Key Lime Pie

aeikaryoko

Every time I have a slice of Key lime pie, it is so good that I think,"this should be my favorite pie."   But it isn't.  I love pie, not sure what my fave is.  If it has a crust and comes in a pie plate - I'm all in.  My husband and I have to refrain from making pies because between us we devour en entire pie in a day,

• 2 weeks later...

This is the key lime pie recipe I perfected a few years ago. I had a key lime tree in my yard and it was a very heavy producer. This pie might be too strong for some people, so if you want to reduce the key lime juice to maybe 3/4 cup, I think it should be just fine. This custard will fill the pie shell to the top. I found that you need to get your ice bowl ready when you start cooking as you will need to cool the mixture fast to keep the yolks from cooking.  You will love this recipe as this is a tart/sweet one. 

Key Lime Pie

1 cup Key Lime juice

2 – 14oz cans of sweetened condensed milk

5 egg yolks, well beaten

1 tsp unflavored gelatin

2  Tbs cold water

1 Graham Cracker Pie Shell

Sprinkle gelatin and stir into cold water in a small glass, set aside. Combine lime juice and egg yolks in a small heavy saucepan, cook over medium low heat; 10 minutes or until slightly thick and hot (180 degrees) stirring constantly (do not boil, that will cook eggs) Add softened gelatin to mixture; cook one minute stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and place pan in a large ice filled bowl, stir mixture until it reaches room temperature, be careful to not let it get cool enough to set. Now pour mixture into a large bowl with the condensed milk and mix with a mixer for a few minutes until well blended. Pour mixture into Graham Cracker Pie Shell, place in freezer for one hour then move to refrigerator, should be ready to eat in about 3 hours.

@cougar, I've read that key limes are difficult to find outside the areas where they're grown because they bruise easily (the rind is much thinner than that of  Persian limes).  Certainly I've never seen key limes in a Las Vegas supermarket.  I've also read that there is a big difference in flavor between key limes and the more common Persian variety.  Is that true?  If so, what's the difference?

I've never had decent Key Lime Pie outside of South Florida.  I'm sure it exists somewhere but I've never found it.  You must have key limes to make it or it won't be as good as it should be.  I lived in Miami during most of the 1990's so I had ample opportunity to enjoy excellent Key Lime Pie.  Joe's Sone Crab was my favorite.  We still order the KLP from Joe's.  It ships overnight via Fedex and is packed in dry ice.  So good.  

13 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

I've never had decent Key Lime Pie outside of South Florida.  I'm sure it exists somewhere but I've never found it.  You must have key limes to make it or it won't be as good as it should be.  I lived in Miami during most of the 1990's so I had ample opportunity to enjoy excellent Key Lime Pie.  Joe's Sone Crab was my favorite.  We still order the KLP from Joe's.  It ships overnight via Fedex and is packed in dry ice.  So good.  

Joe's! My fave. I miss that place. Went there religiously as a kid during winter break 🤤

20 hours ago, BSR said:

@cougar, I've read that key limes are difficult to find outside the areas where they're grown because they bruise easily (the rind is much thinner than that of  Persian limes).  Certainly I've never seen key limes in a Las Vegas supermarket.  I've also read that there is a big difference in flavor between key limes and the more common Persian variety.  Is that true?  If so, what's the difference?

I know there are several varieties, I currently have a tree in my yard that is about 7 years old, and I hate it! The tree is more of a bush, and it is a cross with a cumquat and a key lime and have yet to get a decent tasting key lime from it. The nursery owner told me when I bought it that I would never know it was a cross pollinated tree, she was wrong. The variety that I need to plant in my yard is the Mexican Key Lime tree that is a regular tree. I need to get one soon as they are usually just available in summer months. Once I get the new key lime tree this other one is coming out!

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, aeikaryoko said:

Anyone here fan of Key Lime Pie?  This is an outstanding recipe. I’ve made it numerous times and have gotten tons of compliments on how good it is. 

https://preppykitchen.com/key-lime-pie/

335F0337-636D-4711-8569-2FEB8715706E.jpeg

Looks great.  You can never go wrong with a John Kanell recipe.  The only recipe of his that I found to be just mediocre was his double-chocolate chip cookies.  Everything else has been excellent.  

On 6/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, aeikaryoko said:

Anyone here fan of Key Lime Pie?  This is an outstanding recipe. I’ve made it numerous times and have gotten tons of compliments on how good it is. 

https://preppykitchen.com/key-lime-pie/

335F0337-636D-4711-8569-2FEB8715706E.jpeg

We had a key lime tree in the backyard where I grew up in Miami. Made key lime pies all the time. This looks delicious.  To eat and to wear…. 😉😂🥧

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, keroscenefire said:

OOh I like using biscoff cookies. I think that would make a flavorful crust. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:45 PM, KeepItReal said:

I am a fan of Biscoff cookie crust

On 1/18/2023 at 5:03 PM, handiacefailure said:

I love Biscoff cookies

I was just at Costco last week, and they had boxes (4 sleeves in each box) on sale.  Love them.

• 1 month later...

Costco makes a good one. My favorite was an easy recipe on a Florida postcard I picked up at Walmart many many decades ago. Easy as pie and no eggs or baking either! Unfortunately I lost the postcard. But the secret to any good Key Lime Pie is to use REAL key limes! The juice from other limes is just not the same. And a good quality condensed milk is esencial and that they only just vary in price and where they come from but no, they are not the same and we taste it in the results.  

Edited by Danny-Darko