Staying strong and preventing falls

BobPS

WWW.PCF.ORG

Let’s think, for a minute, about falling – said no one ever.  Nobody wants to think about falling!  It’s awful!  Plus, you may be thinking:  “I’ve got prostate cancer!  That’s my...

Worth reading, if you’re a man of a certain age, even if you’re not undergoing ADT for prostate cancer

I started playing tennis in my 60s simply because it was exercise that I enjoyed doing. It wasn't until I had been doing it for several years that I saw the first article about a study that showed that regular tennis players were less like to injure themselves in a fall than non-players. Aside from the aerobic and muscle exercise, sprinting around a court hitting moving balls improves a person's balance and ability to react quickly to his or her environment. The disadvantage, of course, is the potential for injury to hip/ankle/wrist joints from improper repetitive usage. I play for two hours three days per week, and I have never had a serious fall, on the court or off, even though I am now now in the--ahem--"over 80 age demographic."

37 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I started playing tennis in my 60s simply because it was exercise that I enjoyed doing. It wasn't until I had been doing it for several years that I saw the first article about a study that showed that regular tennis players were less like to injure themselves in a fall than non-players. Aside from the aerobic and muscle exercise, sprinting around a court hitting moving balls improves a person's balance and ability to react quickly to his or her environment. The disadvantage, of course, is the potential for injury to hip/ankle/wrist joints from improper repetitive usage. I play for two hours three days per week, and I have never had a serious fall, on the court or off, even though I am now now in the--ahem--"over 80 age demographic."

GOALS 👆🏽👏🏽🙌🏽

I have a lovely friend who is 80 years old that lives in Beverly Hills and has had a trainer for probably 25 years,  the same trainer. For years he has been going to golds gym in Venice. However, he doesn't like to drive that much anymore and I can't say that I blame him.  About a year ago, I designed a program for him to be able to work out in the safety of his own home, using resistance, bands, and relatively light dumbbells and using a sofa chair that he could do squats in safely, and if he failed, he would fall into a exceedingly comfortable sofa chair 🙂 i've been seeing my friend since the beginning ( my beginning in this funny world and business that I'm very grateful for  )  He's strong, he walks and I'm certain he's kept/improved his bone density. He's doing all he can to help avoid falls. 🙏🏽

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve taken the odd bad fall over the last few years and even though I suffered some bruises or sprains I did not break anything and recovered quickly. I attribute that to having consistently done a lot of walking in the last several decades and more recently a lot of swimming. In my middle years I did a lot of gym workouts. I adapt as I get older. 76 now.

oh yes and a good sex workout every now and then.

2 hours ago, Cash4Trash said:

My doctor insists I carry my cell phone with me at all times so in case I fall I can get help quickly. 

The Apple Watch ️ has a fall detection feature which notifies EMS and designated emergency contacts... 

As for staying strong....  keep moving, it's the kiss of death to stop moving. Sitting is the new smoking 🚬 

I have myelopathy from a spinal cord injury, my spine surgeon says the myelopathy will eventually go away, but it's taking it's damn time. I go to the gym several times a week - walk on a treadmill and use the new concept rower. lift with  light-ish weights.  My balance is improving, but its a slow process.  I hired a new coach mostly as eye candy - i already know what I need to do.

One of my former doubles tennis partners is now 92, so she decided she is a little too slow to keep up with the much younger players who are her only options as partners. Now she plays pickleball almost every day instead, but she admits it is not as satisfying. She has only fallen once in all the years I have known her, while hiking on a trail in her 80s, and she simply got up and hiked back home.

2 hours ago, Thelatin said:

I started exercising and hired a coach, haven’t exercised in 30 years.  I thought I knew how to lift weights, turns out I didn’t know much.  I’m going to end up looking better in my 50s than I ever have.  It’s super exciting.

Congratulations!!  There is no greater pleasure than inhabiting a very fit body.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 7:45 AM, Simon Suraci said:

I have a 91 year old client, a regular. Those rolling walker/trolley things are underrated. Very helpful for walking and preventing falls. It keeps you moving safely.

Now if only my grandfather were not too proud to actually use his…

It's called a Rollator.  I have one - at one point my balance was impaired enough that I realized I could fall when walking outside, so I bought one on Amazon.  I've graduated from the Rollator to a cane.  Before long, I will graduate from the cane to being fully mobile again.  We went to Santa Cruz for Christmas - the day before Christmas, I was standing outside the restaurant where we had just had breakfast - a young woman walked past and said,"You look awesome!! Merry Christmas."  Great Christmas present.