It's time for a MAME revival

I went to a one-night reading of Mame with Charles Busch as Mame and Marion Seldes as Vera some years ago. It was a benefit for the Actor's Fund. It was quite a fun evening...the two of them left no carpet unchewed. 

One of the big problems...they would have to tweak the characterization of Mame's butler Ito. But they're rewriting many of the classics now to address issues that just won't fly with a contemporary audience...and many times they're real improvements. 

Honestly...I'd love to see Sutton Foster do it. At 49, she's older than Angela Lansbury was when she created it. 

37 minutes ago, skynyc said:

Honestly...I'd love to see Sutton Foster do it. At 49, she's older than Angela Lansbury was when she created it. 

I just don't think Sutton doesn't have the gravitas for the role.  

As she ages, she's hitting a wall of not being believably castable in brassy, comedic roles that fit her so well a decade ago.

43 minutes ago, skynyc said:

I went to a one-night reading of Mame with Charles Busch as Mame and Marion Seldes as Vera some years ago. It was a benefit for the Actor's Fund. It was quite a fun evening...the two of them left no carpet unchewed. 

Didn't see that one, but what a fucking cast:

Marian Seldes (Vera Charles), Michael Berresse (Ralph Devine), Sarah Uriarte Berry (Gloria Upson) Charles Kimbrough (Mr. Upson) Beth Howland (Mrs. Upson), Swoosie Kurtz (Agnes Gooch), Alison Fraser (Nora Muldoon), Charles Shaughnessy (Brian O'Bannion), Douglas Sills (M. Lindsay Woolsey), B.D. Wong (Ito), Dylan Baker (Mr. Babcock) and T.J. Larke (Young Patrick Dennis)

I did see Busch play Mame at the Ogunquit Playhouse the next year.

• 2 weeks later...