Has anyone taken the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York?

BobPS

• + BobPS changed the title to Has anyone taken the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York?

I’ve done long trips on the QM2 several times but never transatlantic. It’s a beautiful boat and they are very adept at keeping you busy during long days at sea. I’ve heard, since you’re sailing the same direction the entire journey, which side of the ship you’re on during transatlantic trips is very important. Do your homework. I’ve also been in VERY rough seas on the QM2. Any other boat and I’m sure we would have had to pull into port, but the QM2 is built for that crap. So for better (or worse) we kept right on sailing. If it’s on your bucket list, I say go for it. Just make sure you do it during the warmest months with the calmest seas. The Atlantic Ocean can be a bitch!

Edited by nycman

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

I have not, but mostly because they maintain the old system of 'classes' on board, with certain pay categories allowed to eat in certain dining rooms, etc.  I hate the feeling of missing out because I can't afford a luxury suite...lol

Unfortunately that is becoming the norm on many cruise lines who now have exclusive restaurants, swimming pools, and lounges reserved for suite occupants.  (Celebrity and Norwegian come to mind).

At least Cunard still enforces a formal dress code for evening dinners and entertainment.   It is ludicrous to attend an "exclusive" restaurant for a five course meal only to be sat next to people wearing Tshirts and denim.

1 hour ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Unfortunately that is becoming the norm on many cruise lines who now have exclusive restaurants, swimming pools, and lounges reserved for suite occupants.  (Celebrity and Norwegian come to mind).

At least Cunard still enforces a formal dress code for evening dinners and entertainment.   It is ludicrous to attend an "exclusive" restaurant for a five course meal only to be sat next to people wearing Tshirts and denim.

Yes, I noticed that was happening.  It's nice to have specialty restaurants that you might pay extra for as long as anyone on board can book reservations, and it isn't just open to those in specific suite categories.  I have seen that some mainline companies have started to have segregated lounges, clubs and dining spots for their 'premium' guests - I guess so those who need to feel exclusive and separate can still feel special as they slum along the coast for 7 days with the rest of us peasants... hahaha.  And I think it's great that perks are available to those who are loyal to a particular line and who manage to acquire mileage or points.  Free laundry, free internet, free specialty restaurant dining, etc.  But I draw the line when someone is turned away from a restaurant simply because they happen to be in an inside stateroom rather than a signature suite.  Especially single travellers who already may have to pay hefty 100% supplements but receive only half the included bonuses.

It's on my bucket list as well, although I do wonder if the idea (poshness, glamour) is better than the reality (7 days, no ports).

The best tip I found about transatlantic crossings was to fly east and sail west so that you get an extra hour on 5 days of the journey.  If you sail NYC->Southampton, you lose an hour on 5 days and will likely sleep through all those terrific English breakfasts.

17 minutes ago, BSR said:

It's on my bucket list as well, although I do wonder if the idea (poshness, glamour) is better than the reality (7 days, no ports).

The best tip I found about transatlantic crossings was to fly east and sail west so that you get an extra hour on 5 days of the journey.  If you sail NYC->Southampton, you lose an hour on 5 days and will likely sleep through all those terrific English breakfasts.

I sailed 5 sea days each direction from San Diego to Honolulu then back with Celebrity cruises (on a smaller ship that is now decommissioned).  There were a few rough days where I stayed low and center in the ship.  But overall it was more pleasant than flying and I would do it again.

3 hours ago, BSR said:

I have really enjoyed the transatlantic and Hawaii cruises I've done because I find the days at sea to be enjoyable and relaxing.  Sitting on deck with a book, exploring the ship, and getting to know crew members are highlights for me, and equally important as the days in port from my experience.

Have done the crossing before and coincidently, just got off the QM2 just last week. 

It's worth it. Every penny. 

Duh, of course it's deliciously classist... It's British. No different than flying and either buying a coach seat or a first class ticket. The Pareto Principle remains alive & well in a world where shareholders need to be satisfied. 

If it's truly a bucket list item, do it and enjoy it. 

I highly recommend.  I have done a number of eastbound crossings… NYC to SOU and will do my first westbound next May.  Have made some great friends.  The ship is going in for a quick, light refurbishment this fall.  When you book, make sure you only have cabins above you.  I was on an incredibly rough January crossing a number of years ago.  What a blast!  There is an LGB cocktail party every late afternoon.  They only have two black tie gala nights now… they used to have three.  The rest are smart attire.  I book through Cunard and use them for my return airfare.  They offer some great business class airfares out of London and Paris.  The Grill Suites have their own restaurants, but it’s not that obvious.  The different classes are not very evident.  Treat yourself to a Verandah restaurant evening.  Best bar… the Commodore Club.  If you are leaving from NYC, make sure you are on deck 14 for the sail away.  It’s fun going under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge.

Don’t know what I would have done if I found myself onboard with Benjamin Nicholas.

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Is it for comfort during rough seas? Why?

On the QM2, Deck 7 has the buffet, lounges and Grills restaurants.  You can also do laps around the entire Deck outside.  3 laps = ~1 mile.  If you are in a cabin on Deck 6 you might hear noise from above.  Years ago I had a cabin on Deck 11... as it turns out under the ping pong table on Deck 12.  Some over served people were playing ping pong at midnight.  I could hear them. Security kindly asked them to stop and it was fine for the rest of the week.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I did one with additional stops including Reykjavik. Wasn't impressed.  

The ship isn't particularly luxurious, the food is average and I was in the grill rather than the main restaurant, even in the height of summer the North Atlantic is cold and wet a lot of the time. Entertainment is poor. 

Might have enjoyed it more if I'd had my week in New York first then travelled back to the UK cos the week in NY was hectic and the dullness of the crossing might have been more appreciated. 

7 hours ago, RugbyBen said:

Yes, I did one with additional stops including Reykjavik. Wasn't impressed.  

The ship isn't particularly luxurious, the food is average and I was in the grill rather than the main restaurant, even in the height of summer the North Atlantic is cold and wet a lot of the time. Entertainment is poor. 

Might have enjoyed it more if I'd had my week in New York first then travelled back to the UK cos the week in NY was hectic and the dullness of the crossing might have been more appreciated. 

I imagine the northern route could be like that, weather wise.  I've done crossings from Florida to the Med on other lines, and surprisingly, the oceans have always been pretty smooth and the weather has been warm enough to sit out on the balcony in shorts.  These were repositioning cruises in the mid spring and mid fall.

16 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

So what position were you in at the end of the cruise? 🥰

Seriously... I don't know that term. Can you please explain?

Cruise lines base their ships in certain ports for a 'season' and at the end of that they reposition them to another market for the next 'season'. That may be from US ports to some in Europe, or in a more extreme example be from Australian ports to, say, the US west coast or the Caribbean. There can be good deals on those repositioning voyages.

45 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

So what position were you in at the end of the cruise? 🥰

Seriously... I don't know that term. Can you please explain?

I was on a ship that was moving from the Caribbean to the Med for summer, and another time on one that was going from the Med to the Caribbean for the winter season.  You can get good deals on these cruises, and the transatlantic ones are usually 12-15 days long because you normally stop for a day in either the Azores or Madeira, sometimes the Canary Islands, and then a few ports in Europe.   As for my position at the end of the cruise, I was clinging to the balcony rail because I didn't want to leave the ship and have the trip come to an end.  

• 2 weeks later...

My partner has always wanted to take a Transatlantic Cruise on one of these larger boats, and I'm sure I would enjoy it as well, so much reading!, but I'm terrified of discovering I'm seasick and being stuck with it for a week!  I know they have medications, but what could those medications be?  Reglan is awful.  Composine is dangerous.  Zofran is ineffective so that is it, Dramamine, or that one that goes behind the ear?  Those prevent motion sickness, if they work, but do you do when you are seasick and you can't leave the boat?  The idea, the possibility, terrifies me.

1 hour ago, Rod Hagen said:

My partner has always wanted to take a Transatlantic Cruise on one of these larger boats, and I'm sure I would enjoy it as well, so much reading!, but I'm terrified of discovering I'm seasick and being stuck with it for a week!  I know they have medications, but what could those medications be?  Reglan is awful.  Composine is dangerous.  Zofran is ineffective so that is it, Dramamine, or that one that goes behind the ear?  Those prevent motion sickness, if they work, but do you do when you are seasick and you can't leave the boat?  The idea, the possibility, terrifies me.

To avoid seasickness, avoid taking any boat into the ocean and instead travel by ship.  Ships are bigger and more stable in choppy waters than boats.  Ocean liners (which the Queen Mary 2 is) are even better than cruise ships for crossing the Atlantic.  Their sleek design and front help to cut through the waves at faster speeds.

Regardless if you take a cruise ship or an ocean liner, book a cabin mid ship and on a low deck.  These rooms are closest to the center of mass of the ship and will rotate less during choppy weather.

As for medication, Dramamine works but also makes one sleepy.  Medications need to be taken BEFORE sea sickness occurs.  On my first few cruises, I took Dramamine as soon as we left the dock on the first day, and took each day thereafter for the first few days of the cruise.  I slept a lot those first few days.  I now no longer use the pills, but have them in my suitcase just in case.  But I still avoid boats including yachts, catamarans, and the ship tenders because I know their motion is unpleasant for me.

5 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

My aunt suffers from terrible motion sickness (even a 5-minute car ride can make her green to the gills) yet is able to go on cruises without a hitch.  She does what @Vegas_Millennial advises, lower deck midship cabin, plus she sticks to bigger, newer ships because they usually have better stabilizers.  She does take medication (some European prescription she gets in the Philippines) that works like a charm, but I'm guessing something quite similar is available in the US.

8 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

The idea, the possibility, terrifies me.

I have been on the Queen Mary 2 in 30 Foot seas. Unfortunately, your fear is well-founded. There is no turning back and it can be rough. As @Vegas_Millennial stated above, you really have to take sickness medicines before you get seasick in order for them to be effective. And most of them make you very drowsy. In fact, that’s half of how they work. They make you sleepy, so you don’t really care that you’re bouncing all over the place.

Although I’m not very prone to sickness myself, when there’s literally hundreds of people around you vomiting all over the place (including the crew) and you’re bouncing up and down 30 feet in the air for three days straight, it’s pretty much inevitable. In addition, in seas that rough, it’s not really safe to move around the boat so there’s nothing to do. Honestly, I wouldn’t even dream of doing a transatlantic journey on anything other than the QM2. She’s a true ocean liner and she’s built for that stuff. Nonetheless, 30 foot waves are 30 foot waves. She may keep you alive, but you’ll still wish you were dead.

Having said all that, I still wouldn’t let it deter from a transatlantic journey on the QM2. The above advice on cabin selection is spot on. If you’re someone who gets seasick walking across the street, then I would start sickness medicine (most likely a scopolamine (Dramamine) patch) the day before I start my journey. Otherwise I would just watch the forecast and ask the crew what the projections were. They usually know pretty well a day or two before how rough the ocean is going to be.

Edited by nycman

9 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

know they have medications, but what could those medications be?

Have your doc prescribe a scopolamine patch and test it out *before* your trip to see if it causes you any side effects. Of course nothing is 100% but I've seen many chronic "mal de mer" sufferers enjoy the ocean again using it.