It's time for a MAME revival

It's definitely time for a MAME revival on Broadway. I know there was some serious talk about a revival by Jerry Herman back in 2002-03, at the same time there was talk about a TV Movie on ABC. (Streisand was going to star, then she was going to direct and Cher was to star, then Bette Midler was to star, etc.). His plan to bring it back to B'way squashed the ABC project. He was hoping to have three of his revivals up and running by 2010 - 'Mame', 'La Cage' and 'Hello Dolly'. 

At the time, he mentioned actress Michele Lee (she had just finished a run in 'Tales of the Allergist's Wife'), but also mentioned a few others (I remember Glenn Close and Shirley MacLaine were also talked about). But plans fell through when he decided to revive "La Cage" first, which opened in 2004 and flopped, closing six months later. He iced his plans for the other two. 

'Dolly' was finally revived in a successful run with Bette Midler a few years ago, and there was talk once again that 'Mame' was next - but the pandemic squashed those rumors. Nothing has been said since, except among fans who've had it on their wish list.

It's time there was a revival these days - who do you think could star and make it a successful revival ? 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, MaybeMaybeNot said:

I think about this from time to time. It's one of the few (if only) great classical musicals that hasn't been revived in the last 35 years.  

My latest thinking has been Patina Miller as Mame and Leslie Kritzer or Kara Lindsay as Vera Charles.

I think it needs celebrity names on the marquee to make it successful - just like Midler in 'Gypsy' and Jackman in 'The Music Man'. 

Perhaps the musical,  the book and Lucy Mame are old fashioned.

Too bad Rosalind Russell is no longer with us 

I couldn't stop laughing when Roz was the mystery guest on What's My Line 

Available on u tube 

15 hours ago, samhexum said:

Comedy ran in the family.  Her twin brother, Nipsey, was a hoot.

Since we are going for broken, Rosalind Russell was also Broadway star with Auntie Mame and and a musical (Wonderful Town)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that to make a Mame revival successful you need a mega movie star (Broadway stars simply wouldn't be enough to bring a wide audience in) someone like Meryl Streep? and then you need a gimmick to give it the face lift it needs - Charles Bush or Ru Paul for Vera Charles?

30 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

How many people outside New York know Charles  Bush

You're probably right, but to see Bush as Mame Dennis in Auntie Mame would be just superb.

(The play, not the musical)

42 minutes ago, scrtlovr said:

I think that to make a Mame revival successful you need a mega movie star (Broadway stars simply wouldn't be enough to bring a wide audience in) someone like Meryl Streep? and then you need a gimmick to give it the face lift it needs - Charles Bush or Ru Paul for Vera Charles?

Somewhat sadly, I agree.  Profitable Broadway shows now only work when the tourist dollar comes in and keeps coming in.  It's become much less important for native New Yorkers to like something.  Hence, a bad review from the NYT no longer makes much of a difference in ticket sales.

I'm sure Frank Rich is weeping somewhere.

For me, Mame would work with a singing 'name' that could reliably do 6-8 shows a week.

The title role is so demanding. Big star name with 
“top-drawer”😉comedic chops, lady-like bearing, high chest voice, and strong dance ability is essential. It’s a marathon. Though Mame plays up to 50 something, you need to be no more than 40 to live through 8/wk. I can’t think of one with the draw. 

I’d hire Bowen Yang to rewrite Ito. 

Posted (edited)

Another legend from the Golden Age of Hollywood, Greer Garson, who starred as Auntie Mame on Broadway, appeared as the Mystery Guest on What's My Line in 1958 promoting the musical hit.
As with Rosalind Russell, the panel couldn't figure out whether Garson was a male or female (TBH, with her deep voice and over-the-top make-up, she does look/sound like a female impersonator). 
Why were only husky-voiced, throaty actresses chosen to play the lead in Mame?

Greer Garson appearance begins at 17:25

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN