Thoughts on this watch?

citylaw1
This topic is 2911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Lucky and Rick Munroe have made plenty of indulgent expenditures in their lives. .... As for the self-appointed Mother Theresa's, let them sneer all they want. It makes them so happy.

Well, thank you for putting words in our mouths and then twisting them for good measure. If anyone's sneering, it's not Lucky and me. For the record, citylaw1 said:

Thoughts on TAG or other watches is appreciated:

So, I replied about "other watches" in response to his request:

Get a cheap Timex or look at your cell phone.

You may not approve of the watch(es) I suggested, but I can't do anything about that.

As for Lucky and the post I "liked," he specifically said:

Everyone gets to do with their money what they choose to do. But, since you are already not in the habit of wearing a watch, why not give the $2000 to charity and make a difference?

I don't see where Lucky is disparaging "indulgent expenditures" or claiming he's never made any himself. Again, he's responding to the OP, in which citylaw1 stated he hasn't worn a watch in years.

In conclusion, both Lucky and I stuck to the topic and offered our points of view. You, on the other hand, veered off topic to discuss the different ways in which you and your mother treat your Louis Vuitton bags, and to attack the two of us for not being sufficiently giddy at the thought of an expensive watch.

Good day, Sir. I said Good day. (I can never resist a good Tootsie quote). :p

http://timeentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tootsie.jpg?w=576

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite fashionable, and you'll always know when your hour's up, even a thousand feet underwater.

Just be sure and watch out for the bends. http://www.tutorialsscripts.com/free-icons/skype/emoticons/emot-icon/emoticon-mooning-32px-image-picture.gif

Here is my opinion, first let me say I have and I wear a Tag. It looks as good as the day I bought it about 20 years ago. It is expensive to have the battery change. But, I enjoy my fashion watches more than my Tag. I have about 15 fashion watches Skagen, Kenneth Cole, fossil, Micheal Kors and swatch watches. My feeling is a watch is more about fashion and you change what style you wear according to mood and what your wear that day. I have fun watches to business dress watches; some have cost me $80, $150 up to $3000. I have to admit that I will not spend $3000 on a watch ever again. I like my fashion watches too much!

Here is my opinion, first let me say I have and I wear a Tag. It looks as good as the day I bought it about 20 years ago. It is expensive to have the battery change. But, I enjoy my fashion watches more than my Tag. I have about 15 fashion watches Skagen, Kenneth Cole, fossil, Micheal Kors and swatch watches. My feeling is a watch is more about fashion and you change what style you wear according to mood and what your wear that day. I have fun watches to business dress watches; some have cost me $80, $150 up to $3000. I have to admit that I will not spend $3000 on a watch ever again. I like my fashion watches too much!

Exactamente AC---- whats funny in this thread is that even a discussion about "watches" erupts into an "ARGUMENT" and finger pointing.... A friggin WATCH ! :confused:

My Advice: Calm Down A Little

In my experience, almost everyone who advocates foregoing a fancy purchase and giving the money to charity instead has one, if not several, if not quite a few, indulgent expenditures of their own. The indulgence might be travel or something more "noble" than a trinket, but it's still an expensive indulgence. I'll bet my bottom dollar that Lucky and Rick Munroe have made plenty of indulgent expenditures in their lives. After all, if you can't enjoy your money, in whatever way you choose, why bother working? That's not selfishness; it's human nature.

No matter how much I enjoyed my various jobs, I never had the choice to say "why bother working?"

I agree with Lucky and Rick and others who have questioned spending large amounts of money for watches. But, it's your money. I do object to the title of your post, which is "Poisoned by Envy." I have read every post in this thread carefully; it would be interesting to learn whose comments are poisoned by envy.

Hope y'all don't mind if I talk about watches again. Personally, I have no need for the incredible functionality of most watches these days. I rarely need to know the time in Moscow, for example, and I don't dive or race. All I need is a timepiece that looks gooooood. Besides, on my small wrist, most watches are way too big in all dimensions. I finally found a Movado ESQ that suits me just fine. Relatively flat, rectangular face, no numbers, black face, nothing on the face except four very small diamonds at the quarter hour marks.

Well, I like it, so there.

Hope y'all don't mind if I talk about watches again. Personally, I have no need for the incredible functionality of most watches these days. I rarely need to know the time in Moscow, for example, and I don't dive or race. All I need is a timepiece that looks gooooood. Besides, on my small wrist, most watches are way too big in all dimensions. I finally found a Movado ESQ that suits me just fine. Relatively flat, rectangular face, no numbers, black face, nothing on the face except four very small diamonds at the quarter hour marks.

Well, I like it, so there.

Here's a suggestion: get a tattoo of a watch set to one particular time so you can always look at that watch and think "good times."

And there should be a mysterious hand that's winding the watch, and when people look at your cool tattoo they'll be all like: "Whoa, dude—that's a deep statement about humanity and selflessness that someone would take their time to perpetually make sure you're on time. Whose hand is it, anyway?"

And you can look with a secret wry smile and just answer with a "oh, just someone special I once knew," and go about your day—but only you will know whether that hand actually belongs to Sean Caden or not.

Yeah, that's what I would do.

Its boring, typical run of the mill fare, regardless of its high price. Being costly doesnt make something stylish or fashionable. But it does make it timeless and wearable with anything. I am not about wearing one thing with Everything. !

This TAG is in the middle of their price range. What makes you think that I will forever wear this watch with EVERYTHING? Where did I say that cost = style or fashion? Jesus, you have ill informed opinions on everything!

I like it. It's very sleek, masculine, and tech-y looking. Isn't the stainless steel Rolex Submariner around $3000? That might be worth checking out too if you're willing to go up that high.

Anything over 2k is out of the question for me. I like the look of this watch, however, I (unlike JJ who knows everything) know little to nothing about jewelry.

Are you a diver? If not, what is the particular attraction of this one? It seems to me you could find one with equal aesthetic appeal for less money.

That's why I posted here for recommendations. I purchased a TAG about 3 years ago for an ex that liked them. I recall spending around $1500 at Bloomingdales, but the lowest I see now is around $1700. And no, I don't dive, and I still use a Blackberry.

I was actually going to post the exact same thing. Most guys I know wear a watch as a fashion accessory—for two grand I'd buy a nice suit or some high-end shoes/belts/ties, etc.

I have all the high end suits, etc. I have never owned a high end watch and wanted to try it out. I have never worn jewelry.

Everyone gets to do with their money what they choose to do. But, since you are already not in the habit of wearing a watch, why not give the $2000 to charity and make a difference?

http://www.officialpgi.org/Images/HungryChild33.gif

Why didn't you skip your trips to Thailand and donate the same figure to a charity of your choice? I donate 10 percent of my gross income yearly to charity. I would, however, like to purchase a watch.

Because I'm just enough of an outdoorsman and will likely scratch what I'm wearing, I have always worn cheaper watches; my current wristwatch is a Citizen. I just looked at the face of it and while the crystal is undamaged, the stainless has dings on it, hence the reason I go cheaper.

Bedposts are tough on watches.

Boston Bill

every few years, I buy a $20 Casio at Target....they never need resetting or what have you and can withstand banging against rocks while I'm out hiking.....anybody who spends $2000 on a watch has some serious insecurity issues, in my opinion, just like the dudes who need to drive an Escalade to validate themselves in some way....sorry if that bothers anybody (well, not really).....

Your logic fails me:

1. I chose a middle range Tag, rather than their high end 4k watches.

2. I chose a Tag rather than a Rolex.

3. I have been in a high level job for nearly 20 years and have never owned a watch worth noting.

4. I drive a 300 series BMW.

5. I don't drive an Escalade because I am not a car service or a black rapper.

According to your logic I must face situations of insecurity at every moment of my life.

In my experience, almost everyone who advocates foregoing a fancy purchase and giving the money to charity instead has one, if not several, if not quite a few, indulgent expenditures of their own. The indulgence might be travel or something more "noble" than a trinket, but it's still an expensive indulgence. I'll bet my bottom dollar that Lucky and Rick Munroe have made plenty of indulgent expenditures in their lives. After all, if you can't enjoy your money, in whatever way you choose, why bother working? That's not selfishness; it's human nature.

A stainless steel Rolex Submariner retails for more like $8500, hardly in the same league as the Tag. Frankly, I find Submariners, like most Rolexes, ugly as ****, but that's just my opinion. That said, my mother's 35-year-old gold Rolex looks brand new after she got it cleaned. Whatever gold alloy Rolex used to make the watch is simply exquisite. I don't care for the styling, but the quality of the watch is undeniable.

I have a Tag that's almost 20 years old. Unlike my parents with their expensive purchases, I treat my pricey stuff like sh*t. My mom treats her Louis Vuitton bags like museum pieces. They're all in such perfect condition one expects to see them surrounded by velvet ropes. My Louis Vuitton bags? I start out being super-duper careful with them, then after a while just beat on them and throw them around like they were plastic supermarket bags. I've treated my Tag the same way. When I lived in Boston, I can't even begin to count how many times I scraped it against a brick wall. I played tennis with it on (I never take it off except to clean it) and used to bang it against the steel net posts all the time. Sure, there are a few nicks on it, but the crystal still looks brand new, and the watch keeps perfect time.

citylaw1, I rather like the style of the Tag Aquaracer you've picked out. So smart, as the Brits say. If you like it and have the two grand, then go ahead and enjoy your hard-earned money! As for the self-appointed Mother Theresa's, let them sneer all they want. It makes them so happy.

Very well said on every point.

Hey snotty, I prefaced my remark by saying that it is the right of the individual to spend his money as he sees fit. But he doesn't come across as much of a watch wearer, so I exercised my right to speak up and offer him an alternative way to spend the money. It's as simple as that.

You have no idea what charitable contributions I make, nor of the good deeds I do in my life. To suggest or hint otherwise just makes you look like a nincompoop.

Perhaps I want to become a watch wearer? Everything you just said can be turned on you.

Archived