Johnson’s in Tampa

PiSquared

I only went to Tampa once on a Sunday as they are only open Thurs thru Sunday and have been to FTL many times.  The patrons in Tampa were much generally younger and there were quite a few more women and maybe even heterosexual couples in the Tampa club than in FTL.  The Tampa music was definitely geared to a younger crowd vibe, as the music including rap and R&B was played often compared to FTL, where many of the older 80-2000s dance music is played.  The dancers for both were nice and defined but the I did not see any real big muscle guys in Tampa compared to FTL.   I did not stay in the Tampa bar late and it is possible that if Tampa big muscle dancers they come late or only on weekends, as often happens in FTL and I only visited Tampa on a Sunday, but I get the feeling that Tampa caters for a much younger crowd.  Tampa has 2 levels and FTL has one level.

Concerning music at Tampa, I meant hip hop not R&B.  Definitely felt like it was for a younger crowd, but then again Tampa may not have many bar choices for younger people as the gay bar strip on Wilton Manors.  And the WM bar does get hetero couples, too but it is by far bar for older gay men.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:52 PM, rojjodc said:

I only went to Tampa once on a Sunday as they are only open Thurs thru Sunday and have been to FTL many times.  The patrons in Tampa were much generally younger and there were quite a few more women and maybe even heterosexual couples in the Tampa club than in FTL.  The Tampa music was definitely geared to a younger crowd vibe, as the music including rap and R&B was played often compared to FTL, where many of the older 80-2000s dance music is played.  The dancers for both were nice and defined but the I did not see any real big muscle guys in Tampa compared to FTL.   I did not stay in the Tampa bar late and it is possible that if Tampa big muscle dancers they come late or only on weekends, as often happens in FTL and I only visited Tampa on a Sunday, but I get the feeling that Tampa caters for a much younger crowd.  Tampa has 2 levels and FTL has one level.

The second level is upstairs. A separate bar. A bed for the boys to "dance" on. And the location of the lap dance rooms. Women are required to have a man with them to gain entrance. Tampa IMO has a greater variety of men. FTL has some of THE hottest Latin Men working the pole and working the crowd 😁

16 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Thanks, Poppie!  Can you describe the variety of dudes in Tampa?  In FTL, is itt mostly hot Latin men and big bodybuilders?  And does Tampa get slimmer, more college athlete types?

having just been there..slimmer more college types. Fort Lauderdale def has more diversity. lot more muscle. I went to Tampa hoping to strike gold I have to say it was lackluster at best. yes lackluster 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lerbut23 said:

Looks like Tampa is doing a ladies night on Tuesday Nov 21.  Listed as private event and  No Male customers Allowed.  

Great!  And let's have the other nights of the week be Gentlemen's night!

Johnson's overall does a great job at enforcing its rule of each female must be accompanied by one male, and no screeching, telling, or woo-hoo.  But having Gentlemen's only night on peak Fridays and Saturdays would be welcome, especially when it's already very crowded with patrons on those nights.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:57 AM, bluedawg said:

For those who've frequented both, how would you characterize the differences between Johnson's Tamp and Johnson's Fort Lauderdale?   Which should I visit?  Thanks!

Tampa has more of the variety FTL originally had while FTL is moving more towards all Boardwalk types, imho. 

On 10/26/2023 at 4:57 PM, bluedawg said:

For those who've frequented both, how would you characterize the differences between Johnson's Tamp and Johnson's Fort Lauderdale?   Which should I visit?  Thanks!

if you’re building a trip around visiting one of those 2 clubs - FTL for the win without question.  
Johnson’s FTL is still great, friendly dancers, excellent mix re; types of guys & safe. It’s also located in a safe area w lots of other nightlife. Two other strip clubs if you tire of Johnsons’s, Club Ft Lauderdale (bathhouse/sauna) which is enormous, busy & clean. Beaches are very close & beautiful.  And several dozen providers working between Ft Lauderdale & Miami if that is of interest. Johnson’s FTL open 6 nights of the week vs 4 nights Tampa. I’ve found some of the guys at FTL will make appointments to see clients off-site and not super complicated because most of them live in S Florida vs being flown in for a weekend in Tampa. These guys don’t advertise anywhere so it’s an in-person only contact situation & takes some extra effort.  There’s just more potential money for dancers in FTL, so it’s always going to be better. 

Tampa is just not that interesting & doesn’t have the same options.  Not even close.  I wonder how they get the dancers to go to Tampa ? - it can’t be for the tips. 

I used to go to Johnson’s FTL because I was in town for other reasons.  it may be disappointing if the expectations are high & you’re traveling for that reason only. 
 A lot of teasing, maybe a feel & a taste in a very short period of time.  There’s no privacy in either club.  Manage your expectations- there’s no actual sex on-site.  

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

On 10/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, bluedawg said:

In FTL, is itt mostly hot Latin men and big bodybuilders?

Johnson’s FTL has something for everyone & I don’t think any one body type or ethnicity dominates.  It’s smart because customers have different preferences, so they make sure a wide range of types are performing.

There are a few bodybuilder types, but that’s definitely not a majority of the guys.  There are a lot of Latinos at Johnson’s FTL because there are alot of Latinos in Ft Lauderdale & Miami.  
They typically only allow 3-4 dancers on the stage at any given time and those guys perform for maybe ten minutes, then the next group comes.  Some of the dancers arrive early/leave early, some arrive late & stay till closing…and a few are there opening to closing time.  Stay long enough and your type will come along - probably several ;) The dancers overall very friendly & move around the room when off-stage chatting with customers.  I’ve never experienced pressure to tip or anything aggressive.

There’s also a side bar area of Johnson’s FTL that opens earlier than main room.  

I like the midweek nights the best - crowded enough to feel busy, but not so packed that you can’t move.  Lots of dancers every night.  Always a good time when going with the expectation of no actual sex.  It’s really a fun crowd and great to go with like minded friends.  Friday & Saturday nights are super packed. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

• 2 weeks later...

After a long absence from Johnson's Tampa, I spent last Friday night being very entertained! Went early to meet up with a fav dancer. Nate was behind the bar looking REALLY good. Clearly he's been hitting the gym. Great service from this sexy man. Eros (Argentinian Stud), great smile, shredded, a bit hairy .. one of my favs from FLL was there. He is in the Tampa area now. Another dancer was seen... used to, maybe still does work at LeBoy. He has beefed up. Longish curly dark hair. Sorry, don't know his name. Very diverse group of dancers. Something for everyone. Hit the lap dance room 5 times and had a blast. Sat with Matt for a bit and enjoyed a cocktail with him. Off to Wilton Manors this weekend for more Johnson's and a bit of LeBoy too.

18 minutes ago, rojjodc said:

Well Johnsons FTL is planning a New Years eve party for $65 in advance and $75 at the door, and also charging $20 for food between 6 pm and 8 pm.  And the Tampa is $60 in advance and $70 at the door.  Don't seem worth it to me... 

If I was in Florida that weekend, I would gladly pay those prices for Johnson's. Based on how over-crowded the Ft Lauderdale location is on every Friday and Saturday, I've always thought they should raise the cover charge on those nights.  New Year's Eve makes even more sense to do so.

1 hour ago, rojjodc said:

Well Johnsons FTL is planning a New Years eve party for $65 in advance and $75 at the door, and also charging $20 for food between 6 pm and 8 pm.  And the Tampa is $60 in advance and $70 at the door.  Don't seem worth it to me... 

If you compare Johnsons' prices to other NYE celebrations, they're not that bad.  Places charge insane amounts because they know plenty of people are willing to fork it over.  If you saw what some cheese-fests are charging here in Las Vegas, you'd blanch.

I don't know what time the dancers start on Wednesdays, but I was just talking to one of the dancers tonight about how Wednesdays are going. He said it's really slow at this point, but this week they had quite a few customers show up late. Thursdays are slow too, but that can be a good thing for the customers who are there. I walked in tonight & got my first drink, stood at one of the tables looking at the stage. One of the dancers recognized me & motioned me to the stage but I just shook my head & raised my glass. I wanted to enjoy my drink for a few minutes. Then he & another dancer that I'm familiar with both turned their backs to me, pulled down their underwear & bent over. Of course I walked up & started tipping! Sometimes it's fun to have a reputation! I got undivided attention from several of the dancers during my 2 hours there. They were very playful & eager to... um... earn tips.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:36 AM, jeezopete said:

He said it's really slow at this point, but this week they had quite a few customers show up late. Thursdays are slow too, but that can be a good thing for the customers who are there.

I really can’t believe they opened Johnson’s in Tampa & I don’t see how it can be viable there.
 Johnson’s FTL works because of the large affluent retired gay community in close proximity to the club - Tampa doesn’t have that.  Also, Johnson’s FTL draws customers from a much bigger metropolitan area including W Palm & Miami - the club is about equal distance from those two cities - Johnson’s FTL doesn’t have similar positioning.  And the overall gay community in S Florida is huge with Johnson’s FTL is located in the epicenter.  Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater gay community is much smaller. 

Plus, the dancers all have to be incentivized to go to Tampa given they won’t make the money as they do in FTL.  None of them will want to live in Tampa - it’s not comparable to living in S Florida in any way. 

6 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

I really can’t believe they opened Johnson’s in Tampa & I don’t see how it can be viable there.
 Johnson’s FTL works because of the large affluent retired gay community in close proximity to the club - Tampa doesn’t have that.  Also, Johnson’s FTL draws customers from a much bigger metropolitan area including W Palm & Miami - the club is about equal distance from those two cities - Johnson’s FTL doesn’t have similar positioning.  And the overall gay community in S Florida is huge with Johnson’s FTL is located in the epicenter.  Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater gay community is much smaller. 

Plus, the dancers all have to be incentivized to go to Tampa given they won’t make the money as they do in FTL.  None of them will want to live in Tampa - it’s not comparable to living in S Florida in any way. 

As I noticed on my one visit there, the Tampa had a younger crowd and more mixed (heterosexual) crowd than FTL.  So I guess if they can continue to draw that type of crowd, they may survive - at least for a while.  And since many dancers are hetero, I am not sure they would object to performing at the Tampa location at least once - although they may find out that women may not tip as good as gay men...Tampa's three hours from FTL, so some may like a quick weekend getaway once in a while.