Coronasomnia

Buddy15

3 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Statistically unlikely.

Unless you live on a remote island somewhere cut off from civilization, everyone's had Covid. What you mean is you never were aware of catching it because you never developed symptoms.

That might include me as I never tested positive and don't believe I ever had Covid.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:23 AM, Buddy15 said:

Has anyone experienced insomnia brought on by COVID?  Never had sleep issues before but I sure do now.

It’s not uncommon and there is a literature on it that you can search.

I assume you have had a positive SARS-CoV test, or signature COVID symptoms at some point, and that is the basis of your assumption for your own sleep disturbance. Bear in mind that test-negative research suggests that many folks pursuing formal testing for SARS-CoV-2 based on symptoms alone have unrelated illness. Therefore, a self-admin rapid test or lab test would have been your best bet, not simply illness symptoms.

The probability to date of NOT having infection-induced seroprevalence as represented by nucleocapsid antibodies, in contrast to spike protein antibodies that result from EITHER infection OR vaccination, is approximately ‘snake eyes’ on a single die roll. In fact older persons are less likely to have acquired infection that in turn spurs natural immunity. The research on infection-based antibody seroprevalence is quite sophisticated and accounts for waning levels of nucleocapsid antibodies.

If you have not had COVID infection confirmed, ie, there is some doubt you acquired it, and given the ratio of infection and non-infection history in the population, I would suggest ponying up some cash for a blood draw to assess for nucleocapsid antibody presence, often termed N antibodies by various labs. I’ve done it several times myself. I use Dynacare but my US contacts utilize Labcorp for the most part. To me, it would be worth it to confirm the basis of sleep changes in the absence of a previous formal infection disgnosis.

Edited by SirBillybob

When I got COVID, I got it at the hospital because I started treating a stomach bacteria, so I was taking hard antibiotics and going through COVID too. Not exactly the most fun two weeks of my life. I slept a lot, but probably because of co-infection or the treatment I was going through.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:23 AM, Buddy15 said:

Has anyone experienced insomnia brought on by COVID?  Never had sleep issues before but I sure do now.

When I cought the 2019 coronavirus that originated in China, I spent plenty of nights asleep in my chair because it helped my breathing.  But I've had no other changes to my sleep since the virus emerged, and after my breathing symptoms improved about six months after I cought the virus.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

That might include me as I never tested positive and don't believe I ever had Covid.

We're you tested weekly ? Because that's the only way you would know you never had Covid. The majority of people were asymptomatic.

Unless you live in a remote area and avoided contact with people all through 2020 to 2022..you've likely had it at least once. For people in densely populated areas the likelihood of infection is like 95%  Approximately half the entire planet was infected and even in some remote areas of the globe.

14 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

We're you tested weekly ? Because that's the only way you would know you never had Covid. The majority of people were asymptomatic.

Unless you live in a remote area and avoided contact with people all through 2020 to 2022..you've likely had it at least once. For people in densely populated areas the likelihood of infection is like 95%  Approximately half the entire planet was infected and even in some remote areas of the globe.

Wrong. You might be thinking of the total number of people who have produced COVID-19 antibodies. But that doesn't prove "infection." The latest statistics were recently published by the CDC.

WEDNESDAY, July 5, 2023 (HealthDay News)

While a little more than half of American adults think they’ve had COVID-19, the reality is about 77.5% have been infected at least once, new government data shows.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released final estimates for people ages 16 and up for 2022.

About 96.7% of adults had antibodies to the virus either from infection, vaccination or a combination of the two, the CDC reported.

Edited by Marc in Calif

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Statistically unlikely.

Unless you live on a remote island somewhere cut off from civilization, everyone's had Covid. What you mean is you never were aware of catching it because you never developed symptoms.

No kidding!!  …..so at the end NOW are we supposed to believe that “EVERYBODY” got Covid???……despite the masks, social distancing, lockdowns, “we are all in this together”, vaccines, boosters, bivalent boosters etc etc etc???……this is just, well not offensive….maybe just….incredible, to say the least….

Edited by LFABWC

All of the variations in Long Covid symptoms relative to the nervous system won’t be known for a while. I know people who’ve experienced hearing loss, tinnitus, changes in vision, smell and taste -  well after they were tested, diagnosed, treated, and otherwise recovered.
Others have neuropathy, brain fog, or trouble with sleep. Each issue gets addressed separately (like the opportunistic infections rampant in the gay community decades ago) as the direct cause cannot be eradicated. One can’t go back and UNHAVE the virus. Differing viral loads which peak on different timelines in patients (with their own underlying defense mechanisms) and make it impossible to predict how the damage will show up later. 

Ask for a home sleep study. You may have developed apnea, which is easily treatable. 

48 minutes ago, LFABWC said:

No kidding!!  …..so at the end NOW are we supposed to believe that “EVERYBODY” got Covid???……despite the masks, social distancing, lockdowns, “we are all in this together”, vaccines, boosters, bivalent boosters etc etc etc???……this is just, well not offensive….maybe just….incredible, to say the least….

Yup.

Masks only served to delay the virus spread

Covid is always very contagious and variant 19 was especially so.

21 hours ago, Lucky said:

My case as well, @pubic_assistance. I live in Hong Kong, where mandatory tests were the norm, and where you had to show your covid-free status to go to most public places (restaurants in particular). I have received 5 Pfizer shots since early 2021. Happy to say I am confident I have not caught the bug, statistics or not. 

1 hour ago, liubit said:

Happy to say I am confident I have not caught the bug, statistics or not. 

Yes. There are a lot of people who are confident they were never infected. They are wrong.  If you live in a city your chances of remaining uninfected are nil. Those vaccinations don't prevent you from catching Covid. They merely give you a running start on an immunoresponse.

18 hours ago, LFABWC said:

The purpose of immunization would be the possibility that anyone and everyone could acquire viral infection but that artificial immunity would render natural immune response a much less rough journey. Natural immune response, infection-induced, to date is estimated as 80% of the total population.

In fact PfizerBNT’S FDA submission late 2020 reported a suspected rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the vaccine group that was 150 times that of case count used in efficacy computation (see insert below). That metric would not be dissimilar to the pre-vaccination general population incidence at the time.

It would have been cost-prohibitive and extremely impractical to track infection-induced nucleocapsid protein antibody production precipitated by actual infection, in order to differentiate hybrid immunity from artificial immunity among those vaccinated in the trial, and in order to differentiate natural immunity from infection-spared among placebo recipients. The key was to demonstrate protection from serious illness and get a viable vaccine on the table. Vaccination was not designed to prevent viral exposure and natural immunity. 

The reality of a current majority of the population having acquired infection, with far less dire consequences, simply supports the legitimacy of vaccination development and administration efforts made to get there. I don’t grasp negative spins on this, though it is well established that the illusion of opinion validity is unequally distributed. 

IMG_6743.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

7 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

If you live in a city your chances of remaining uninfected are nil. Those vaccinations don't prevent you from catching Covid. They merely give you a running start on an immunoresponse. 🤣

Proven completely wrong by the latest CDC data! But you already knew that. 🎯

Edited by Marc in Calif

5 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Proven completely wrong by the latest CDC data! But you already knew that. 🎯

WTF? You completely misunderstood the CDC data. The data clearly show that as of November 2022, the last data shown in that link, 75% of adults had been infected and 96.7% of adults (97.9% of men) showed evidence of immunity as of the end of 2022. Obviously, the numbers can only have gone up since then. Since very few people have taken precautions since late 2022, one can deduce a significant climb in those numbers. As @pubic_assistance said, only a complete recluse could have avoided infection in the Americas or in Europe (China is a separate story, of course, and Xi's policies wrecked the Chinese economy, with ripple effects for the world economy). As @SirBillybob stated, the only way to know that one has not been infected would be to get tested for the antibody to the nuclear antigen of the virus. Most of those who've never been diagnosed probably had subclinical (or even completely asymptomatic) infections, perhaps due to the vaccine. This was obvious just from the results from the vaccine studies. And stupid emojis don't change that fact. 

Let’s unpack this a bit more. In the absence of 2023 USA data, what immunity research might one draw on to estimate ongoing cumulative infection-induced N-antibody seroprevalence subsequent to the latest CDC slice some 9 months ago?

I don’t have time to search global regional  trends. 

In Canada we see a relative levelling off of increase in infection immunity rates by time throughout 2023. If it weren’t for a 10% increase among older folks, always in fact lagging behind in evidence of infection acquisition, the plateau or relative flattening trend would be more pronounced. I might dare to put forward that a similar increase to, say, 85% in USA trends will be borne out in the next analysis iteration. But none of us is a crystal-ball gazer. 

Geographic population density has been assessed a little but seemingly only in Quebec, with no difference in infection immunity between the two urban centres and the dozen or so less populated regions. In fact the sparser areas to date have higher rates of infection immunity but when looking at confidence intervals for the smaller sample sizes those differences are essentially nullified. 

I append 2 specific province graphs, and an age-based graph representing all of Canada for the N-antibody component.

It doesn’t seem off base to assume that a substantial minority of board members, given age demographics, remain infection virgins, notwithstanding that both under-the-radar infection and spidey-sense are poor predictors of type of immunity. 

I am not an immunologist but I thought that over time, and given re-infection in terms of this disease, the residual minority of uninfected are not particularly low hanging fruit for first infection. Moreover, the extremely high rate of population artificial immunity in concert with ever increasing hybrid immunity would be a protective factor transmission-wise for the as yet infection-spared.

That said, I am hacking through a sinus cold superimposed on a recent initial SARS-CoV infection characterized by transient high fever and now remitted aggravatingly itchy abdominal trunk flank rash of 2 weeks. I tracked my infection status microbiologically over the past few years and made the decision to defer a Fall Europe trip pending re-vaccination (now moot), so pandemic OCD sometimes pays off with respect to circumventing illness abroad. I am sleeping marvellously. 

IMG_6770.jpeg

IMG_6769.jpeg

IMG_6771.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

Omg……this Covid stuff!! 

well the important thing however is that now everybody that wants to get the extra vaccinations and new boosters will be able to get it.

and that all the people that do not want to get those extra boosters and vaccinations will be able to stay booster free.

by the way I am wondering when is the CDC or whoever is in charge going to finally approve the Novovax booster in the US?

the only ones available here so far are the Moderna and Pfizer ones.