Mpox Re-emerging in Toronto

Luv2play

Today’s Globe & Mail reports that 21 new cases of mpox have been reported in Toronto since the start of 2024 compared to only 27 in all of last year. Only 2 of these involved international travel. Again men who have sex with men are the ones contracting the disease. 
Health officials said only 16 percent of those who got vaccinated in 2022 received a second dose. Two vaccinations 28 days apart was the recommended dosage. 

There have been smaller outbreaks in Ottawa and New York but less so in Montreal. In 2022 Montreal was the Canadian epicentre of the disease. I got my 2 shots but will now start asking providers about their vax status once again, having stopped a year or so ago. 

30 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I got my 2 shots but will now start asking providers about their vax status once again, having stopped a year or so ago. 

If you received your two smallpox vaccinations, won't the vaccines protect you? If so, then why ask others about their vaccinations?  It's like asking the bottom to wear a condom when the top is already wearing one.  It might make you feel safer, but it's irrelevant.

And if you're not confident the smallpox vaccines will protect you from monkeypox, then why should those same vaccines taken by another person protect you any better?  It's a wonder gay men ever hooked up 20 years ago prior to the chickenpox vaccine... It was so risky!

Like-with-like vaccination mixing affects infection breakthrough attack rates. Obviously, if vaccinated person A has 80% reduction in infection risk then the risk to vaccinated person B similarly possessing the benefit of 80% efficacy is less than if A is unvaccinated and had had zero risk reduction at point of A-B contact. Same with HIV PrEP, etc.

Edited by SirBillybob

4 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

If you received your two smallpox vaccinations, won't the vaccines protect you? If so, then why ask others about their vaccinations?  It's like asking the bottom to wear a condom when the top is already wearing one.  It might make you feel safer, but it's irrelevant.

And if you're not confident the smallpox vaccines will protect you from monkeypox, then why should those same vaccines taken by another person protect you any better?  It's a wonder gay men ever hooked up 20 years ago prior to the chickenpox vaccine... It was so risky!

Extra precaution! Vaccines are a good thing but they're not 100% effective!

Edited by marylander1940

19 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I guess I'm just a bigger risk taker than most men here.  I'll let someone blow me without asking for a certified copy of their vaccination records and same-day lab results.

I've never asked for lab results. 

All human actions involve some form of risk including sex. It's up to us to make choices. 

I BB before the HIV epidemy and after PrEP was proven to be effective. I never took the risk of HIV's Russian roulette that's why I'm alive. 

Edited by marylander1940

On 3/21/2024 at 12:54 PM, marylander1940 said:

xtra precaution! Vaccines are a good thing but they're not 100% effective!

And social pressure can be a great motivator for knowledge AND vaccination. So, asking partners, even if it isn't a limiting factor, is a good thing!

• 4 weeks later...

On the local radio news last evening it was reported there are now 4 active cases of Mpox in Ottawa, which has a relatively small gay community. They do get quite a few visiting providers from larger centres though such as Montreal and Toronto.
Something to keep an eye on as many gay men failed to get the full vaccinations when they were offered two years ago. I think many just thought the epidemic went away and wasn’t something to be concerned about. 

On 3/21/2024 at 6:12 AM, Luv2play said:

Today’s Globe & Mail reports that 21 new cases of mpox have been reported in Toronto since the start of 2024 compared to only 27 in all of last year. Only 2 of these involved international travel. Again men who have sex with men are the ones contracting the disease. 
Health officials said only 16 percent of those who got vaccinated in 2022 received a second dose. Two vaccinations 28 days apart was the recommended dosage. 

There have been smaller outbreaks in Ottawa and New York but less so in Montreal. In 2022 Montreal was the Canadian epicentre of the disease. I got my 2 shots but will now start asking providers about their vax status once again, having stopped a year or so ago. 

16% globally only got the first vax or are we talking one or several specific locations~? 
 Interestingly, enough, I was in London when monkeypox was breaking out in 2022. They had clinics set up and I was going to get my shot there but, I also was due to arrive back into the states before being able to get the second dosage. I was concerned that the vaccination would not be available in the states. Once back in the states, it was sadly true that the vaccination go high and demand, was in low supply, and it’s administration of what was available was relatively disorganized. Living close to the border, I quickly organize the trip to Canada, but, having been in London, and  Playful there and also being a provider, I actually was able to qualify for vaccination in the states after fulfilling the lengthy requirement of being tested for both Covid and monkeypox. After testing negative for both of those, I was eligible and went ahead to receive my vaccinations but, the process, and the management of those vaccinations was rather disorganized and confusing. I can see where individuals would be bewildered as to where, how and when to get their second shot~ 

Quebec was very organized and took the lead amongst provinces in Canada. I went to Montreal to get my first shot and they sent an email reminder for the second shot. 
They also didn’t raise any issues about qualifying and basically gave it to any gay man wanting it. And from anywhere. There were lots of Americans at the clinic in the Gay Village who came up to Montreal expressly to get it. 

Locally for me, the first vaccination involved jumping through some hoops. For the second dose, it was seamless. An email saying "time to schedule your 2nd dose. Click here for appt times."

If my memory is correct, I recall cities or states in the US where, because of the shortage, the controlling health dept opted to ONLY give one dose to most people.