Is going to college still worth it?

17 minutes ago, BSR said:

I think it all boils down to whether you learn critical thinking in college, or not.  Kids who learn what to think are useless.  But kids who learn how to think will be able to adapt their critical thinking skills to many fields and many different career paths.  Unfortunately, universities today are churning out way too many of the former and precious few of the latter.

I think that has probably always been true of "higher education," not just today.

19 minutes ago, BSR said:

I think it all boils down to whether you learn critical thinking in college, or not.  Kids who learn what to think are useless.  But kids who learn how to think will be able to adapt their critical thinking skills to many fields and many different career paths.  Unfortunately, universities today are churning out way too many of the former and precious few of the latter.

I read through this thread and little was said about actually getting an education and lots was said about getting a job.  This pivoting of the university experience has been its downfall.  Yes there needs to be directed education toward certain careers but a broad based education which helps you develop lifetime interests and  inquisitiveness needs to part and parcel of a college education.  College should be for developing the person as well as the professional.  

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I think that has probably always been true of "higher education," not just today.

Maybe so, but I think the percentage of brainwashed parrots has metastasized in the last decade or so.  At the poker tables recently, a young college graduate kept talking about diversity, how great it is, how important it is, etc.  But when I asked him why diversity mattered so much, he had no response.  Lacking any semblance of a cogent argument, he defended his position by acting offended that I could question something as "crucial" as diversity.  No one had ever challenged this kid, nor had he ever questioned a single thing taught to him.  Sadly, he's just one of millions.

20 minutes ago, BSR said:

Maybe so, but I think the percentage of brainwashed parrots has metastasized in the last decade or so.  At the poker tables recently, a young college graduate kept talking about diversity, how great it is, how important it is, etc.  But when I asked him why diversity mattered so much, he had no response.  Lacking any semblance of a cogent argument, he defended his position by acting offended that I could question something as "crucial" as diversity.  No one had ever challenged this kid, nor had he ever questioned a single thing taught to him.  Sadly, he's just one of millions.

Big jump from lacking an answer to never been challenged and unquestioning.  My poker table discussion rarely, dare I say never,  have any depth, perhaps he realized that the felt may not be the place to have this conversation.  

54 minutes ago, purplekow said:

Big jump from lacking an answer to never been challenged and unquestioning.  My poker table discussion rarely, dare I say never,  have any depth, perhaps he realized that the felt may not be the place to have this conversation.  

From the deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, I'm pretty sure he had never gotten any pushback on the all-importance of diversity, whether at a poker table or any other setting.  In any case, I wouldn't hire this abject dumbsh*t to sharpen pencils, nor should anyone else.

Edited by BSR
Added a sentence

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 8:42 PM, BSR said:

From the deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, I'm pretty sure he had never gotten any pushback on the all-importance of diversity, whether at a poker table or any other setting.  In any case, I wouldn't hire this abject dumbsh*t to sharpen pencils, nor should anyone else.

Diversity matters and as an Irish Catholic I've benefited myself from being accepted in places my parents weren't allowed because they lacked the proper birthright.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, some have been born at a time when they think nobody has negative generalizations about them based in their background, looks, body type, etc. Sad but true, we still value people on how they look. 

Back to subject socializing (getting laid included) is also an important reason to go to college and a fast way to become independent from parents, family, etc. 

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

Diversity matters and as an Irish Catholic I've benefited myself from being accepted in places my parents weren't allowed because they lacked the proper birthright.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, some have been born at a time when they think nobody has negative generalizations about them based in their background, looks, body type, etc. Sad but true, we still value people on how they look. 

Back to subject socializing (getting laid included) is also an important reason to go to college and a fast way to become independent from parents, family, etc. 

I attended a Catholic college (Boston College) even though I was Scottish and Catholic.

Y best friend in college's dad gratituded Boston College Law School, but could not get a job because he was Irish.

He finally got a job with Joseph Kennedy, JFK's dad

On 4/5/2024 at 7:44 PM, BSR said:

The two of you were chatting while playing poker? I thought it required some math and concentration. I would take with a grain of salt what people say during small talk with strangers they'll never see again.

Was he white? Maybe diversity for him meant being seated at the same table with people of different ethnicity, background, gender, sexual preference, body type, etc. A friend also pointed at me lately that the "fat acceptance" movement is the next step when it comes to accepting others as equal. 

Let's take your word as valid and accept he was speechless when you asked about the importance of "diversity", possibly he was shocked about you asking that question and he simply thinks he's lucky to live in a day and age where there's no legal segregation based in ethnicity or religion.  

8 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

If that is the reason for college, then I argue the tuition money would be better spent on hookers.

I had no time to socialize in college.  I worked a part-time job, took a full load of engineering classes, and spent every waking hour doing homework or commuting to work/class from my parents' house where I lived.  I graduated with a useful STEM degree, work experience, and no debt.  I began to socialize when I was finished with college and had time for recreational activities, and a full time job to afford to move away from Mom and Dad.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

Posted (edited)

WWW.NPR.ORG

With demand for jobs like HVAC technicians, electricians and wind turbine installers, enrollment is ticking up at vocational schools as four-year college costs continue to...

Toolbelt generation! I love the name but I don't think most folks nowadays have the attention span to work with tools...

Edited by marylander1940

I was accepted at a very competitive state school where the curriculum was difficult no matter which course.

I received good grades, and got a BS in engineering that opened doors for me.

My college education is directly applicable to my work 

I was able to pay off my loans relatively soon.

So yeah, it was worth it.

Knowing how tuition has gone up definitely changes the conversation.  No argument there.