Only the good (voices) die young... Yoko Ono has turned 90

CuriousByNature

A long time ago, I was a captain for a catering company.  We were hired to cater an event at which Yoko was going to appear.  The crowd turned out to be way larger than expected and the event sponsor hadn't ordered enough food.  So the people were clamoring for food, the event sponsor was trying to get more food without paying any more money and they were all waiting to get a glimpse of Yoko.  Yoko showed up, and everybody was angling to get a look at her.  A guy in the crowd had a heart attack and none of the crowd would move so that we could get through to give the guy some help.  They wouldn't even move when paramedics showed up with a gurney to transport the guy. I have always remembered that event as a lesson in crowd psychology. 

9 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

A long time ago, I was a captain for a catering company.  We were hired to cater an event at which Yoko was going to appear.  The crowd turned out to be way larger than expected and the event sponsor hadn't ordered enough food.  So the people were clamoring for food, the event sponsor was trying to get more food without paying any more money and they were all waiting to get a glimpse of Yoko.  Yoko showed up, and everybody was angling to get a look at her.  A guy in the crowd had a heart attack and none of the crowd would move so that we could get through to give the guy some help.  They wouldn't even move when paramedics showed up with a gurney to transport the guy. I have always remembered that event as a lesson in crowd psychology. 

Don't leave us hanging... did the extra food arrive?

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

The priority was the person who was having a heart attack. I know because I had a heart attack in my 40s.

One would have thought, yes.  But obviously with this crowd not.  Another thing struck me is that, at events like that, they aren't there for the food, so the food doesn't run out.  But this crowd just couldn't get enough to eat. 

Walking On Thin Ice is a great record.

I also quite like the entirety of her Season of Glass album, her album of grief following John's murder.

Kiss Kiss Kiss is my favorite track from Double Fantasy, including the album side of John Lennon's songs.

I love her screaming on early tracks like Why. 

Just because she doesn't have a "pretty" voice doesn't mean she isn't a worthy vocalist. 

On 2/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, WilliamM said:

Yoko still lives here i(NYC) in the Dakota.

It’s reported very recently that she has moved out of the Dakota and gone to live on her farm in upstate NY.

When people in great old age (which I consider to be 84+) decide to uproot themselves from a major city (with all its convenient facilities) to live somewhere rural or isolated, I’m always surprised. I wonder for how long they’ve contemplated the move and whether they’ve thought that their lives will be quite different. From my point of view, I enjoy visiting both the countryside and the beach but I love living in the city…

48 minutes ago, MscleLovr said:

When people in great old age (which I consider to be 84+) decide to uproot themselves from a major city (with all its convenient facilities) to live somewhere rural or isolated, I’m always surprised. I wonder for how long they’ve contemplated the move and whether they’ve thought that their lives will be quite different. 

With the money she has, I'm sure everything she needs can be procured easily no matter where she lives.

2 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

It’s reported very recently that she has moved out of the Dakota and gone to live on her farm in upstate NY.

When people in great old age (which I consider to be 84+) decide to uproot themselves from a major city (with all its convenient facilities) to live somewhere rural or isolated, I’m always surprised. I wonder for how long they’ve contemplated the move and whether they’ve thought that their lives will be quite different. From my point of view, I enjoy visiting both the countryside and the beach but I love living in the city…

Right - I thought most people would make the opposite move so that they can be closer to services and hospitals, etc.  But perhaps this isn't a concern for her yet - or she can afford to have a helicopter come and take her to the hospital if necessary.