowling alley and the staff is allowed to use it. 
The new Halls of Gems and Minerals is now open at the American Museum of Natural History and it’s spectacular. 

1 hour ago, foxy said:

While the Frick is undergoing its renovation for the next couple of years seeing the collection at the Breuer gives a whole new perspective to the art. A few years ago as a member I got to see the second floor of the Frick mansion. It was fun to see what were the living quarters turned into office space which will now be exhibition space. Going up the staircase I got a better look at the pipe organ which sadly is no longer used. 
There was a time if you were rich enough you had two things in your mansion. A pipe organ and a bowling alley in the basement. The Frick has a bowling alley and the staff is allowed to use it. 
The new Halls of Gems and Minerals is now open at the American Museum of Natural History and it’s spectacular. 

Why didn't they have the bowling alley converted into gallery space? Instead they wanted to build on the garden at one point.

8 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Why didn't they have the bowling alley converted into gallery space? Instead they wanted to build on the garden at one point.

That’s a good point. I’m sorry I didn’t think to ask that. The bowling alley isn’t open to the public so I have no idea what it looks like. Happily the garden was saved.