Monkey Pox & Massages

Guest untakenalias

On 8/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, NYMassageAddict said:

Has anyone explored the potential of using latex gloves during massage? I wonder how a spa would react if I brought surgical gloves for the masseur to use. Or if any private masseurs are using them. I know it’s tough because a lot of the massage may include forearms rubbing but I might feel more confident if I knew a spa had handed them out. 

I cannot imagine getting a massage from a professional masseur wearing latex gloves. I can’t imagine it would be in any way pleasant or relaxing. Just a waste of money IMO. I’d actually be surprised if any masseur or spa would offer “massage with latex gloves”. 

If you’re looking for a sports or therapeutic massage, (and not a massage with MT, HE, etc.), stick with the well known professional spas. I’d be more inclined to believe the spa’s claims of masseurs being vaccinated vs an independent masseur/provider. 

If you’re still feeling unsure, dubious about trusting any claims made about being vaccinated,  just put this hobby on pause until you are vaccinated. 

BBD 

I had a client book and then change his mind because of concerns over the pox. I’m vaccinated but he was still too anxious to go ahead, so he cancelled. If he was going to be too anxious that’s fair enough, he wouldn’t enjoy it fully, but it’s a shame he feels like that. 

My view is that there’s always a good reason not to do something. Sometimes though we put things off until a better time but the better time never comes. My instinct is to say yes first and then think rationally about why not. Be careful, but not to the extent that you don’t experience life because of the perceived risks. The right time is always now because tomorrow might never come…..Except of course if you’re booking a massage because I encourage people to book ahead to ensure availability! 

On 6/19/2022 at 7:11 AM, Jamie21 said:

I sometimes have a monkey massage my clients (only when they are laying prone and can’t see what I’m doing). My monkey does their back etc while I catch up with the paperwork and put some washing on. He’s very good, no one notices the difference. I’ve trained him not to bite my clients’ nuts (although some clients were quite partial to that 😳). 

Unfortunately now I’ll have to lay him off. If anyone has work for a massage trained monkey please let me know. 

Seriously though… this condition is just another thing to be mindful of when giving or receiving massage. If you’ve any skin conditions or any contra indications for massage then don’t have a massage, or give one! Get yourself checked regularly at the clinic, be body aware about what to look for, use good masseurs who follow proper hygiene protocols. Avoid those who subcontract their work to monkeys…🙊

Couldn’t agree more. The masseuse has the best view of his client. Better than a dermatologist. So if he sees a rash he can call it. I’ve been tempted to do a skin check on providers. But my current one is a nurse and his skin is flawless. 

• 2 weeks later...

California has now added Monkeypox Vax on the online portal that was initially set up for covid Vax. It's a bit cumbersome,  it still says on the initial page it's for covid vaccine,  but once you click on Make an Appointment it leads you to a questionnaire that includes Jynneos 

https://myturn.ca.gov/

Edited by Tactile Daddy
Incorrect link

8 hours ago, Tactile Daddy said:

California has now added Monkeypox Vax on the online portal that was initially set up for covid Vax. 

"My Turn - Screening Questions" https://myturn.ca.gov/screening?config=349068b9-3c50-4911-84cf-d6b6bdaf95a4

Link isn’t working and when I tired to sign up it said there wasn’t an appointment available within 200 miles. 

Still though that’s a good sign and I’m hopeful that they’ll get their shit together. 

11 minutes ago, Bluefin said:

Link isn’t working and when I tired to sign up it said there wasn’t an appointment available within 200 miles. 

Still though that’s a good sign and I’m hopeful that they’ll get their shit together. 

I corrected the link to the correct url 

I tried it. The verbiage has not been changed. It still says Covid Vaccine appointment on the initial page,  but once you click on it it takes you to a questionnaire that includes Jynneos vaccine appointments. 

I tried using by area code and it listed three clinics that were accepting appointments close to my North Hollywood zip code. I didn't try to make an appointment as I've already been fully vaccinated. Try it again? 

4 minutes ago, Tactile Daddy said:

I corrected the link to the correct url 

I tried it. The verbiage has not been changed. It still says Covid Vaccine appointment on the initial page,  but once you click on it it takes you to a questionnaire that includes Jynneos vaccine appointments. 

I tried using by area code and it listed three clinics that were accepting appointments close to my North Hollywood zip code. I didn't try to make an appointment as I've already been fully vaccinated. Try it again? 

Thanks. I did all that before. Selected MPX, entered address etc. could be they aren’t offering appointments near me yet. 

10 minutes ago, Bluefin said:

Thanks. I did all that before. Selected MPX, entered address etc. could be they aren’t offering appointments near me yet. 

I keep reading that additional supplies are coming soon. So perhaps soon for you too. 

I am assuming you're not close to a large city,  because I've had friends as recently as last week get vaccinated same day here in LA area,  and San Diego 

1 hour ago, Tactile Daddy said:

I keep reading that additional supplies are coming soon. So perhaps soon for you too. 

I am assuming you're not close to a large city,  because I've had friends as recently as last week get vaccinated same day here in LA area,  and San Diego 

San Francisco! 

26 minutes ago, Bluefin said:

San Francisco! 

Wow.  I guess the demand is really high 

"San Francisco to receive 8,000 more doses of monkeypox vaccine - CBS San Francisco" https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/san-francisco-to-receive-8000-more-doses-of-monkeypox-vaccine/#app

"Monkeypox vaccine access expands to North, East Bays with Sunday clinic events | abc7news.com" https://abc7news.com/amp/monkeypox-vaccine-access-bay-area-novato-oakland/12151223/

In NYC we can't get 2nd doses. They won't even hint when we can.

My question is how long to wait before getting another massage?  At 4 weeks after first dose I should be about 85% protected. If there was some clue when 2nd doses would be available I'd be happy to wait, but at this point there's no finish line in sight.

Fortunately between behavior modification and vaccines cases are dropping in NYC.

e89630f4-aa0d-422c-80a5-63e9eb5c11b3.jpg

10 hours ago, Mustang said:

In NYC we can't get 2nd doses. They won't even hint when we can.

My question is how long to wait before getting another massage?  At 4 weeks after first dose I should be about 85% protected. If there was some clue when 2nd doses would be available I'd be happy to wait, but at this point there's no finish line in sight.

Fortunately between behavior modification and vaccines cases are dropping in NYC.

e89630f4-aa0d-422c-80a5-63e9eb5c11b3.jpg

Do you believe we will be safe for a massage if the masseur is monkeypox vaccinated?  I've been very selective lately and asking if the masseur is vaccinated for monkeypox.  It's not like COVID where we will get it by breathing in the air.  Masseurs should take a close look at their client's body when naked to alleviate any concern.  This is not something that can be hidden.  I believe it's very important for the masseur to be vaxed since he gets a lot more exposure than me.

9 hours ago, Redwine56 said:

Masseurs should take a close look at their client's body when naked to alleviate any concern.  This is not something that can be hidden.  I believe it's very important for the masseur to be vaxed since he gets a lot more exposure than me.

I agree that having both people vax'ed would be ideal. However this whole forum is testament that practitioners are not always honest. I'm [partially] vax'ed and I trust that. I trust some guy going under a false name, who only accepts cash, and I probably never see again much much less.

Second your solution turns every 24 year old masseurs into a virologist/dermatologist. This week alone I had a large mosquito bite, an ingrown hair, and a small circular scrape. You really want a masseur to evaluate what's what in a dimly lit room? Initial lesions are few and flat and can be in the mouth or anus where the masseur can't see. Putting the onus on the masseur to determine what's acne or other benign skin conditions vs MPX seems irresponsible and provides a false sense of security. Not to mention they are no where near qualified to do so.

I remember suddenly losing half my friends to AIDS. I survived because I had been lucky before we understood how the virus spread and I completely stopped fucking for years... It was terrifying and a life-changing loss for all of us survivors. Remember body electric and those j/o parties the health department used to run in SF? A lot of us cultivated an appreciation for massage as a response to the HIV epidemic. Touch without penetration or exchange of fluids was safe sex. Monkey pox is replaying the trauma for me. I miss my weekly massages. I just had an appointment and couldn't stop worrying about who the therapist had touched before me...  I had to ask him to leave. This feels like 1987 all over again.  Hard stop for me until I'm fully vaccinated. 😢

50 minutes ago, ruminant said:

I remember suddenly losing half my friends to AIDS. I survived because I had been lucky before we understood how the virus spread and I completely stopped fucking for years... It was terrifying and a life-changing loss for all of us survivors. Remember body electric and those j/o parties the health department used to run in SF? A lot of us cultivated an appreciation for massage as a response to the HIV epidemic. Touch without penetration or exchange of fluids was safe sex. Monkey pox is replaying the trauma for me. I miss my weekly massages. I just had an appointment and couldn't stop worrying about who the therapist had touched before me...  I had to ask him to leave. This feels like 1987 all over again.  Hard stop for me until I'm fully vaccinated. 😢

I understand that you feel that way. I grew into manhood during a time when HIV/AIDS was a death sentence. But monkeypox is not the same thing. Not even close. Try to take a deep breath and don't let your emotions overrule your logic.

I'm not going to get vaxxed for covid nor for monkeypox. If I need the cash then I'll just lie. 

My clientele aren't the promiscuous, bathhouse, Sniffies.com type so I'll just take my chances like I did with covid. 

I wonder if I can catch monkeypox from all these newly vaccinated men and their viral loads, no pun intended. I'll let ya guys know!

On 7/30/2022 at 6:46 AM, BaronArtz said:

If someone has been vaccinated, could he still be a carrier and possibly transmit monkeypox?

My favorite masseur has been vaccinated - I believe him.  I am not, but I am trying to get vaccinated.  Am I taking a risk by getting a massage from him until I am vaccinated?  We get fairly playful during our sessions.

Thank you for the advice!

Yes, people have received that full monkeypox vaccine and still caught it and still developed those lesions/bumps/whatever they are, and can still infect others. 

6 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

I'm not going to get vaxxed for covid nor for monkeypox. If I need the cash then I'll just lie. 

My clientele aren't the promiscuous, bathhouse, Sniffies.com type so I'll just take my chances like I did with covid. 

I wonder if I can catch monkeypox from all these newly vaccinated men and their viral loads, no pun intended. I'll let ya guys know!

Or you could just do something fucking else entirely and not lie to people.  XXXXXXX