Tony Dow Dead at 77- Wally Cleaver (SEE Correction!)

Lucky

Every episode of Leave It To Beaver that I watched as a boy should have told me that I was gay! I really liked Wally Cleaver and watched every show. But back then it wasn't to be...gays just didn't yet exist in my universe. I feel with Dow's death that part of my youth is gone, as if it wasn't already.

Edited by Lucky

CORRECTION! Reports are that Tony Dow is not, in fact, dead:

From wire services:

Actor, director and artist Tony Dow, who is well known for playing Wally Cleaver on the 1950s sitcom “Leave It to Beaver,” is near death but remains alive and breathing, his wife Lauren Dow told CBS on Tuesday.

The actor’s managers erroneously reported his death Tuesday morning on Facebook. The post was later removed, and Lauren Dow confirmed that her husband remains in hospice care.

Dow’s son Christopher told Fox News Digital that the actor is under hospice care and “in his last hours.”

Dow, 77, has been suffering from cancer.

Actors Tony Dow , left, who played Wally Cleaver and Jerry Mathers, who played Beaver Cleaver in "Leave It to Beaver," attend A Mother's Day Salute to TV Moms at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences on May 6, 2008, in North Hollywood. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images) Actors Tony Dow , left, who played Wally Cleaver and Jerry Mathers, who played Beaver Cleaver in “Leave It to Beaver,” attend A Mother’s Day Salute to TV Moms at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences on May 6, 2008, in North Hollywood. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images)

CORRECTION: This article originally reported that Tony Dow had died on Tuesday. It was based on wire reports of a Facebook post from Dow’s managers that was later removed after Dow’s wife told CBS that the actor is ill but remains alive.

Edited by Lucky
premature

• + Lucky changed the title to Tony Dow Dead at 77- Wally Cleaver (SEE Correction!)
2 hours ago, Lucky said:

Every episode of Leave It To Beaver that I watched as a boy should have told me that I was gay! I really liked Wally Cleaver and watched every show. But back then it wasn't to be...gays just didn't yet exist in my universe. I feel with Dow's death that part of my youth is gone, as if it wasn't already.

I felt the same way when Ricky Nelson died in 1985. Interestingly, the two stars look somewhat similar, especially the hair. I even remember when I was where I learned that Ricky had died in a plane crash. It was a headline in a newspaper in the lobby of a hotel in Acapulco, where I was on vacation with my bf.

Edited by Luv2play

10 hours ago, Lucky said:

Can't be too hard on the NY Times here.

Yeah, you can’t expect them to actually check their sources, right?

Oh wait….I forgot…..they’re supposed to be a newspaper….yes….yes, you can.

16 hours ago, Luv2play said:

The Times has now withdrawn the obituary.

No shit. 

“Integrity, my friend, is the shield to greed and vanity.” -Camino Del Rio

It was obviously a mistake for the Times not to have checked the reports of Dow's death on social media. I would have thought that the department that is responsible for running obituaries has procedures in place to verify actual deaths before publishing an obit. 

It is a different matter for the newspaper to report a death as a news item. That can be easily corrected and such corrections appear almost daily in any major newspaper that claims to be a reliable source of news. I can't even recall the last time an obituary was recalled. Definitely embarrassing.

When Owen Wister, the famous American novelist of the late 19th/early 20th century, was on a trip out West, somehow a report started that he had died. He was on a camping trip and didn't find out about it for some time, but all the newspapers in the East picked up the false report and published obituaries. His wife even got on a train to head west to recover his body. It took days for the mistake to be discovered and corrected, and he said he sometimes shocked people long afterwards, who exclaimed, "But I thought you were dead!" He often quoted his friend Mark Twain's famous comment.

Most newspapers have prepared obituaries in their files for noted persons of a certain age, and someone at the NYT probably jumped the gun to get theirs out first.

41 minutes ago, Charlie said:

When Owen Wister, the famous American novelist of the late 19th/early 20th century, was on a trip out W

Most newspapers have prepared obituaries in their files for noted persons of a certain age, and someone at the NYT probably jumped the gun to get theirs out first.

The New York Times always checks with a family member or a very close friend. This was a major exception.