It's time for a MAME revival

It's definitely time for a MAME revival on Broadway. I know there was some serious talk about a revival by Jerry Herman back in 2002-03, at the same time there was talk about a TV Movie on ABC. (Streisand was going to star, then she was going to direct and Cher was to star, then Bette Midler was to star, etc.). His plan to bring it back to B'way squashed the ABC project. He was hoping to have three of his revivals up and running by 2010 - 'Mame', 'La Cage' and 'Hello Dolly'. 

At the time, he mentioned actress Michele Lee (she had just finished a run in 'Tales of the Allergist's Wife'), but also mentioned a few others (I remember Glenn Close and Shirley MacLaine were also talked about). But plans fell through when he decided to revive "La Cage" first, which opened in 2004 and flopped, closing six months later. He iced his plans for the other two. 

'Dolly' was finally revived in a successful run with Bette Midler a few years ago, and there was talk once again that 'Mame' was next - but the pandemic squashed those rumors. Nothing has been said since, except among fans who've had it on their wish list.

It's time there was a revival these days - who do you think could star and make it a successful revival ? 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, MaybeMaybeNot said:

I think about this from time to time. It's one of the few (if only) great classical musicals that hasn't been revived in the last 35 years.  

My latest thinking has been Patina Miller as Mame and Leslie Kritzer or Kara Lindsay as Vera Charles.

I think it needs celebrity names on the marquee to make it successful - just like Midler in 'Gypsy' and Jackman in 'The Music Man'.