THE 2023 BASEBALL SEASON

samhexum

On 9/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, Becket said:

Well, except that Sherzer is gone for the year. We might squeak into the playoffs, but am not expecting much after that.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:02 PM, Becket said:

How 'bout them Rangers! Orioles will be tough, though.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:20 PM, samhexum said:

GEE!  @Becket is as good a prognosticator about Texas as @BuffaloKyle is about St Louis!

It was exactly a month ago today that Max Scherzer’s season seemed to be over, when Rangers GM Chris Young told reporters that Scherzer was “unlikely” to be part of any postseason play due to a teres major strain.  However, Scherzer almost immediately started some level of light baseball activity, and has steadily ramped up his work to the point that he now looks to be on the verge of joining the Rangers for the start of the AL Championship Series.

Scherzer threw a 68-pitch simulated game on Wednesday, and told reporters (including Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News) today that he threw another bullpen session and participated in fielding drills.  With all of this regular workload complete, Scherzer feels “I’ve pressed all the buttons I can.  I’m ready to go….I feel normal.  That’s all I can say.  All I can do is describe what I feel like and if I have an issue, I have to let them know.  But my arm feels fresher.”

The final verdict won’t come until Sunday when the Rangers officially submit their ALCS roster in advance of Game 1 against the Astros.  But, all signs point to Scherzer being in the mix, making for quite a boost for the Rangers in getting a future Hall-of-Famer added to the pitching staff.  Jordan Montgomery is the announced Game 1 starter, Nathan Eovaldi will very likely start Game 2, and Grant figures any of Scherzer, Andrew Heaney, or Dane Dunning could start Game 3.

It stands to reason that Scherzer might be face a relatively quick hook if he does start, to keep him from overtaxing his arm.  In that scenario, Scherzer could be part of a piggyback situation with Heaney, Dunning, or possibly Martin Perez Jon Gray is another possible X-factor for the series, as the righty has been working his way back from forearm tightness and could also be included on the ALCS roster.  The pitching plans will likely also hinge on how things play out for Texas in the first two games of the series, so the official Game 3 starter might not be known until after Game 2 is over on Monday.

7 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Aaron Nola is expected to sign with the Cardinals 

Link? I couldn't find anything really story wise on that. All I found actually is they are gonna be in on trying to bring Jordan Montgomery back. With the way he is pitching though in the playoffs he is gonna command some big bucks. The Cardinals have barely any starters under contract for next season so they'll be in on everyone.

2 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Link? I couldn't find anything really story wise on that. All I found actually is they are gonna be in on trying to bring Jordan Montgomery back. With the way he is pitching though in the playoffs he is gonna command some big bucks. The Cardinals have barely any starters

The Cards have more WS victories  than any National League team.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, Becket said:

Well, except that Sherzer is gone for the year. We might squeak into the playoffs, but am not expecting much after that.

Thank God he's back, right?

On 10/7/2023 at 3:56 PM, WilliamM said:

Gman will be St St Louis 's third  baseman next season

The current  third baseman will be traded to 

A team that wants a(n adorable) hack who isn't even a finalist for a gold glove to be their third baseman.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, samhexum said:

It was exactly a month ago today that Max Scherzer’s season seemed to be over, when Rangers GM Chris Young told reporters that Scherzer was “unlikely” to be part of any postseason play due to a teres major strain.  However, Scherzer almost immediately started some level of light baseball activity, and has steadily ramped up his work to the point that he now looks to be on the verge of joining the Rangers for the start of the AL Championship Series....

Four paragraphs copied without attribution from:

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/rangers_ace_ready_to_go_for_alcs_roster/s1_13237_39387865

I'm rooting for the Rangers & the Phillies. I think it's great seeing Texas have success so quickly with Bochy leaving retirement to lead this squad. I also as a Padres fan cannot stand the Diamondbacks, and find it rather offensive on the part of teams continuing to lose to them when essentially half their line-up are call-ups after the all-star break, jettisoning many long time tenured players. Major league level players should be better than even the best minor league guys.

Lord have mercy! The Texas Rangers are in the WORLD SERIES! What a weird AL Championship. The road team won all seven games. But my Rangers came through. Amazing! It's always fun when Dallas has a leg up on Houston on anything. I read somewhere that by the year 2100 the three biggest cities in the US will no longer be NY, LA, and Chicago; but Dallas, Houston, and Austin. Interesting, but unimportant at the moment. I really am at a loss for words. So come on Rangers! 

21 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Texas/Philly would seem to be a great matchup. I can't believe Arizona has pushed it to a game 7. Texas would be a huge favorite over Arizona but I don't know who would win if they play Philly.

Will Pfaadt be Pfaabulous?  Will Ranger be in danger?

Who cares?  The NBA season is starting tomorrow!

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

12 hours ago, WilliamM said:

The Phillies fans are the worst. And I live in Philly 

I'll second that. I mean, everyone from row two on back standing up in the third inning with 1 out? Sit the ---- down, people! Reason to never go to a game in person unless you're in the front row a safe distance from that damn mascot.

12 hours ago, WilliamM said:

The Phillies fans are the worst. And I live in Philly 

Yeah, but the cheesesteaks balance it all out.

41 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

I'll second that. I mean, everyone from row two on back standing up in the third inning with 1 out? Sit the ---- down, people! Reason to never go to a game in person unless you're in the front row a safe distance from that damn mascot.

If only you were lucky enough to attend games with fans who CAN'T stand up.  Wouldn't that be great?  Maybe you can contact the team and suggest they have such a game once a week.

Sorry... being disabled can make me cranky about asinine complaints.

Series tied 1-1. Next three in Phoenix. Both teams play well on the road, so I expect we'll be back in Texas next week for game 6. They both play really exciting baseball, and it's nice IMHO to have some teams other than the usual Yankees/RedSox/Cardinals/Dodgers repeat. Flyover country rejoices. 

Good news! Rangers up 3-1. One more to go. Please God, just one more win!  Bad news. Best player A. Garcia is out for the rest of the series. Sherzer is probably out as well, though that may not be a bad thing. He has only been a shell of his former self. (But aren't we all. LOL) Baseball is crazy. Arizona may well win the next three. They're really good. O well. Cross my fingers, toes, tongue, and nose.