Thoughts on this watch?

citylaw1
This topic is 2911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its boring, typical run of the mill fare, regardless of its high price. Being costly doesnt make something stylish or fashionable. But it does make it timeless and wearable with anything. I am not about wearing one thing with Everything. !

Because I'm just enough of an outdoorsman and will likely scratch what I'm wearing, I have always worn cheaper watches; my current wristwatch is a Citizen. I just looked at the face of it and while the crystal is undamaged, the stainless has dings on it, hence the reason I go cheaper.

I will admit it; I have a watch addiction. Because I like to rotate my watches, I tend to stick those that are in the $100 range. Two brands I have enjoyed are Skagen (typically lighter weight, good for someone who doesn't wear a watch often) and Kenneth Cole.

Agreed, Kenneth cole has Very fashionable watches that are affordably priced. I have several...

I am addicted to the LOW end ROlexes. interesting color dials, no gold. THey almost don't look like a rolex:

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=260849&stc=1&d=1330743197http://www.rolexforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=260849&stc=1&d=1330743197

I love "Fauxlex" I get them down on Mott St in chinatown, NYC... :o

Everyone gets to do with their money what they choose to do. But, since you are already not in the habit of wearing a watch, why not give the $2000 to charity and make a difference?

http://www.officialpgi.org/Images/HungryChild33.gif

Joseph's post reminded me of my favorite watch which I almost never wear. It's a mechanical Swiss watch, given to me by a friend many years ago. The face is very simple, no numbers; it's the underside that's fascinating. Rather than a stainless cover on the back, it's clear glass, and I can see all the cogs and wheels at work. It's such a neat watch, that I've never wanted it damaged, which is why I rarely wear it.

I have relied on Seiko for many years. I have a beautiful "dress watch" made by Seiko commorating the 100th Anniversary of my Alma Mater. It keeps absolutely perfect time, perhaps off a second or two a year. I have another Seiko watch which I wear when scuba diving or at the beach or pool as it is safe to 600 feet of depth, although I would be dead if I went down that far. It is stainless steel and is basically indestructable. I got my current one in Singapore for a price so cheap in US dollars, I felt guilty !! I would love to have a Submariner Rolex, but ended up buying a beautifule man's diamond ring instead. I have purchased Seiko watches as gifts as graduationg presents for relatives, and they absolutely love them. They have a wide range of prices, and metals, but you can't go wrong with a Seiko, IMHO.

Get a cheap Timex or look at your cell phone.

I actually still find a watch more convenient than a cell phone for telling time, BUT if I pay more than 50.00 for a watch, I feel like I overspent for the purpose (not into jewelry at all).

I will admit it; I have a watch addiction. Because I like to rotate my watches, I tend to stick those that are in the $100 range. Two brands I have enjoyed are Skagen (typically lighter weight, good for someone who doesn't wear a watch often) and Kenneth Cole.

I have four Skagens and counting. I tend to bang up watches, hence I stick to the lower-priced brands. So far, every Skagen has held up very well including one I bought in 1996.

Everyone gets to do with their money what they choose to do. But, since you are already not in the habit of wearing a watch, why not give the $2000 to charity and make a difference?

http://www.officialpgi.org/Images/HungryChild33.gif

http://www.madtomatoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

Well, it looks like I've been outvoted!

I actually still find a watch more convenient than a cell phone for telling time, BUT if I pay more than 50.00 for a watch, I feel like I overspent for the purpose (not into jewelry at all).

I use my cell instead of a watch myself. But in certain business environments, a watch, preferably similar to what the big boss wears, is de rigueur. According to a friend, everyone who was anyone at Goldman Sachs circa 1998 wore a cheap plastic watch--because that's what Corzine wore.

every few years, I buy a $20 Casio at Target....they never need resetting or what have you and can withstand banging against rocks while I'm out hiking.....anybody who spends $2000 on a watch has some serious insecurity issues, in my opinion, just like the dudes who need to drive an Escalade to validate themselves in some way....sorry if that bothers anybody (well, not really).....

Poisoned by envy

In my experience, almost everyone who advocates foregoing a fancy purchase and giving the money to charity instead has one, if not several, if not quite a few, indulgent expenditures of their own. The indulgence might be travel or something more "noble" than a trinket, but it's still an expensive indulgence. I'll bet my bottom dollar that Lucky and Rick Munroe have made plenty of indulgent expenditures in their lives. After all, if you can't enjoy your money, in whatever way you choose, why bother working? That's not selfishness; it's human nature.

A stainless steel Rolex Submariner retails for more like $8500, hardly in the same league as the Tag. Frankly, I find Submariners, like most Rolexes, ugly as ****, but that's just my opinion. That said, my mother's 35-year-old gold Rolex looks brand new after she got it cleaned. Whatever gold alloy Rolex used to make the watch is simply exquisite. I don't care for the styling, but the quality of the watch is undeniable.

I have a Tag that's almost 20 years old. Unlike my parents with their expensive purchases, I treat my pricey stuff like sh*t. My mom treats her Louis Vuitton bags like museum pieces. They're all in such perfect condition one expects to see them surrounded by velvet ropes. My Louis Vuitton bags? I start out being super-duper careful with them, then after a while just beat on them and throw them around like they were plastic supermarket bags. I've treated my Tag the same way. When I lived in Boston, I can't even begin to count how many times I scraped it against a brick wall. I played tennis with it on (I never take it off except to clean it) and used to bang it against the steel net posts all the time. Sure, there are a few nicks on it, but the crystal still looks brand new, and the watch keeps perfect time.

citylaw1, I rather like the style of the Tag Aquaracer you've picked out. So smart, as the Brits say. If you like it and have the two grand, then go ahead and enjoy your hard-earned money! As for the self-appointed Mother Theresa's, let them sneer all they want. It makes them so happy.

Hey snotty, I prefaced my remark by saying that it is the right of the individual to spend his money as he sees fit. But he doesn't come across as much of a watch wearer, so I exercised my right to speak up and offer him an alternative way to spend the money. It's as simple as that.

You have no idea what charitable contributions I make, nor of the good deeds I do in my life. To suggest or hint otherwise just makes you look like a nincompoop.

Archived