DC Forum Meetup - MAL 2024

Keenan

Mid Atlantic Leather, it takes place over MLK weekend in Washington, DC.  In the past there has been a forum meetup that weekend in the DC area, typically lunch/brunch on one of the days and potential other planned meetups/gatherings that weekend.  Some people attend Mid Atlantic Leather since it's that weekend or go to the vendor mart there but some people also just come for the meetup.  I have some ideas for this year if we can get some interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year or the year before there was some discussion about having an East Coast gathering in Fort Lauderdale instead of DC. The weather is better, there are lots of flights and several gay accommodations. Given that few DC Gathering participants actually went to MAL, and since Secrets/Zigfield's has closed, it might make sense.

• 1 month later...

For those who are not familiar with it, this was a gathering of forum members coinciding with MAL and the MLK weekend. It was originally organized by a very active member of this forum so that he could meet other East Coast members. It started with just a brunch at Annie's, then expanded to include a visit to the Secret's strip club, a happy hour at MAL, and some other events here and there. I think it reached its pinnacle about 10 or 12 years ago, with perhaps around 30 people attending.

The original organizers are no longer participating in this forum, so over the years since various people (including me) have jumped in to organize it. The last time was an attempt for the 2022 weekend, but at that time we were still coming out of the pandemic and there was only a handful of people expressing interest in attending. Then DC implemented masking restrictions in response to a winter Covid spike, and we called it off.

Interest had been waning in recent years, particularly once Secret's closed. For me, the visit to Secret's was a big highlight, and I expect it was for others too. But the most common complaint was it's just too damn cold in DC in January, so thanks but no thanks. And traveling during the winter is not fun.

I think it was great at its prime, but at least in my opinion has played itself out. Of course some may have other opinions!

1 hour ago, José Soplanucas said:

You all can stay in California and the South Hemisphere, weather sensitive bitches. We are not so cold in DC.

By the way, I found this picture from the last DC gathering. You can see a few forum members leaving their hotel in DC to run to Secrets.

eskimo-run-out.gif

The temperature in Palm Springs when I woke up this morning was 38F.

MAL is an event which can only be understood in attending.  No written word can quite describe the debauchery which one might encounter  and or participate in doing.  I attended about 5 of these Forum Mettups including the first one at Annies for Brunch.  The weather was actually quite nice and the the fellowship was refreshing.  The others I attended were always a fun weekend but the number of attendees waxed and waned.  I was one that tried to Nate to get it off the ground again in 2022 without success.  

Some of us recall the most scandalous and controversial occurrence in all the forum meetings occurring during an early MAL meeting.  Ah the drama.  It had everything one could want in a scandal and there was a substantial hold over after the weekend was over.  Do not contact me for details, because unlike other orifices of other people that weekend, my lips are sealed.  

Edited by purplekow

23 hours ago, nate_sf said:

For those who are not familiar with it, this was a gathering of forum members coinciding with MAL and the MLK weekend. It was originally organized by a very active member of this forum so that he could meet other East Coast members. It started with just a brunch at Annie's, then expanded to include a visit to the Secret's strip club, a happy hour at MAL, and some other events here and there. I think it reached its pinnacle about 10 or 12 years ago, with perhaps around 30 people attending.

The original organizers are no longer participating in this forum, so over the years since various people (including me) have jumped in to organize it. The last time was an attempt for the 2022 weekend, but at that time we were still coming out of the pandemic and there was only a handful of people expressing interest in attending. Then DC implemented masking restrictions in response to a winter Covid spike, and we called it off.

Interest had been waning in recent years, particularly once Secret's closed. For me, the visit to Secret's was a big highlight, and I expect it was for others too. But the most common complaint was it's just too damn cold in DC in January, so thanks but no thanks. And traveling during the winter is not fun.

I think it was great at its prime, but at least in my opinion has played itself out. Of course some may have other opinions!

THOSE were some FUN TIMES my friend!!!!!!