THE 2023 BASEBALL SEASON

samhexum

Ashley Crow is an American actress. She is best known for her role of Sandra Bennet on the television show Heroes, and her son has been called up by the Cubs

Lindsay Frost was an actress who had a successful Hollywood career, including roles in various dramas, such as "As the World Turns" and "L.A. Law", and her son's being a part of their rotation has not helped the Chisox, Angels, or Guardians make the postseason.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:45 PM, Becket said:

Well, except that Sherzer is gone for the year. We might squeak into the playoffs, but am not expecting much after that.

I saw you guys have 7 games left against Seattle and you're up 5-1 in the season series so if you can keep that up you'll be in. You'll for sure have the tiebreaker too on them.

Since Sep. 16, the Cubs have held a lead in 7 different innings on the road in 8th or later. They blew the lead in the bottom half in all 7. No other MLB team in the modern era has blown the lead in more than 5 straight road innings in 8th or later in which they held a lead.

Brian Cashman is vindicated!  Frankie Montas gets the win as they secure their 31st straight winning season, one short of Le Canadiens for the 2nd longest streak in North American sports.  Just 8 more to catch the 1926-1964 Yanks!

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

Mom of Nathaniel and Josh Lowe has cancer, won't attend series

No relation to injured Tampa 2B Brandon Lowe, who pronounces his name like the late hitting coach Charlie Lau's last name.

The mother of Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Josh Lowe and Texas Rangers first baseman Nathaniel Lowe will not make the trip to Tropicana Field for this week's AL wild-card series featuring her sons because she is battling cancer and undergoing chemotherapy.

Younger brother Josh said he called his mother, Wendy, on Monday to ask if she would mind him discussing her situation publicly in advance of the start of the best-of-three matchup that begins Tuesday.

"She's actually battling cancer, so she's going through chemo right now. She won't be able to make it, but I asked her if it was OK if I said something, and she said yes because the more people that know, the more prayers that could be had for her," the 25-year-old outfielder said.

The Lowe brothers, who both began their pro careers in the Tampa Bay minor league system, first shared a major league field together when the Rays and Rangers met at Tropicana Field in June. The Rangers acquired Nathaniel, 28, in a December 2020 trade, while Josh was still making his way through the minor leagues.

Wendy and husband Dave attended that series, and Wendy wore a custom, split baseball jersey -- one half a white Rays uniform, the other in Rangers blue, with "Lowe" written across the back.

Well, except that Sherzer is gone for the year. We might squeak into the playoffs, but am not expecting much after that.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:14 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

What a weekend can do @Becket! You were worried about squeaking in but suddenly since you swept Seattle and Houston got swept you're back in the driver's seat for a division title and a first round bye.

On 10/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Well you ended up just squeaking in after all. Can't believe Houston managed to win the division!

The Rangers have been without Max Scherzer since mid-September, but the three-time Cy Young winner hasn’t given up hope of pitching in the postseason. Indeed, he seems to be progressing well toward that goal.

His teammates did their part on Wednesday afternoon, beating the Rays to win the AL Wild Card Series and advance to the ALDS. Scherzer, meanwhile, pitched another bullpen session (according to Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News), ramping up the intensity with which he threw. The veteran described the session as “pain-free” and seemed excited about his progress, calling out in triumph as he made his way back to the clubhouse. While he’ll have to wait to see how his body reacts in the coming days, that sounds like promising news.

As the Rangers celebrated their first postseason series victory in over a decade, Scherzer had his trademarked look of (dual-colored) determination in his eyes (per Tyler Kepner of The Athletic). “Based on today, I’m turning a corner, I see a path,” the future Hall of Famer said. “You never know.” Based on those comments, it doesn’t sound like his return is fast approaching – he remains doubtful for the ALDS – but the deeper the Rangers play into October, the more likely it is that Scherzer can get back on the mound.

I think the Rangers starting staff is in decent shape even without Scherzer & Gray. Especially now that Eovaldi pitched really good today. They have him, Montgomery, Dunning & I'm guessing Heaney would be their 4th starter but Martin Perez has pitched really good in bulk relief since he got moved to the bullpen. I wonder if the best play would be to go with an opener and then have Perez pitch in bulk. You could go with a Heaney/Perez game 4 as well.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:02 PM, Becket said:

How 'bout them Rangers! Orioles will be tough, though.

46 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

They were tough all right!

raw

GEE!  @Becket is as good a prognosticator about Texas as @BuffaloKyle is about St Louis!

2 hours ago, Becket said:

DALLAS vs houston for the AL Pennant. Can't wait! I'm sure Houston Astros will win because they are the better team and lil ol Texas Rangers really aren't good enough.   😉 😉   Hope my streak of picking it WRONG continues........

DALLAS vs houston for the AL Pennant

How boring.