Has anyone taken the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York?

BobPS

6 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Have your doc prescribe a scopolamine patch and test it out *before* your trip to see if it causes you any side effects. Of course nothing is 100% but I've seen many chronic "mal de mer" sufferers enjoy the ocean again using it.

I used that on a short ferry from Santorini to Folegondros, but really how do you actually test it in preparation for a transatlantic cruise?  There is nothing like a trans atlantic cruise for shear wave terror.

42 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

I used that on a short ferry from Santorini to Folegondros, but really how do you actually test it in preparation for a transatlantic cruise?  There is nothing like a trans atlantic cruise for shear wave terror.

Well I firmly believe there is a mental-anxiety thing that contributes to seasickness. So you're wise to pass.

From experience: you don't want to be on a sailboat at sea with a crew member so seasick that they can't even hold down water and oral medication. 🤢Next step? A Suppository, light coating of Vaseline because the Suppository can sting.

I think there is an element of 'getting your sea legs' too, even if it's just psychological. I did a crossing of the Sea of Japan (after a very pacific transit up the east coast from Yokohama to the La Perouse Strait) and was knocked for six by the SOJ, but after a tablet and a sleep, I was fine in what appeared to be the same sea states the following day. No idea what the fiendish soviet tablet was. Being horizontal was also better than vertical (no, I don't mean that sort of horizontal!).

• 3 months later...

I've done both Transatlantic Southampton-NY and NY- Southampton on QM2.  One was Maiden season the second 3-4 years later.  I Love the ship.  I prefer the East-bound trip to West because the 7day trip East cancels out any time change / jet-lag issues arriving in Southampton all refreshed and ready to go upon arrival in London.  We disembarked  early morning with plenty of time to catch the EuroStar to Paris on time for early check-in at our hotel. Depending on your flexibility $$ Princess or Queen's Grill suite is the way to go.  There are a lot of built-in perks to the premium suites, it's nice to have more space and other on-board amenities not available to Britannia.  I recently read that QM2 was just brought out of dry-dock and a complete refurbishment just like new early 2024.  Cunard is a favorite line if you're looking for a world class experience.  I'm scheduled for a 14 day cruise Southampton to Canary Islands round-trip embarking May 14th.  Cant wait to experience another Brand New Cunard, Queen Anne.

25 minutes ago, Giorgio said:

I've done both Transatlantic Southampton-NY and NY- Southampton on QM2.  One was Maiden season the second 3-4 years later.  I Love the ship.  I prefer the East-bound trip to West because the 7day trip East cancels out any time change / jet-lag issues arriving in Southampton all refreshed and ready to go upon arrival in London.  We disembarked  early morning with plenty of time to catch the EuroStar to Paris on time for early check-in at our hotel. Depending on your flexibility $$ Princess or Queen's Grill suite is the way to go.  There are a lot of built-in perks to the premium suites, it's nice to have more space and other on-board amenities not available to Britannia.  I recently read that QM2 was just brought out of dry-dock and a complete refurbishment just like new early 2024.  Cunard is a favorite line if you're looking for a world class experience.  I'm scheduled for a 14 day cruise Southampton to Canary Islands round-trip embarking May 14th.  Cant wait to experience another Brand New Cunard, Queen Anne.

The QA looks like it'll be beautiful.  Enjoy the voyage!

This QM2 drydock wasn't nearly as revolutionary as many drydocks tend to go.  This was mostly paint and carpet.  For a better idea of the particulars, Cruise Critic has a great thread on it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2971338-refit-pics/page/6/

Not that the ship needs some massive design shift, but Cunard handled this one with a very light touch.

I’ve done 5 NY to Southampton crossings and will be doing my first westbound Southampton to NYC this May.  As BN points out, the recent refurbishment was a light touch.  In addition to carpet, etc., I understand they replaced their internet.  It was in bad shape.  It will be a while before they can afford a full makeover.  They’ve got a lot of pandemic debt to payback.

If I wasn’t meeting up with friends I probably would do something else.  Cunard’s solo passenger charge is very high, they don’t give much onboard credit and drinks are not included.  Quite frankly, I think there are better options.  This fall I will sail from Barcelona to Miami on the new 600 passenger Explora II.  Seventeen nights.  Great price and all inclusive, beautiful new ship.  I am really enjoying the smaller ships.

1 hour ago, MikeThomas said:

This fall I will sail from Barcelona to Miami on the new 600 passenger Explora II.  Seventeen nights.  Great price and all inclusive, beautiful new ship.

I may be on that sailing.  I did the Explora I the first month it was running and it's a GREAT product by MSC.  Same client wants to try out the sister ship.

Will also be on Viking's Polaris next month.  Have done their river and ocean, but never this size.  Very much looking forward to it.