THE 2023 BASEBALL SEASON

samhexum

I wonder how historically bad the A's are gonna finish. They are currently 10-45. They have a -199 run differential already and it's not even the end of May. I looked up the worst one:

The worst run differential was by the 1899 Cleveland Spiders at -723 (529 runs scored, 1252 runs allowed).

On 5/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

The NL worst Cardinals have not had a losing record this century yet but at 10-22 looking like that streak will end.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:40 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Well since I posted that they have turned it around. Still well under .500 but in that weak division they can make up ground easily.

YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP MAKING EARLY SEASON PREDICTIONS ABOUT THE CARDINALS!

For the 2nd time in 2 years, a child of a former Red Sox star has done something bad. 

Last year Dennis Eckersley's daughter abandoned her newborn daughter in the woods, although she called 911 and led the cops to her in time. She has mental issues.

Now the son of the late George Scott has killed his 8 year old son and himself.  The boy's mother has been missing for 4 years and Scott is considered a POI.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, samhexum said:

I thought Texas' signings of Seager and Semien were dumb and dumber last year, but they have now reached dumbest status...  5 YEARS!  $185 million for DeGrom.  Great pitcher, but how healthy will he be during that contract?

And, of course, there's an option for a 6th year at the same salary.

Well, I may have been wrong about Seager & Semien, but not DeGrom.

On 12/3/2022 at 8:46 PM, samhexum said:

The conditional option comes into play if deGrom undergoes a Tommy John surgery or any sort of right elbow/shoulder injury during the 2023-26 seasons that keeps him on the injured list for 130 consecutive days during any season, or 186 days in a row during any service period, according to The Associated Press

The 2028 conditional option is worth at least $20MM, but that number jumps to $30MM if deGrom pitches at least 625 innings during the life of the contract or finishes in the top five in Cy Young voting.  Should he pitch at least 725 innings and record at least three top-five Cy Young finishes, the option will be worth $37MM.  If deGrom doesn’t meet these specifications in 2023-26, the option can still be worth $37MM in 2028 if he pitches 160+ innings in 2027, has a top-five Cy Young voting finish, and is judged by an independent doctor to be healthy heading into 2028.

The deal includes a full no-trade clause.

Well, I guess the conditional option has come into play.

Michael Kay had it his way with the rare Burger-King matchup when the Yankees took on the White Sox on Thursday afternoon.

During the first leg of the teams’ doubleheader, White Sox slugger Jake Burger came up to the plate to face Yankees pitcher Michael King in the top of the seventh inning.

By the third pitch of the at-bat, Kay realized what type of shenanigans were unfolding in front of him.

“Check the bug up there — Burger against King,” Kay said. “Burger King.”

And then the quips started coming.

“Well, King wants to have it his way right now.”

After Burger grounded out to third base, Kay slipped in, “That was a whopper of an out that King got.”

Yankees radio broadcaster John Sterling was hit by a foul ball from Justin Turner in the ninth inning of New York's 3-1 win over the Boston Red Sox on Saturday night and continued his commentary.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! It really hit me, I didn't know it was coming back that far," Sterling said on the air.

Seconds later, he added: "So once again, it'll be a 3-2."

Sterling, 84, returned to the booth Tuesday after missing 23 games. He came down with bronchitis after missing two games to attend the college graduation of his triplets.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:18 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

I wonder how historically bad the A's are gonna finish.

11 hours ago, samhexum said:

Careful what you say about the team that's tied with Arizona for the longest active win streak.

BREAK UP THE A'S!!!

With Arizona's loss tonight, the A's have baseball's longest win streak-- all over teams with winning records.  2 vs Pitt, 3 vs Milw, 2 vs Tampa.

They have also edged past KC by a couple of percentage points in W-L pct.

Considering that this is the 6th year of KC's rebuild, and that the A's ARE historically bad, Royals fans must be thrilled.

One of MLB's most injury-prone players is hurt again...

Mitch 'The Stitch' Hanniger has a fractured forearm after being hit by a pitch when he checked his swing.

Haniger has had plenty of injury concerns over his career, including some fluke issues that have kept him out for extended runs. A 2019 testicular rupture sustained when he fouled a ball off himself ended up necessitating multiple core surgeries that cost him all of 2020. He returned for a full season in 2021 but missed a large chunk of last year with a high ankle sprain in his right leg.

The Giants rolled the dice on Haniger’s power upside despite his injury history. San Francisco inked him to a three-year, $43.5MM free agent guarantee with a post-2024 opt-out clause. The first season of the deal hasn’t gone as planned. Haniger opened the year on the IL after suffering a Spring Training oblique strain. He returned in late April but started slowly, hitting .230/.281/.372 over 160 trips to the plate with his new club.

On 5/29/2023 at 1:14 AM, samhexum said:

YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP MAKING EARLY SEASON PREDICTIONS ABOUT THE CARDINALS!

I'm declaring the Cardinals dead for sure this time! 🐦

They have the worst record in the NL again at 27-42. Their division is weak but with the fact you don't play inside your division as much they're screwed. Both the AL & NL centrals are horrible this year! A whopping 7 out of the 10 teams in the other two AL divisions are better record wise than the AL central leading Twins!

On 6/7/2023 at 5:54 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Nothing much more to add than wow! That's incredible.

Fx-s7fXXwAAIdpN.jpg

After he shockingly went hitless in 3 straight games recently, it looked like the quest for .400 was over.  However, he had his second 5-5 game out of his last 3 tonight, his third in 17 days, and is now at exactly .400 again.

He's gone 5-5 thrice and 4-5 twice.  That's 23-25 in his 5 best games.  That'll do.

2 minutes ago, samhexum said:

After he shockingly went hitless in 3 straight games recently, it looked like the quest for .400 was over.  However, he had his second 5-5 game out of his last 3 tonight, his third in 17 days, and is now at exactly .400 again.

He's gone 5-5 thrice and 4-5 twice.  That's 23-25 in his 5 best games.  That'll do.

Yeah the last two times he dipped into the .370's he had some monster games to rebound back to .400!

On 6/15/2023 at 1:09 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Both the AL & NL centrals are horrible this year! A whopping 7 out of the 10 teams in the other two AL divisions are better record wise than the AL central leading Twins!

The Twinkies lead the AL Central at 36-37.  The Red Sox are in last place in the East at 38-35, the same record the NL Central-leading Reds(!) have after a 9 game winning streak..

Journeyman Chase Anderson "earned" himself a place in baseball history on Saturday.

For the second time in his career he served up homers on 3 consecutive pitches.  

The first time it happened (in 2020 versus the Yanks) he gave up 5 homers in that one inning.

99 PITCH PERFECT GAME FOR DOMINGO GERMAN!!!

does it count even though it was against the A's?

On 5/28/2023 at 10:18 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

I wonder how historically bad the A's are gonna finish.

YES Network’s Meredith Marakovits asked German in an on-field interview what was it about his stuff that allowed him to be perfect — not allowing a hit or walk on just 99 pitches.

“Unfortunately, two days ago an uncle of mine passed away and I cried a lot yesterday in the clubhouse,” German said through an interpreter. “I had him with me throughout the whole game. I was thinking about him and it happened.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 4 weeks later...

Right-hander Domingo Tapia was designated for assignment today by the Padres.

The Brewers announced the selection of Sal Frelick’s contract.  Raimel Tapia was designated for assignment in the corresponding move.

They're unrelated, AFAIK, but BAD day for the Tapias of the world!

Mr. Met.gif

By the end of the 4th inning tonight, everyone in Washington's lineup had a hit and a run scored.

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ing reason at all!

They might as well and try to get in as a wild card. The Rays have completely fallen apart and their rotation is a mess. I don't trust Baltimore's starting pitching one bit. Toronto always finds a way to miss the playoffs. The Yankees have great pitching but even when Judge comes back can't hit even if the ball was on a tee. And no one is scared of the AL Central even if you made an all star team out of all the teams in that division. Very interested to see what Texas & Houston does at the trading deadline. Whichever of those teams solidifies their rotation the best should win the division. So it's not like they don't have a shot. Just get in.

15 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

They might as well and try to get in as a wild card. 

Shohei must be happy.  He threw a one hit shutout against Detroit today for his 1st career CG. He went 0-5 in that game, but has hit his major league leading 37th in the 2nd game, which us still in the third inning, so he'll probably get to 40 by the 7th inning stretch.

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell