2012: List of Banished Words

Cooper
This topic is 4542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lake Superior State University has come out with their 2012 "List of Banished Words".

Do we agree? Can we think of others?

amazing

baby bump

shared sacrifice

occupy

blowback

man cave

the new normal

pet parent

win the future

trickeration

ginormous

thank you in advance

two that I feel are missing from the list: "OMG" and "WINNING"

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, what a WINNING thread!

"sitch" which many of the kids today use in place of situation. Hey Coop - what's your sitch?

I also hate LOL. People act as though it gives them impunity to say anything negative they want. As in: I hope you become infested with boils, die a miserable and painful death, and your family is cursed for generations...LOL!

Let's see. There's also ridonculous, adorkable, laundreemat, liberry, and I really hate it when people "axe" me a question. And in the work world I hear "basically" in just about every sentence. I always want to ask if they are telling me the basics because they think I'm too stupid to understand the details. I also hear basically in this context: "basically, what we're talking about..." Ok, don't tell me what you're going to talk about, just talk about it.

Of course let's not forget irregardless. But I gave up on that years ago.

But then I guess some of these are non words and mispronunciations are just the new normal.

I wish that interviewees would stop prefacing every answer with "Yes,......" as though that makes their response sound more friendly.

Oops! I didn't mean this to refer to you, samai. I was thinking of politicians and athletes, because it suggests to me that they don't understand the question, or don't intend to give a relevant answer. My bad. Your posts are actually awesome.

I absolutely hate the word disrespect. I want to vomit every time I hear someone says for example - He disrespects me. The fucking word doesn't exist. The correct usage should be - He doesn't respect me. I hear it more and more every day including on the radio and television.

I also hate the use of the word goes instead of the word says ie. He goes what time are you leaving and she goes about 7:00 p.m.

Additionally I hate the fact that many people, including Barak Obama, have decided that the final letter "g" is silent. Thus we have goin, workin, playin, sayin, fuckin, etc. etc.

One word which causes my teeth to hurt is: conversate. Changing a noun into a verb is nothing new, but this one irritates me. Another word that I find myself using almost as excessively as other people do is: really. I could also due without the term reality television. There is not much real about reality television unless it is a documentary.

Some "favorites" already mentioned are conversate, disrespect, and the now ubiquitous axe.

However, my absolute favorite is "misremembered" which was made famous by Roger Clemens as in, "Andy misremembered..." Well , if Andy misremembered I guess Roger also misremembered injecting himself with HGH...

Also, why do we now wait ON line instead of IN line???

Languages evolve and usually not for the better...

Really?

"sitch" which many of the kids today use in place of situation. Hey Coop - what's your sitch?

Spanky, You are a funny guy, lol... Please, post more in 2012.

Responses that bug me:

Doctor: I'm very sorry to inform you that your mother just passed away.

Response: REALLY?

(Like someone would make that up.)

Introductions:

I'd like you to meet my "significant other"...

or worse, this is "the bf"...

Christ! If you're jumping his bones you should at least know his name.

Names I need not to hear in 2012:

Kardashian (insert any 1st name)

Lindsay Lohan, or her parents

any cast member of the Jersey Shore

Let straight guys know they are not insulting gay men when they say:

"Suck my dick!", "Go F**K Yourself", or "Sit on this" while grabbing crotch...

These are Terms of Endearment to our ears. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year! Hoping the Mayans are wrong...

Coop

Introductions:

I'd like you to meet my "significant other"...

or worse, this is "the bf"...

Christ! If you're jumping his bones you should at least know his name.

Although, and you can trust me on this, it's almost priceless when they forget. For example, if your name is Barry and they mis-speak and introduce you as Larry. My bf did this a couple of months ago and he's still doing occasional penance for that.

Actually the one that drives me the craziest, and it isn't a word, is a radio ad for a certain insurance company with a green reptile with an australian accent as it's spokes"person".

The ad copy says something like, "Home isn't only where the heart is, it's where the savings is". ARRRRRRRRRRRGH. Makes me drive off the road everytime I hear it.

Here is another rant on bad words. I wish I could say it's mine, but the credit belongs to someone else...

When people use "plz" because it's shorter than please, I feel justified saying no because it's shorter than yes.

I absolutely hate the word disrespect. I want to vomit every time I hear someone says for example - He disrespects me. The fucking word doesn't exist. The correct usage should be - He doesn't respect me. I hear it more and more every day including on the radio and television.

I also hate the use of the word goes instead of the word says ie. He goes what time are you leaving and she goes about 7:00 p.m.

Additionally I hate the fact that many people, including Barak Obama, have decided that the final letter "g" is silent. Thus we have goin, workin, playin, sayin, fuckin, etc. etc.

I am SOOOOO with you on this one, disrespect is a dreadful made-up word. I also hate the way people who are old enough to know better run a conversation with: "and I was like..... and he was like.....

I am no doubt getting old, but this was such a good opportunity to rant....

Archived