THE 2023 BASEBALL SEASON

samhexum

4 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

My boys in Blue!

WWW.ESPN.COM

Shohei Ohtani will sign with the Dodgers, with his agent saying the two-way star is getting a 10-year, $700 million contract.

Wow, $70 million a year! And there's no guarantee of what kind of pitcher he'll be too after tommy john. That's insane money. Way more than I thought after the injury. I actually would rather take that $70 million a year and go after Soto next offseason and an ace pitcher and you could get both for that $70 million.

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

Shohei Ohtani will sign with the Dodgers, with his agent saying the two-way star is getting a 10-year, $700 million contract.

53 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Wow, $70 million a year! And there's no guarantee of what kind of pitcher he'll be too after tommy john. That's insane money. 

Supposedly most of it deferred until he retires so they can stay closer to the tax threshold & go after more players.

I'm just glad he's out of the AL & didn't go to Toronto.

1 hour ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Wow, $70 million a year! And there's no guarantee of what kind of pitcher he'll be too after tommy john. That's insane money. Way more than I thought after the injury. I actually would rather take that $70 million a year and go after Soto next offseason and an ace pitcher and you could get both for that $70 million.

25 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Supposedly most of it deferred until he retires so they can stay closer to the tax threshold & go after more players.

I'm just glad he's out of the AL & didn't go to Toronto.

There are no guarantees when a player signs with another team.  Hope he got to play in the World Series.

15 hours ago, samhexum said:

They still need to spend on their rotation big time for instance. They had the worst starting pitching ERA in franchise history I believe last year.

The Braves' GM apparently has a bonus clause in his contract for making the most trades in the off-season.

December

DATE TRANSACTION
December 9, 2023 Acquired a player to be named later or cash from Chicago White Sox for C Max Stassi.
December 8, 2023 Acquired INF David Fletcher and C Max Stassi from Los Angeles Angels for INF Evan White and LHP Tyler Thomas.
December 7, 2023 Agreed to terms with LHP Angel Perdomo on a one-year contract. Sent INF Evan White outright to Gwinnett (IL).
December 5, 2023 Acquired a player to be named later or cash considerations from Pittsburgh Pirates for LHP Marco Gonzales and cash considerations.
December 3, 2023 Acquired LHP Marco Gonzales, OF Jarred Kelenic, INF Evan White and cash considerations from Seattle in exchange for RHP Jackson Kowar and minor-league RHP Cole Phillips.

November

DATE TRANSACTION
November 30, 2023 Agreed to terms with RHPs Jackson Stephens and Penn Murfee on one-year contracts.
November 20, 2023 Agreed to terms with RHP Reynaldo Lopez on a three-year contract.
November 17, 2023 Failed to offer 2024 contracts to RHPs Yonny Chirinos, Penn Murfee, Michael Tonkin, LHP Angel Perdomo, C Chadwick Tromp and INF Lucas Williams.
November 16, 2023 Acquired LHP Aaron Bummer from Chicago White Sox for RHPs Mike Soroka, Riley Gowens, LHP Jared Shuster, INFs Nicky Lopez and Braden Shewmake.
November 14, 2023 Designated RHP Yonny Chirinos for assignment. Claimed RHP Penn Murfee off waivers from the New York Mets.
November 6, 2023 Claimed LHP Angel Perdomo off waivers from Pittsburgh.

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

The Braves' GM apparently has a bonus clause in his contract for making the most trades in the off-season.

December

DATE TRANSACTION
December 9, 2023 Acquired a player to be named later or cash from Chicago White Sox for C Max Stassi.
December 8, 2023 Acquired INF David Fletcher and C Max Stassi from Los Angeles Angels for INF Evan White and LHP Tyler Thomas.
December 7, 2023 Agreed to terms with LHP Angel Perdomo on a one-year contract. Sent INF Evan White outright to Gwinnett (IL).
December 5, 2023 Acquired a player to be named later or cash considerations from Pittsburgh Pirates for LHP Marco Gonzales and cash considerations.
December 3, 2023 Acquired LHP Marco Gonzales, OF Jarred Kelenic, INF Evan White and cash considerations from Seattle in exchange for RHP Jackson Kowar and minor-league RHP Cole Phillips.

November

DATE TRANSACTION
November 30, 2023 Agreed to terms with RHPs Jackson Stephens and Penn Murfee on one-year contracts.
November 20, 2023 Agreed to terms with RHP Reynaldo Lopez on a three-year contract.
November 17, 2023 Failed to offer 2024 contracts to RHPs Yonny Chirinos, Penn Murfee, Michael Tonkin, LHP Angel Perdomo, C Chadwick Tromp and INF Lucas Williams.
November 16, 2023 Acquired LHP Aaron Bummer from Chicago White Sox for RHPs Mike Soroka, Riley Gowens, LHP Jared Shuster, INFs Nicky Lopez and Braden Shewmake.
November 14, 2023 Designated RHP Yonny Chirinos for assignment. Claimed RHP Penn Murfee off waivers from the New York Mets.
November 6, 2023 Claimed LHP Angel Perdomo off waivers from Pittsburgh.

Big freaking deal.

Respectfully. Perhaps we should wait until the beginning of July to start judging 

• 2 weeks later...

a day after signing Lucas Giolito...

Chris Sale will head to Atlanta in exchange for infield prospect Vaughn Grissom, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports.  The Sox will also include $17MM in the deal to cover a big portion of Sale’s $27.5MM salary for the 2024 season, as per the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier.  Sale had a full no-trade clause that he has waived to facilitate the move.

• 3 weeks later...