Changing Diet and Workout Routine

adunn1992

So I have to ask this question as someone who has been working out 4-5 days a week with HIIT workouts like Orangetheory and Barry's and eats healthy primarily throughout the week in their early 30s. I've hit a plateau regarding physical and strength changes over the last few months. I'm not seeing the same improvements I've typically seen over the previous few years when I started working out a few years ago with these programs. 

What are some things you do to take your fitness goals to the next level, especially when balancing life, or things you would have done earlier that you would pass on to others? Open to any suggestions on food, exercise, habits, stress relief, and even supplements. 

Sometimes plateaus are shattered by taking some time off... 1-2 weeks. If you've been training with HIIT principles for quite some time, perhaps it's time to change that... your body probably has learned and  has adapted comfortably to the physical stimulus. Depending on what your goal is you may need to look at your macronutrient profile to see if you are  under or over, depending on whether you want to lean up or put on some muscle. 
You've already taken the most important step... questioning and reaching out. Personally, I do the exact same thing... I've only been able to improve over time by getting out of my own way. I wish you much success
🤜🏽🤛🏽

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

I'm not seeing the same improvements I've typically seen over the previous few years when I started working out a few years ago with these programs. 

This is hardly a bad thing, it's simply your body communicating to you that it's time to change things up so that your stimulus elicits a response in the form of hypertrophy of muscle fibers.

@Vin_Marco I appreciate the advice, my friend. I was thinking about doing some more strength training and even yoga. I know those sound like two significant contrasts, but yoga will help with slow-twitch muscle groups and flexibility, while weight lifting will help build muscle. 

I even started doing a protein shake as my creamer for my iced black coffee to increase my protein intake over the last two weeks. The main focus for me is losing weight at this point.

1 minute ago, adunn1992 said:

I was thinking about doing some more strength training and even yoga.

I think that's a wonderful idea! Weights is only one facet of my self preservation and most things like yoga provide a counterbalance 😉

3 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

I even started doing a protein shake as my creamer for my iced black coffee to increase my protein intake over the last two weeks.

Brilliant idea! I generally like my coffee black but if I were to use a creamer it would be a non dairy ready to drink protein shake as creamer. There's zero dairy in my daily diet,  only exception(s) is on the rare occasions that I have a "fuck it, just go for it" type of day where maybe a donut 🍩 and cookies 🍪 seem to find me after a PIZZA 🍕 or burger lol 😝 Personally I find it a bit more onerous to get dry, lean, and hard as nails with dairy in my diet. 
I'm not a dietician or a trained nutritionist but losing unwanted body fat and losing weight I know quite a bit about 😉 Always happy to help and give my opinion when asked for it. 

4 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

There's zero dairy in my daily diet,  only exception(s) is on the rare occasions that I have a "fuck it, just go for it" type of day where maybe a donut 🍩 and cookies 🍪 seem to find me after a PIZZA 🍕 or burger lol 😝 Personally I find it a bit more onerous to get dry, lean, and hard as nails with dairy in my diet. 

I'll be honest: I have a soft spot for cheese and dairy in my diet 🤣 that will surely be some extra willpower.  I usually use premier protein shakes as my go-to shakes, so any suggestions for non-dairy protein shakes?  Also been doing collagen peptides in my water at least once a day for overall health.

Ever since my dad got diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic a few years ago it has been a wake-up call to get your butt in the gym and start eating healthier, cause genetics is not on your side. 🤣

First,  congrats on taking the initiative and working out to the degree you do.    Few people are driven when it comes to health and exercise and so I'm always  impressed when I meet people who take it seriously.

So have you had professional training with a trainer and been given a professional evaluation?    My suggestion is that you seek out a trainer with a strong background in dietetics (needn't be a registered dietician, but someone with a background who is also certified as a personal trainer .    You have to be comfortable,  but the point they need to understand you,  your health background and lifestyle and get some prudent evaluation based on you.     Guessing isn't a good idea and may seem frustrating.    I'm all about getting input from 2 trainers with my specific goals,  but let their expertise work for you.    Yes,  it will cost money,   but if you are serious,   gaining a support system like this won't only give you  important information,  but some education on the goalsetting process ahead.    Make it positive and I wish you all the luck in obtaining your goals!

Thanks, @ICTJOCK. I appreciate your feedback and advice. I have thought about getting a trainer; unfortunately, I have a bad taste in my mouth from a trainer I worked with when I first started working out. It was through a franchised gym that I don't go to any longer that was charging me almost $500 a month, not including the gym membership, and it was only one session a week with no nutritional advice.  

Don't get me wrong the trainer did teach me a lot of important fundamentals of working out and I enjoyed them giving me building blocks to push myself, etc.; however, I think next time that I use a trainer, I will go with a trainer outside of a franchised gym to ensure the money I spend is going to their services directly.

Again, I greatly appreciate your feedback.

11 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

I'm sure, @Vin_Marco, you'll get me on the right path, haha. I may have to do some additional trips to the gym a couple of weeks pre-SoCal trip so I can make sure I'm half as good-looking standing next to you at the gym, my friend. :) 

Come as you are kind sir 😉😗

On 9/17/2023 at 2:42 PM, Vin_Marco said:

I think that's a wonderful idea! Weights is only one facet of my self preservation and most things like yoga provide a counterbalance 😉

Brilliant idea! I generally like my coffee black but if I were to use a creamer it would be a non dairy ready to drink protein shake as creamer. There's zero dairy in my daily diet,  only exception(s) is on the rare occasions that I have a "fuck it, just go for it" type of day where maybe a donut 🍩 and cookies 🍪 seem to find me after a PIZZA 🍕 or burger lol 😝 Personally I find it a bit more onerous to get dry, lean, and hard as nails with dairy in my diet. 
I'm not a dietician or a trained nutritionist but losing unwanted body fat and losing weight I know quite a bit about 😉 Always happy to help and give my opinion when asked for it. 

My coach always said absolutely no dairy or sugar.  They were the only forbidden items.

6 hours ago, Rudynate said:

My coach always said absolutely no dairy or sugar.  They were the only forbidden items.

Based upon your postings and our communication, you totally get it 🙌🏽👌🏽, I too follow those guide lines, I was taught years ago that in addition to what your diet  coach says, flour goes out the door too when fat loss and getting riiiiipppped is the goal. I realize that there's more than one way to get there but what I've mentioned above works for me like a charm time and time again. 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

Based upon your postings and our communication, you totally get it 🙌🏽👌🏽, I too follow those guide lines, I was taught years ago that in addition to what your diet  coach says, flour goes out the door too when fat loss and getting riiiiipppped is the goal. I realize that there's more than one way to get there but what I've mentioned above works for me like a charm time and time again. 

Sure - during prep complex carbs are limited to oatmeal and jasmine rice and we do carb cycling.  I know your diet is spot on - you couldn't look the way you do if it wasn't.  I have loads of respect and admiration for you, Danny. 

8 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Sure - during prep complex carbs are limited to oatmeal and jasmine rice and we do carb cycling.  I know your diet is spot on - you couldn't look the way you do if it wasn't.  I have loads of respect and admiration for you, Danny. 

Right back at you stud @Rudynate I am carb cycling as we speak... yesterday was my first "refeed" day in 8 weeks... I hate to call them cheats because they are much needed and I don't call them treats because we're not dogs  lol

( I've been carb cycling for 3 weeks ) and yesterday was heavenly. I'll inbox 📨 you what my 6 meals were yesterday if you like. 
this morning I woke up with full & round muscles with tight tight skin and vascularity that would be a phlebotomists dream cum true 😂

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

Right back at you stud @Rudynate I am carb cycling as we speak... yesterday was my first "refeed" day in 8 weeks... I hate to call them cheats because they are much needed and I don't call them treats because we're not dogs  lol

( I've been carb cycling for 3 weeks ) and yesterday was heavenly. I'll inbox 📨 you what my 6 meals were yesterday if you like. 
this morning I woke up with full & round muscles with tight tight skin and vascularity that would be a phlebotomists dream cum true 😂

No a re-feed isn't a cheat.    A cheat is just that - when your coach tells you "go have a burger and fries tonight." A re-feed is when you increase your carbs  75 or 100 grams for a single day and then you go back to your previous regimen. And the additional carbs are just larger servings of allowed carbs.  Cheats are important - they actually aren't "cheats."  By taking a break every now and then, you are able to go back to your routine and stay on it.  Also, sometimes, before a competition, you need a large infusion of calories to remedy a "flat" look and a burger and fries is just what the doctor ordered.

23 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

Are you prepping for a photo shoot? Yessir, I would like to know what you're eating. The info would be much appreciated.  

On 9/17/2023 at 7:49 PM, adunn1992 said:

Thanks, @ICTJOCK. I appreciate your feedback and advice. I have thought about getting a trainer; unfortunately, I have a bad taste in my mouth from a trainer I worked with when I first started working out. It was through a franchised gym that I don't go to any longer that was charging me almost $500 a month, not including the gym membership, and it was only one session a week with no nutritional advice.  

Don't get me wrong the trainer did teach me a lot of important fundamentals of working out and I enjoyed them giving me building blocks to push myself, etc.; however, I think next time that I use a trainer, I will go with a trainer outside of a franchised gym to ensure the money I spend is going to their services directly.

Again, I greatly appreciate your feedback.

That's what trainers cost.  Mine charges $100.00/session.   You could reduce your outlay by hiring a coach instead of a trainer.  With a coach, there isn't any face-to-face interaction.  Your coach designs your training regimen and your diet and provides accountability.  Coaching might cost you $200 - $300/month. 

20 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

No a re-feed isn't a cheat.    A cheat is just that - when your coach tells you "go have a burger and fries tonight." A re-feed is when you increase your carbs  75 or 100 grams for a single day and then you go back to your previous regimen. And the additional carbs are just larger servings of allowed carbs.  Cheats are important - they actually aren't "cheats."  By taking a break every now and then, you are able to go back to your routine and stay on it.  Also, sometimes, before a competition, you need a large infusion of calories to remedy a "flat" look and a burger and fries is just what the doctor ordered.

You know the drill baby! 💯 

17 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Are you prepping for a photo shoot? Yessir, I would like to know what you're eating. The info would be much appreciated.  

Happy to provide it for you. Let me finish these stairs and I'll inbox you when I get back home 🙂

6 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

You know the drill baby! 💯 

Yep, I love competition.  I would love to jump back in but I'm not sure I'm up to the stress.  I was thinking that a couple photo shoots/year would provide similar motivation without the insane stress of competing. 

On 9/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, adunn1992 said:

So I have to ask this question as someone who has been working out 4-5 days a week with HIIT workouts like Orangetheory and Barry's and eats healthy primarily throughout the week in their early 30s. I've hit a plateau regarding physical and strength changes over the last few months. I'm not seeing the same improvements I've typically seen over the previous few years when I started working out a few years ago with these programs. 

What are some things you do to take your fitness goals to the next level, especially when balancing life, or things you would have done earlier that you would pass on to others? Open to any suggestions on food, exercise, habits, stress relief, and even supplements. 

@adunn1992 you mentioned diet in your post so I though this might be worth mentioning... you don't necessarily have to be a competitive bodybuilder, a model or an "aesthete" to reap the benefits of some form and variation of carb cycling. I've been on a  very strict diet for eight weeks and about three weeks ago,  started my carb cycling. I'll inbox you a photo that I took this morning. To paraphrase Professor Dr. Richard Dawkins, "carb cycling, it works..... BITCHES!!!" 😂 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Yep, I love competition.  I would love to jump back in but I'm not sure I'm up to the stress.  I was thinking that a couple photo shoots/year would provide similar motivation without the insane stress of competing. 

That's an excellent idea, my man! I don't compete in bodybuilding, but for the last 10 years I've taken every single photo shoot as serious as someone who walks on the stage. The whole 9 yards, carbohydrate manipulation, water manipulation, even diuretics. Those photo shoots and target dates were my own personal "bodybuilding competitions". Target dates are wonderful, they can hold you accountable whether you compete that day or not is immaterial and inconsequential because if you've worked your ass off and followed the program and trusted the process 100% you will be the best version you've ever been. 
While my target date is October 18, I don't have a photo shoot planned and I don't know that I will anytime soon ... I'll do everything  I usually do to prepare myself for that day minus the diuretics, I just have no need for that anymore and as you know, it's not the low body fat that gets bodybuilders in trouble on stages,  it's the dehydration. 
On a sidenote, I'm going to Europe for just under a month with a wonderful client and I want to go at my absolute physical best.  I want to go under par ( with respect to very low bodyfat ) so that I can enjoy decadent food in moderation and if I train daily there, I'll come back par  🙂 that's the best you could hope for after almost a month in Europe 😜

Edited by Guest

32 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

That's an excellent idea, my man! I don't compete in bodybuilding, but for the last 10 years I've taken every single photo shoot as serious as someone who walks on the stage. The whole 9 yards, carbohydrate manipulation, water manipulation, even diuretics. Those photo shoots and target dates were my own personal "bodybuilding competitions". Target dates are wonderful, they can hold you accountable whether you compete that day or not is immaterial and inconsequential because if you've worked your ass off and followed the program and trusted the process 100% you will be the best version you've ever been. 
While my target date is October 18, I don't have a photo shoot planned and I don't know that I will anytime soon ... I'll do everything  I usually do to prepare myself for that day minus the diuretics, I just have no need for that anymore and as you know, it's not the low body fat that gets bodybuilders in trouble on stages,  it's the dehydration. 
On a sidenote, I'm going to Europe for just under a month with a wonderful client and I want to go at my absolute physical best.  I want to go under par ( with respect to very low bodyfat ) so that I can enjoy decadent food in moderation and if I train daily there, I'll come back par  🙂 that's the best you could hope for after almost a month in Europe 😜

I have done it once - the prep wasn't as long as for a show - only 8 or 10 weeks.  But we did a peak week just like you would for a show. It was my first time posing for professional photographer so most of the pics were only OK, but my conditioning was spot on, and that was really the point -  to be in stage-ready condition just because.