2012: List of Banished Words

Cooper
This topic is 4542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg
How about the word mojo? I think I am pleased to have just heard on the radio that "It appears that Newt Gingrich has lost his mojo in the Iowa Republican caucus race". What the hell is that supposed to mean? From where did that stupid word come. Fortunately I hear it less and less these days.
I think that mojo gained widespread popularity in the Austin Powers movies...............

[video=youtube;a6Acigj8isc]

[video=youtube;gEuw2mgLRuQ]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
actually[/color][/b] again I'd be ecstatic.

Actually, I wouldn't be able to have an actual conversation if I didn't actually say actually.

"sitch" which many of the kids today use in place of situation. Hey Coop - what's your sitch?

blame this guy:

http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/imagecache/350width/Mike_Situation%20SW_Comp%20A.jpg

Actually I'm kinda partial to "really" myself. Seriously, actually, I'm really sick of "my bad" too, but I'd also like to add "no problem" as a response to "thank you." That never fails to annoy me. Really. Seriously. Actually.

Seems no one ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY reads my posts at all< Thats the second one today that I already addressed earlier.....lol

"While we're at it, I also hate "I'm good" instead of "no, thank you". I didn't ask you if you were good, I asked if you wanted another cup of coffee! Also, when I go into my bank and ask to make a deposit, I am frequently told "no problem". Why would it be a problem, you are a f*****g bank! Likewise when I ask for a glass of water in a restaurant and am told "no problem", the list goes on........"

Seems no one ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY reads my posts at all< Thats the second one today that I already addressed earlier.....lol

"While we're at it, I also hate "I'm good" instead of "no, thank you". I didn't ask you if you were good, I asked if you wanted another cup of coffee! Also, when I go into my bank and ask to make a deposit, I am frequently told "no problem". Why would it be a problem, you are a f*****g bank! Likewise when I ask for a glass of water in a restaurant and am told "no problem", the list goes on........"

LOL, that's why I took business communication courses and read books that mention conversation.

Stuff like, "don't hesitate to call me" are avoided. Why would you assume I hesitated to call you LOL? Other things include, "sorry to interrupt you, can I ask you a question..." You just did! We say it out of habit, but in actuality we're just adding more to what we need to say than is necessary.

Here are the two that make me cringe:

most unique: Exactly what is that supposed to mean? Either something in one of a kind of it's not.

asterisks, as in sh*t: Why? The use of the asterisk implies that both parties know what the word is. If you don't want to write the word shit, then don't use the word.

Additions to the Banned List

Great replies...

Here are some other words & expressions I'd like to hear less used:

"Don't get me started"... (and then go on for 5 minutes about it)

"You don't want to go there"... (ok, I'll have to ask, why?)

Just sayin' (what?)

"I hear ya"... (oh, I thought your hearing aid was turned off...duh winning!)

"Shut-up" (as girls use it)

"Bottom line"... (and it took 5 minutes to get to the bottom line)..

"Gotcha"... Try using "gotcha" in a sentence. :)

Finally, "a lot" is two words, not one "alot"...

Just sayin' Coop

At the end of the day........

...you're another day older

And that's all you can say for the life of the poor

It's a struggle, it's a war

And there's nothing that anyone's giving

One more day standing about, what is it for?

One day less to be living.

(Not that I think "Les Mis" created the use of the phrase in everyday life, but...)

;-)

Breaking News!!

Could we also get rid of the term "Breaking News"?

It’s simply become impossible to watch CNN, Fox News, MSNBC or any local tv newscast without witnessing constant “breaking news alerts.” Too often, these segments stretch the definitions of both “breaking” and “news.” Seems like broadcast news is all about the sensationalism and hype these days.

Guest Spanky
Great replies...

Here are some other words & expressions I'd like to hear less used:

Long story short....(sorry, buddy, it's already too late for that).

Actually, I can think of some other really choice expressions, but the bottom line is...don't get me started because you don't want to go there.

Archived