Variety names "I Love Lucy" as Best Show of all time

Ali Gator

Variety Magazine has listed the best television shows of all time, and says "I Love Lucy" tops the list. Following 'Lucy' (in order):

2 - Mad Men

3- The Sopranos

4- The Simpsons

5- Breaking Bad

6- Sex and the City

7- The Wire

8- Seinfeld

9- The Mary Tyler Moore Show

10- Roots

VARIETY.COM

Variety breaks down the best TV shows of all time. From The Sopranos to Community, these are the best series ever aired.

I thought Roots was a mini-series, not a show? I love Seinfeld, but as time goes on, more and more people who used to no longer do. It took a few decades for me before I really, really liked a sitcom like I did with that one, which was "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". The American "Office" passed me by in it's time, but I've enjoyed catching up with it in syndication.

I love many game shows that are 30 minutes, with one of my favorites being the one Peter Tomarken hosted prior to Press Your Luck with the little aliens moving up a board, Hit Man. I was too young to care, but it is shocking to see any tv "all-time" top 10 list and have M*A*S*H not on it.

Shows like these- especially comedies- are so subjective.  Everyone has a wildly different sense of humor.

For me, dry/satiric/witty/biting comedy is what I go for.  I'd have put in shows like The Comeback, Absolutely Fabulous, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Black Books, The Other Two, Hacks, Episodes, etc.  

That said, it's good fodder for conversations like these to see where everyone stands.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

Bozo's first sexual fantasy was being a young clown totally naked, cavorting in a hot tub with an equally naked Fred Mertz......
Fred was the teacher. Bozo was the eager student, seeking to learn how to properly please a lover from an older, attractive, experienced gentleman..

As we were on the cusp of a mutual orgasm, Ethel walked in the bathroom... ruined everything.

Poor Bozo...   Poor Fred....

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

17 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Bozo's first sexual fantasy was being a young clown totally naked, cavorting in a hot tub with an equally naked Fred Mertz......
Fred was the teacher. Bozo was the eager student, seeking to learn how to properly please a lover from an older, attractive, experienced gentleman..

As we were on the cusp of a mutual orgasm, Ethel walked in the bathroom... ruined everything.

Poor Bozo...   Poor Fred....

BTC

Fred was straight, my friend 

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Fred was straight, my friend 

Fred Mertz was obviously gay. Probably a voracious bottom.
Sadly, the moral codes of that era prevented the character from being too open or flamboyant about his sexuality.
Like James Dean and Tab Hunter, Fred Mertz was a gay icon to younger closeted gay men in the 50's.

Ethel was his lesbian beard. Fred and Ethel slept in separate beds, had no kids, and probably never had sex.

image.png.3e23a8a597ff36efa4e21ce70208aaa1.png 

Fred Mertz was a "man's man"

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

1 minute ago, WilliamM said:

When Desi Arnez  chose William Frawley  for Fred,  he told him no more drinking 

Yes, and to his credit he never showed up to work drunk, but don't you think the thought of getting it on with @BOZO T CLOWN after work would have driven him straight to the bottle for some liquid courage?  (I mean, have you seen the size of that clown's shoes?)

😁🤣😇😊😲

17 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Yes, and to his credit he never showed up to work drunk, but don't you think the thought of getting it on with @BOZO T CLOWN after work would have driven him straight to the bottle for some liquid courage?  (I mean, have you seen the size of that clown's shoes?)

😁🤣😇😊😲

Mr. Frawley was also on My Three Sons, So  it was clear  he was hardly a clown in his personal life 

33 minutes ago, samhexum said:

10 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Mr. Frawley was also on My Three Sons, So  it was clear  he was hardly a clown in his personal life 

You didn't follow the narrative...   Mr. Frawley would have needed liquid courage to get it on with @BOZO T CLOWN

On 12/21/2023 at 4:24 PM, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Bozo's first sexual fantasy was being a young clown totally naked, cavorting in a hot tub with an equally naked Fred Mertz...

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

Yeah, but he was a drunk, so under the right circumstances...

William Frawley the actor may (or may not) have been a drunk; however, Fred Mertz the landlord was definitely not an alcoholic. And it is unfortunate that you chose to disparage the reputation of one of America's most beloved characters.
Bozo doesn't recall ever seeing him drink anything stronger than coffee.

image.png.2c1a7e5f4d58d6ae9e9929ea6b3c2ff3.png

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

On 12/20/2023 at 10:55 PM, viewing ownly said:

I thought Roots was a mini-series, not a show?

Back then in the 70s, "Roots" was considered a mini-series with eight episodes airing. Today, eight episodes qualify as a 'season' for a series - 'The Gilded Age', 'Julia', 'Fellow Travelers' for starters. 

I found the list to be too heavy-handed from the 21st Century. There's not enough from the 50s and 60s (Where's BEWITCHED ? First show to deal with 'mixed marriages', prejudices and brought us Paul Lynde and Agnes Moorehead together!)

Most importantly, where was "Upstairs / Downstairs" on the list ? Or "I, Claudius" ?

Edited by Ali Gator