2012: List of Banished Words

Cooper
This topic is 4542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you want to get going on diction, I hate HATE HATE hearing that someone is running for Presdeneye States. And we're hearing that a LOT these days. :rolleyes:

And - instead of "terrorists" I often hear "terrists."

I wish we could ban "which begs the question" simply because no one uses the phrase correctly (what's always meant is something more like "which brings up the question").

Among terms in the gay community, I've heard the term "husbear" used more and more, and would love to hear it less and less. I'm sorry - I know some of us don't feel we have adequate/unique words to identify a gay married partner - my problem with "husbear" is that if you're introducing said "husbear" to a straight person, they probably will have no idea what you just said (and they might think you said "husband" but that they heard you wrong) - and if you're introducing said "husbear" to a gay person, they probably WILL know what you mean, so why not just say "husband" and be more succinct and less cutesy. (Besides, if he's a bear, we'll most likely already see that.)

Can we please ban "webinar?" - in no way is that really a word, lol.

I also would like to ban any use of the word "Kardashian." ;-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry - I think it's legitimate to invent new words to name new things. telephone and telegraph were once neologisms. Language evolves.

No one has objected to 'google' as a verb.

But "telephone" and "telegraph" both actually MEAN something, if you deconstruct them and look at the etymology. But what the hell is an "inar"? I'm not really objecting to the fact that a word has been made up - it's more that the word itself is just irritating to me.

It is occasionally necessary to create new words to introduce new and perhaps useful concepts.

santorum
(san-TOR-um) n.

The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter

that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex.

Sorry - I think it's legitimate to invent new words to name new things. telephone and telegraph were once neologisms. Language evolves. No one has objected to 'google' as a verb.

It is occasionally necessary to create new words to introduce new and perhaps useful concepts.

santorum
(san-TOR-um) n.

The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter

that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex.

Hmm - given the option between "Santorum" and "Webinar," I think I'd have to go with "Santorum." ;-)

Though isn't "Santorum" actually derived from the Latin phrase "Sanctum Santorum," [sic] lol? (That's Latin for "Right-wing politicians who think they're holier than thou." Or, given Daddy's definition, maybe it's "Right-wing politicians who think that their shit doesn't stink?")

;-)

Guest verymarried

"GROW" the economy or "GROW" the program. I mean it's already there. Do you GROW a dick when it gets hard? Also when did the price of something become the price "POINT" ?

Oops! I didn't mean this to refer to you, samai. I was thinking of politicians and athletes, because it suggests to me that they don't understand the question, or don't intend to give a relevant answer. My bad. Your posts are actually awesome.

Charlie---You gave me not one but two giggles this New Year's Day--catching me beginning my reply with "Yes" and then complimenting my posts with a word I abhor!!! Good on you. Or is that a phrase you cringe at? Ooops, ended a question with preposition. Sighhhhh. I'll rephrase. Is that a phrase which casues you to cringe. There. That's better.

Hope this thread, which I have enjoyed more than any other in months, doesn't get moved to the Politics section. Why am I worried? A thread about Gay Aging was removed from The Lounge because a few posts took on a political slant and one or two posts here could be construed as "political" although I don't think the overall character of the thread is.

How about the word mojo? I think I am pleased to have just heard on the radio that "It appears that Newt Gingrich has lost his mojo in the Iowa Republican caucus race". What the hell is that supposed to mean? From where did that stupid word come. Fortunately I hear it less and less these days.

But "telephone" and "telegraph" both actually MEAN something, if you deconstruct them and look at the etymology. But what the hell is an "inar"? I'm not really objecting to the fact that a word has been made up - it's more that the word itself is just irritating to me.

I see the difference, but I'm not sure all new words have to be based on classical roots. Just my opinion. :)

And I come from an environment where webinar was used commonly, so I may be biased.

By the way, i was surprised at the relative newness of seminar

While we're at it, I also hate "I'm good" instead of "no, thank you". I didn't ask you if you were good, I asked if you wanted another cup of coffee! Also, when I go into my bank and ask to make a deposit, I am frequently told "no problem". Why would it be a problem, you are a f*****g bank! Likewise when I ask for a glass of water in a restaurant and am told "no problem", the list goes on........

How about the word mojo? I think I am pleased to have just heard on the radio that "It appears that Newt Gingrich has lost his mojo in the Iowa Republican caucus race". What the hell is that supposed to mean? From where did that stupid word come. Fortunately I hear it less and less these days.

I first became aware of "mojo" from an ad campaign leading up to the US Open a couple of years ago, featuring Andy Roddick, who was predicted to go far because of his "mojo," which implied exceptional talent, magic power and sex appeal. When he lost early in the tournament, everyone was joking that he "lost his mojo."

Mojo actually has a mixed history. Some attribute it to Cajun voodoo practitioners, and others attribute it to African slaves. In both derivations, though, the primary definitions are objects instead of people.

(And I'll take a little Cuban mojo sauce on the side with my pulled pork sandwich any day!)

If we're going to strike words in common use, can we strike "utilize"? I've NEVER seen it used where "use" wouldn't suffice, and in most cases "use" would make the sentence clearer.

Archived