Museum musings

I am not a particularly good judge of the St. Petersburg museums. I have visited most of the city museums and palaces as well as many of the near and somewhat distant suburban places; I enjoyed them. The problem with the Hermitage is simply its size -- it is immense, and the crowds are daunting.

I am a city boy through and through. I love wondering city streets window shopping and stopping along the way at interesting little shops, cafes, and coffee shops. That just is not possible in St. Petersburg as most of the streets are bare and interesting little shops, cafes, and coffee shops do not exist. As far as cities go, I find St. Petersburg dull, Dull, DULL. I need to make one more trip to the St. Petersburg as there are several more distant palaces and gardens that I would like to visit. I far prefer visiting St. Petersburg on a cruise ship and hiring a local guide and driver to get me around. I would NEVER ever consider staying at a hotel in the city.

I am not a particularly good judge of the St. Petersburg museums. I have visited most of the city museums and palaces as well as many of the near and somewhat distant suburban places; I enjoyed them. The problem with the Hermitage is simply its size -- it is immense, and the crowds are daunting.

I am a city boy through and through. I love wondering city streets window shopping and stopping along the way at interesting little shops, cafes, and coffee shops. That just is not possible in St. Petersburg as most of the streets are bare and interesting little shops, cafes, and coffee shops do not exist. As far as cities go, I find St. Petersburg dull, Dull, DULL. I need to make one more trip to the St. Petersburg as there are several more distant palaces and gardens that I would like to visit. I far prefer visiting St. Petersburg on a cruise ship and hiring a local guide and driver to get me around. I would NEVER ever consider staying at a hotel in the city.

The best hotel I stayed at anywhere in Russia was the Pribaltiskaya, but that was when St. Petersburg was still Leningrad, so I don't know if that is even the hotel name now.

The private tour of the Hermitage I took allowed us unfettered access before it opened to the public. Was quite a treat. If you went on a cruise, how would you invite those cute SPB guys onboard? lol. For me, I'd love to visit it again and explore a bit more :) Though I'd probably need to learn some Russian first.

The best hotel I stayed at anywhere in Russia was the Pribaltiskaya, but that was when St. Petersburg was still Leningrad, so I don't know if that is even the hotel name now.

I would have enjoyed visiting it then and perhaps become the target of some kompromat involving some sexy russian military officer. Would love a honeypot trap...lol.

I stayed in a St. Petersburg hotel almost next door to the Russian Museum and within walking distance to the Hermitage and the Opera House. And I was in St. Petersburg during the "white nights." I disagree with you about staying on a ship, especially during the "white nights".

If you stayed in a hotel near the Hermitage you could have been there when the museum opens when it is not so crowded.

When I was in St Petersburg, a year or so ago, I hired a guide and driver for two days to take me around to an itinerary I had planned. The guide arranged entrance into the Hermitage an hour prior to opening. However, an hour prior to opening hardly allows enough time to make even a minor dent in seeing the place’s collections.

For me, frankly, the architecture of St. Petersburg and that of the surrounding palaces and gardens is a far bigger draw than the art. I had heard much about the great collection of Impressionist painting housed in the new location across from the Hermitage. I was disappointed. I personally feel the collection in the D’Orsay in Paris is far superior.

Love it. I’m connected with a small museum and I thought we were small. Hah.

Looking at the dimensions, I can visualize it, as my library at home is almost the exact same size as the room measures 13.5 x 10 feet. My room feels like a museum too, filled with art and treasures of a lifetime of accumulations. They all have a story to tell. Which they remind me of every time I look at something.

WilliamM for me the museum with that has more than its fair share of junk hanging on its walls is the Louvre. One must look carefully for the great pieces there. Personally, I’ll take the D’Orsay any day over the Louvre.

Again, strictly personal taste my favorite art museum is the Uffizi. The fact that I am particularly fond of Italian Renaissances painting makes that an easy choice.

In my opinion both the Uffizi in Florence and the Prado in Madrid have done an outstanding job culling their collections. There are a few trite piece in both of those museums but they are few and far between.

Not as familiar with the Uffizi, but I love El Prado. When I visited in 2013, I forced myself to simply wander through the galleries without a guidebook. It was a great decision. Also love the Vatican Museum. What a vast and deliciously jumbled collection!

Not as familiar with the Uffizi, but I love El Prado. When I visited in 2013, I forced myself to simply wander through the galleries without a guidebook. It was a great decision. Also love the Vatican Museum. What a vast and deliciously jumbled collection!

I'm not big on museums. When I want to look at OLD stuff, I stand in front of a mirror

When I was in St Petersburg, a year or so ago, I hired a guide and driver for two days to take me around to an itinerary I had planned. The guide arranged entrance into the Hermitage an hour prior to opening. However, an hour prior to opening hardly allows enough time to make even a minor dent in seeing the place’s collections.

For me, frankly, the architecture of St. Petersburg and that of the surrounding palaces and gardens is a far bigger draw than the art. I had heard much about the great collection of Impressionist painting housed in the new location across from the Hermitage. I was disappointed. I personally feel the collection in the D’Orsay in Paris is far superior.

What about the glorious 20th century art in Vienna? And opera and classical music in that city?

I think it is well known that during WWII before the Nazis occupied Paris the Louvre was closed for three days for "repair work" and much of the great art housed there was placed in wooden cases. It was then removed for safe storage to various French provinces. However, the gentleman (Jacques Jaujard) who organized the packing of the art and where various pieces were to go so that they were not found and taken by the Germans had coordinated just such an equally massive undertaking a short time before during the Spanish Civil War. At that time the League of Nations recommended that the contents of the Prado be carefully packed up and moved to various Spanish cities and eventually to Switzerland so as to elude being taken by any one side. Jaujard, along with delegations from other European and American museums, organized the evacuation.

https://www.thecollector.com/jacques-jaujard-louvre-museum/

Jacques_Jaujard.jpg

de90e108907b0aca7f70c4e9d7d234a8--prado-valencia.jpg

museum-museo-del-prado-evacuation-jacques-jaujard.jpg

I taught Advanced Placement Art History yet I have very mixed feeling about various art museums.

1. Louvre – I absolutely HATE this museum. I hate the constant crowds besides 75% of the contents is pure shit. The other 25% is quite wonderful if you can get close enough to enjoy it.

2. D’Orsay - I absolutely LOVE this museum. Although I’m not a great fan of Impressionism the lay out and setting are great.

3. Uffizi – Probably my favorite art museum. 90% of its contents are wonderful. Crowds can be daunting but if one goes early or late it’s fine.

P.S. I have always wanted to visit the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia and the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and they are both on my bucket list.

I can see the Barnes Foundation from my kitchen window. Come on down, @Epigonos

I went back to the Hermitage three or four times in the week day mornings in a June visit several years ago. Thrilled to be able now to obtain a visa from Russia and a plane ticket. And a hotel reservation

I expected the Hermitage to crowded. So what?

I really like Viennese late 19th, early 20th Century art. I like that its style touched art, architecture, furniture, and every day elements. Also, if you want to get fat, its desserts can't be beat.

hoffmannglass.jpg

42806539334_5a83df3850.jpg

The-Kiss-1.jpg

21638172_master.jpg?disable=upscale&auto=webp&quality=60&width=960

If you like Viennese art and food, the Neue Museum in NYC is for you:

https://www.neuegalerie.org/

The food in the cafe is superb. In the Winter, I like to get a pastry and hot chocolate in the cafe.

The food in the cafe is superb. In the Winter, I like to get a pastry and hot chocolate in the cafe.

Agree. The desserts are amazing and if you can get a seat by the window even better. The same chef also runs Wallse, a charming Viennese restaurant in the west village. Had New Years dinner there last year.

I wish it had been there when I lived in New York, because I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I was a student at the University of Vienna many years ago.

• 1 month later...

So much disdain for LA museums here. Some of them are outstanding.

The Broad - One of the best post-Warhol collections of contemporary art in the world. The best examples from all the top artists, beginning more or less with Warhol. This is a collection meant to appeal to art audiences more than art historians. It is pure spectacle.

2057661.gif