Shorted time from masseurs you like...

I went to a session with one of my preferred providers today (Rainer of LA). I see him from time to time, but this has happened with a few others that I like as well. At the beginning they honor the time that we agreed on. I usually ask for 90 minute sessions. Over a few sessions, I find that the session is maximum an hour long. It's a good session, but it's not what I paid for. In some cases, the difference in cost between 90 and 60 minutes is very significant. Because I really like these few providers where this issue is happening, I'm a little anxious to bring up the topic, because I'm worried that it will sour a very good/natural relationship. At the same time, I'm annoyed.

I'm wondering if any of you have a preferred way of addressing this issue, or if you guys leave it alone to not ruin the relationship... 

If any providers are reading this, how would you want it addressed if you were the provider in this case?

For this very reason, I never schedule 90-minute sessions. You pay massage therapists for their time, so if they short you, you should compensate accordingly. By using the word “relationship” a couple of times in your post, it also sounds like you’ve grown attached to your favorites. At the end of the day though, you’re just a client to them. 90 percent of the masseurs in LA overcharge anyway, so take your hard-earned cash elsewhere if they begin to cut your appointment times short. If you absolutely can’t live without their massage, then bring it up and they should understand. If not, move on!

Again, so many take advantage of the service they’re providing and are getting paid $150+ an hour for just a mediocre massage. I know everyone in LA seems to be millionaires but these guys are making the same per hour as someone on a $300K+ annual salary. For that kind of money, their hands shouldn’t be coming off your body until the 90-min mark.

39 minutes ago, CuriousGuy714 said:

... By using the word “relationship” a couple of times in your post, it also sounds like you’ve grown attached to your favorites. At the end of the day though, you’re just a client to them ...

The word 'relationship' is very flexible, so I wouldn't read too much into it. A professional relationship is still a relationship if it involves periodic contact, whether it's your doctor, accountant or masseur. If you go to the same cafe every morning,  your relationship with your barista is probably one of your closest (and they may know more about you than anyone else!).

I really dislike when my time is cut short, which unfortunately has occurred several times. If it's the first encounter with that provider, I opt not to hire them again. However, if they're a regular provider, I approach the situation differently. I believe some of them may take clients for granted and assume they don't need to put in effort to retain them. Typically, I may lightly mention the issue of ending sessions early, and most providers understand the hint.  If they don't, I'll have a conversation with them before considering hiring them again to address the matter directly.

Agreed. It is disrespectful when time is cut short. For a 60 minute session, the massage should last close to 50 mins with ten minutes allowed to get dressed, clean up, final chat and part ways.   I think with regulars they can start taking you for granted which is unfortunate.  I think it might be unintentional but it lacks professionalism. I agree, play dumb and mention the time issue. Otherwise you will stew and sulk and feel cheated. At the end of the day, it is still a business transaction. Speak up and stand up for yourself. You can do it in a nice polite way. 

59 minutes ago, dbar123 said:

When that happens, I just ask them to massage another part of my body that needs a little more.  Sometimes it pays to take a little control in a nice way

I do this, too.  If I see him starting to clean up at an hour when we've booked for 90 minutes, I'll say, "For the last 20 minutes, can you focus on my feet and calves?".  I've never had a masseur say no.

One time, I just paid him for the hour rate instead of the 90 minute rate.  He had no problem with that.

But being shortened on time rarely happens.  Most masseurs finish right on time, or even go over by a few minutes and then I tip accordingly.  I always book 2 hour sessions if available.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

I work hard to retain my clients. I learn what they like and lean into it. I find my long term client appointments keep getting better and better, both for massage and ‘more’. Some of them transition from the former to the latter, or some combination. The relationship and quality of interaction tends to build up over time rather than erode. I value my clients.

Anyone that felt I shorted them on time I would like to hear directly about it so that I can make it right. I go the whole time, and often a little over. If your guy gaslights or dismisses you when you bring up the time shorting issue, it’s time to move on. This is an expensive service. You’re paying a premium. You deserve quality service for the whole time you booked. Period.

Repeat business is the best and easiest business. It pays to be diligent in providing the full time (quantity) but also quality time matters. Guys that don’t understand this concept baffle me! 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:41 PM, CuriousGuy714 said:

these guys are making the same per hour as someone on a $300K+ annual salary.

^This is only true if we were paid like a full time employees billing something like 2080 hours per year. Our profession doesn’t work that way. Our booked (and therefore compensated) hours represent a fraction of full time, perhaps 20-30 hours per week. It’s possible, but unusual for a masseur to be booked more than 40 hours per week. At a bare minimum, I have 30 min gaps between back-to-back clients and that prevents me from booking 40+ hours per week, even when every day is 100% booked in a given week.

For some of us with other jobs, we may only book 10-15 hours a week. You better believe we spend 10-20 hours (or more) per week on all the UNPAID (yet necessary) parts of the job like responding to endless inquiries at all hours of the day/night, many of which never lead to a completed appointment. Marketing, client follow up, cleaning, laundry, shopping, continuing education, prep work, personal care, gym (if you count that), client development, outcall transportation to/from clients (including traffic and being early to always arrive on time), equipment setup/takedown, restocking supplies, clients flaking last minute or no-shows, etc…. all take gobs of time.

We are compensated a high rate for the time clients actually book and show up for, NOT for all the other work we do. So cut that $300,000+ “salary” down accordingly. The rates you pay us factor all that extra work in. Some weeks or months are slow. Some days we have no work because of bad weather and clients flake. Other times we travel and have back to back work all day. It varies. 

It's seldom I've had that happen, but it's for a myriad of reasons, the primary one being my company was unpleasant, followed by him needing to get ready for another client, followed lastly (just one time that I'm aware of) by really wanting to watch a sporting event that was on. 

Look at it this way - How often have you had a guy go over the time, and not said a word to you about increasing the donation? Generally, I think it's fantastic when a masseur isn't clock watching. Typically, I give up front more than what is asked (gratuity) when I'm seeing someone more than once because I enjoyed the first encounter so much, which I know is not at all standard practice, but they appreciate that.