Johnson’s in Tampa

PiSquared

40 minutes ago, rojjodc said:

As I noticed on my one visit there, the Tampa had a younger crowd and more mixed (heterosexual) crowd than FTL. 

that makes sense given the different demographics of the two cities.  
the typical crowd at Johnson’s FTL is many regulars that spend a lot (older guys) and a steady influx of gay tourists visiting FTL.  It’s busy every night they are open. FTL has been Floridas gay destination for decades.  The other two clubs in FTL aren’t really completion for Johnson’s imo.

Johnson’s Tampa will have to survive more as a novelty because the gay money is just not there.  I’d bet that there is some investor that backed the Tampa club - the owner in FTL is way too smart to put his own money there.

Johsnons FTL is like a never ending ATM.  Johnsons Tampa is like someone bleeding out. 

9 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

I really can’t believe they opened Johnson’s in Tampa & I don’t see how it can be viable there.
 Johnson’s FTL works because of the large affluent retired gay community in close proximity to the club - Tampa doesn’t have that.  Also, Johnson’s FTL draws customers from a much bigger metropolitan area including W Palm & Miami - the club is about equal distance from those two cities - Johnson’s FTL doesn’t have similar positioning.  And the overall gay community in S Florida is huge with Johnson’s FTL is located in the epicenter.  Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater gay community is much smaller. 

Plus, the dancers all have to be incentivized to go to Tampa given they won’t make the money as they do in FTL.  None of them will want to live in Tampa - it’s not comparable to living in S Florida in any way. 

But how much cheaper is the rent and overhead in Tampa?  It's not about how much money you bring in.  It's about how much money you keep after expenses. 😊

2 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

that makes sense given the different demographics of the two cities.  
the typical crowd at Johnson’s FTL is many regulars that spend a lot (older guys) and a steady influx of gay tourists visiting FTL.  It’s busy every night they are open. FTL has been Floridas gay destination for decades.  The other two clubs in FTL aren’t really completion for Johnson’s imo.

Johnson’s Tampa will have to survive more as a novelty because the gay money is just not there.  I’d bet that there is some investor that backed the Tampa club - the owner in FTL is way too smart to put his own money there.

Johsnons FTL is like a never ending ATM.  Johnsons Tampa is like someone bleeding out. 

I'm guessing he put his money there.  Yes, the Wilton Manors location is probably a gold mine.  He was fortunate to get that location in the heart of Wilton Manors as his previous location in Pompano Beach did not survive.  But the Pompano location was so nice!  And I believe he had locations in Dallas and Atlanta but they did not last either.  What the saying...try and ty again and you will succeed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, rojjodc said:

I'm guessing he put his money there.  Yes, the Wilton Manors location is probably a gold mine.  He was fortunate to get that location in the heart of Wilton Manors as his previous location in Pompano Beach did not survive.  But the Pompano location was so nice!  And I believe he had locations in Dallas and Atlanta but they did not last either.  What the saying...try and ty again and you will succeed?

I don't believe he ever opened the locations in Atlanta and Dallas.  I think he began the process of opening in Dallas but things fell through.  As for Atlanta, there were discussions and posts about a location there but nothing definitive materialized.  I sure hope he does something in Atlanta, that market should be able to sustain it.  Not so sure about Dallas being viable given the View didn't last long and everything except the Tin Room has closed.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be in Tampa in a few weeks.  If so, I definitely want to check out Johnson's.  Is nearby parking available?  Is it in a safe part of town? Also, any recommendations for hotels in the area?  Thanks!

^^^^they have valet parking which is your best bet if you’re concerned.  I regularly park on the street and have had no issues with the neighborhood.    Holiday Inn on South Dale Mabry is a new  hotel in good location.  Roughly 2000 block of Dale Mabry - don’t book on Dale Mabry if hotel is 4000-5000 block there are some that look nice on the internet but are not places you would choose to stay IMO.  Otherwise to  be safe pick something near the airport or downtown and you can’t go wrong.

On 1/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, lerbut23 said:

^^^^they have valet parking which is your best bet if you’re concerned.  I regularly park on the street and have had no issues with the neighborhood.    Holiday Inn on South Dale Mabry is a new  hotel in good location.  Roughly 2000 block of Dale Mabry - don’t book on Dale Mabry if hotel is 4000-5000 block there are some that look nice on the internet but are not places you would choose to stay IMO.  Otherwise to  be safe pick something near the airport or downtown and you can’t go wrong.

13 hours ago, Poppie said:

I've stayed at the Barrymore in downtown. Quick Lyft ride to Johsons.

6 hours ago, Devon said:

Try the Marriott Westshore or in that area.  It’s a quick Uber ride and easy to airport. I just went last week and stayed there.  

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

The VIP bar upstairs now has a TV showing the main stage from the Ft. Lauderdale club. It's right next to the TV that shows the main stage that's downstairs in the Tampa club.

I hadn't noticed the new screen showing the Ft. Lauderdale club until another customer pointed to it and said, "Look, that guy sitting in front of the stage is on his phone looking at Grindr." Sure enough, the camera angle showed at least 2 customers scrolling through Grindr on their phones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if a dance that goes by the pseudo name 'Michael Shaw' is dancing there regularly now?  He posted it on his social media that he danced there this early Feb. but I don't think I am allowed to post his social media on this site, but he is on the BestFlex website.  

1 hour ago, rojjodc said:

Does anyone know if a dance that goes by the pseudo name 'Michael Shaw' is dancing there regularly now?  He posted it on his social media that he danced there this early Feb. but I don't think I am allowed to post his social media on this site, but he is on the BestFlex website.  

Yes not sure of name he dancers under but I recognize him and he has been there very recently.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, rojjodc said:

I’ve been chatting Michael up on Insta and if we’re lucky, he’ll be coming to headline AdonisLA one of these summer months!

I’ve not made it to Johnson’s Tampa yet but Michael is one of the reasons I’m salivating to make the trip! 

I forget are pics allowed on this board?

His instagram shows him dancing in Tampa but the Best Flex site says he's available to meet in Miami Beach.  Bit I suspect he is based in the Tampa area. Does this mean that he is a regular at Tampa?  I turned a meeting down but would like to inspect him in person...