Marion Anderson Hall

WilliamM

14 minutes ago, Charlie said:

That is incorrect. Only the auditorium in the Kimmel Center, which is currently called Verizon Hall, is being renamed for Marian Anderson.

Technically correct, but it doesn't matter because  this  honor is too  long in coming 😔

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Ha ha

Again, Marion Anderson is more important. 

When did you become the new Unicorn

First, this topic should be in the Opera sub-forum under Media & Entertainment > Comedy & Tragedy.

Second, no large performing arts complex in the United States has ever been named for a musician, singer, or conductor. As Charlie correctly points out, the name "Marian Anderson" (the correct way to spell her name, by the way) has been given to one portion of the Kimmel Center complex: the main concert hall. It's the largest part of the center.

Finally, there's The National Marian Anderson Museum and Historical Society in Philadelphia. It's been there for almost 25 years. There's also a Paul Robeson House and Museum.

So the city was not too late in naming and commemorating a place after her. And it's clearly not an honor that was "too long in coming." 

13 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

First, this topic should be in the Opera sub-forum under Media & Entertainment > Comedy & Tragedy.

Second, no large performing arts complex in the United States has ever been named for a musician, singer, or conductor. As Charlie correctly points out, the name "Marian Anderson" (the correct way to spell her name, by the way) has been given to one portion of the Kimmel Center complex: the main concert hall. It's the largest part of the center.

Finally, there's The National Marian Anderson Museum and Historical Society in Philadelphia. It's been there for almost 25 years. There's also a Paul Robeson House and Museum.

So the city was not too late in naming and commemorating a place after her. And it's clearly not an honor that was "too long in coming." 

My  somewhat sad  Marian Anderson  story. In 1982 I went to Philadelphia Phillies baseball  game. 

The. Annocer at  Veterans Stadium had bad news about  a  cherished  Philadelphian.  I can't  say it was about Marian Anderson,  but everyone  near mentioned  the great Ms Anderson had died.

In  fact, Princess Great had died in Monaco.

The palace  had  withheld  Grace' s condition even to her family in Philadelphia 

43 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

I have lived in Philadelphia for years and didn't know about the honors you mentioned 

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

My  somewhat sad  Marian Anderson  story. In 1982 I went to Philadelphia Phillies baseball  game. 

The. Annocer at  Veterans Stadium had bad news about  a  cherished  Philadelphian.  I can't  say it was about Marian Anderson,  but everyone  near mentioned  the great Ms Anderson had died.

In  fact, Princess Great had died in Monaco.

The palace  had  withheld  Grace' s condition even to her family in Philadelphia 

If you are referring to Princess Grace of Monaco, and her death, she was killed as a result of a car accident but I believe the autopsy showed she had suffered a neurological incident while driving in the hills above Monaco with her daughter. 
I was living in Geneva at the time and it was all over the news as she was probably more popular than any politician in the region, including the French President. IIRC the details of her death were not held back that long but just long enough to establish the facts. 

54 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

If you are referring to Princess Grace of Monaco, and her death, she was killed as a result of a car accident but I believe the autopsy showed she had suffered a neurological incident while driving in the hills above Monaco with her daughter. 
I was living in Geneva at the time and it was all over the news as she was probably more popular than any politician in the region, including the French President. IIRC the details of her death were not held back that long but just long enough to establish the facts. 

Well  her parents in Philadelphia were were ot told anything.  They thought she had minor injuries.

For those unfamiliar with Philadelphia, the Kimmel Center is similar to Lincoln Center, in the sense that different performance spaces within it have their own names--eg., the New York Philharmonic performs in David Geffen Hall, which used to be called Avery Fisher Hall. Lincoln Center sold naming rights to the highest bidder, but I doubt that was how Verizon Hall at the Kimmel got renamed for Marian Anderson. (BTW, for what it's worth, my own name is engraved on a glass panel in the now Marian Anderson Hall because of a donation I made at the time of its construction.)

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

For those unfamiliar with Philadelphia, the Kimmel Center is similar to Lincoln Center, in the sense that different performance spaces within it have their own names--eg., the New York Philharmonic performs in David Geffen Hall, which used to be called Avery Fisher Hall. Lincoln Center sold naming rights to the highest bidder, but I doubt that was how Verizon Hall at the Kimmel got renamed for Marian Anderson. (BTW, for what it's worth, my own name is engraved on a glass panel in the now Marian Anderson Hall because of a donation I made at the time of its construction.)

And what name is it that we should look for the next time we’re there? 😝 

7 hours ago, Charlie said:

the New York Philharmonic performs in David Geffen Hall, which used to be called Avery Fisher Hall. Lincoln Center sold naming rights to the highest bidder.

The circle I hang with in Manhattan won't call it Geffen.  It'll always be Avery Fisher.

He can write a massive check for whatever he wants, but it still won't gain him entrance into old NYC.