LaGuardia to NY Penn Station options

azdr0710

experienced traveler here and I prefer public transport over "car service" and limos, especially when alone.....

will be needing to get from LaGuardia (LGA) to NY Penn Station late on a weekday afternoon in a few weeks....may've done this as a kid holding Mom and Dad's hands, but that would've been in a cab.....

summarizing, looks like the cheap(!) way is to take the free Q70 bus from Terminal B or C to either the subway or LIRR (one stop further) and go on one or the other right to Penn....

https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/laguardia/lga-to-nyc

is this the way regulars do it?......I'll have a small duffel and a light backpack and can walk long distances........I have an old Metrocard, but don't know if it's still reloadable.....I also have the MTA/TrainTime app......

or, for a few more bucks, is there a direct option to Penn from LGA that doesn't require any change at all?......

hints, cautions, new ideas?.....thanks

Edited by azdr0710

35 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

I have an old Metrocard, but don't know if it's still reloadable.....I also have the MTA/TrainTime app......

The Metrocard I have in my wallet has an expiry date stamped on the back (bought in Apr this year, expires end of Jan 25) but for bus/LIRR obviously you don't need one. With the subway option I believe you can use a contactless credit card or smart device wallet on the OMNY reader. (If you're using JFK for a return flight a Metrocard is the only option for the air train.)

I just returned from NYC from last weekend's trip.  I didn't see anyone using Metrocards.  The OMNY readers are now functional.  I set up one of my credit cards as a "transit" card in my iPhone, then used my iPhone to tap the OMNY reader to pay for subway fare.

The Q70-SBS bus transfer from LGA to 74th ST/Roosevelt Station (subway connections) or WoosideAve/61st (for LIRR connection) is now free.  You pay once you enter the Roosevelt Station/Woodside Station.

Advanced planning my save transit costs.  If you qualify for a reduced-Fare, you can apply for a reduce-fare metro card, then use the number assigned to active an OMNY account so you can use your phone to tap the OMNY reader for the reduced-fare.  It took under 30 days to apply and get a reduced-fare metro card.  All of the buses and subways have OMNY readers now.

Here is link on the OMNY readers. 

OMNY.INFO

Homepage

Here is a link on MTA's reduced-fare MetroCard. 

NEW.MTA.INFO

Reduced fares are available for riders who are 65 or older or riders who have qualifying disabilities.

34 minutes ago, nycman said:

You lost me. 

grin

To answer the question (only because I love you), the bus to subway option is the one preferred by locals. 

(Now get a car service you cheap ass bitch….sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

For us locals....all of this is about time of day. You're crazy if you take a car service into Manhattan arriving at LaGuardia during the day. Traffic will be horrendous and will take you twice as long (if not three times as long) as the public transportation options. So while an Uber may seem more "classy" it's the worst choice between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM.

A real New Yorker is well familiar with public transportation options for this reason.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 7:57 PM, azdr0710 said:

experienced traveler here and I prefer public transport over "car service" and limos, especially when alone.....

will be needing to get from LaGuardia (LGA) to NY Penn Station late on a weekday afternoon in a few weeks....may've done this as a kid holding Mom and Dad's hands, but that would've been in a cab.....

summarizing, looks like the cheap(!) way is to take the free Q70 bus from Terminal B or C to either the subway or LIRR (one stop further) and go on one or the other right to Penn....

https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/laguardia/lga-to-nyc

is this the way regulars do it?......I'll have a small duffel and a light backpack and can walk long distances........I have an old Metrocard, but don't know if it's still reloadable.....I also have the MTA/TrainTime app......

or, for a few more bucks, is there a direct option to Penn from LGA that doesn't require any change at all?......

hints, cautions, new ideas?.....thanks

I’m a regular user of LGA.

If you don’t mind taking the overground subway stairs, you can take the M60 (there are machines nearby, or you can use OMNY). Get off just before the bridge at the N/W (yellow line)Astoria Blvd stop , Queens; that will take you on a single subway ride to 34th Street.

I agree that taking a car or Uber from any airport to Midtown Manhattan during the day can be a nightmare. We’re close to starting to charge a-another -midtown toll/surcharge, so the subway is the best option. I rarely take the M70 to go over the bridge; it will take me all the way to Upper Manhattan.

even if the N/w are running in only one side, Astoria Blvd always has both directions  

Have a great trip!

Edited by Alfstoria

me again.......

with this OMNY thing, it looks like I can just tap my tap-able credit card at the turnstile headed to a subway?....and I don't have to buy a Metrocard or whatever at those wall machines on the way to the turnstile?........do I tap again on the way thru the exit turnstile, too?......

or what do I have wrong here?......do all subway station have the OMNY?.....is it the way to go?

thanks for the answers!

1 hour ago, azdr0710 said:

me again.......

with this OMNY thing, it looks like I can just tap my tap-able credit card at the turnstile headed to a subway?....and I don't have to buy a Metrocard or whatever at those wall machines on the way to the turnstile?........do I tap again on the way thru the exit turnstile, too?......

or what do I have wrong here?......do all subway station have the OMNY?.....is it the way to go?

thanks for the answers!

The subway was swipe as you enter with the old cards and still is when you tap on with OMNY, and it's on all subway stations and buses. It's a flat fare so there's no point in making you tap off. I assume it's the same on buses, and as I read it you get a free transfer if you tap with the same card (or device) on both modes on the same trip (I don't know what the time limit is for a transfer). If you take 12 trips within a week, regardless of what day your first trip is, any further trips in the week are free if you use the same card. You don't need to register, just use the same card each time.

I'd say it is the way to go. Sydney has a more complex fare structure with distance based fares and separate fares on trains, buses, and light rail, so you have to tap on and off on each mode (ferries you only tap on before boarding). The credit card option works with that here and manages it, and applies transfer discounts between modes, cumulative fares (that is, not separate fares) if you have to change buses, and daily and weekly (Mon to Sun) fare caps.

7 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

do I tap again on the way thru the exit turnstile, too?......

New York's subway is pay-one-price. It's not priced by district and distance the way many systems are in Europe. Just use your phone pay app on entry and you can travel anywhere on the system with that payment. There are various free transfers from bus to subway or subway to bus, as well.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

All of these years I have trusted NY cab drivers, but this trip both leaving LGA and going back I got the tourist treatment. They drove all over the place and ran the bill pretty high. Should have taken the bus!

I never get into a NYC cab without telling them how I want to get there. 

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I never get into a NYC cab without telling them how I want to get there. 

that can be tricky - there are so many closures that you wouldn’t know about like parades routinely on the east side w major closures, construction, street fairs, security perimeters, accidents, etc.  vast majority of taxi drivers are honest & know what they’re doing.  I watch closely the first few moves and make suggestions if appears off-course. They almost always have a valid reason for doing what they’re doing if you ask. 

Rule of thumb - never get in a taxi when public trans will do.  It’s faster & cheaper 90% of the time.  

I’ve never experienced the “tourist treatment” - they can tell very quickly if you live there or not.  just by now you give the address. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

Rule of thumb - never get in a taxi when public trans will do.  It’s faster & cheaper 90% of the time.  

Well, yeah, that's always the case, but that's also an apples to oranges within the conversation.

If the taxi driver tells me something is running slow or there's closures, I always give them the shot to reroute.

4 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

that can be tricky - there are so many closures that you wouldn’t know about like parades routinely on the east side w major closures, construction, street fairs, security perimeters, accidents, etc.  vast majority of taxi drivers are honest & know what they’re doing.  I watch closely the first few moves and make suggestions if appears off-course. They almost always have a valid reason for doing what they’re doing if you ask. 

I’ve never experienced the “tourist treatment” - they can tell very quickly if you live there or not.  just by now you give the address. 

Lucky must have forgotten how to give the address, because he used to be a Manhattanite.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:02 PM, nycman said:

Now go home.

grin

OMG...When I lived in NYC metro I used to say something similar, especially when slowed by a group of tourists walking six abreast down a street near Times Square.  "Thanks for your money, now go the fuck home." 😝

Edited by randeman