San Francisco Safety

jtwalker

On 5/27/2022 at 8:35 PM, Unicorn said:

I agree that the Tenderloin is dangerous. I'd go so far as to say it's the most dangerous place I think I've ever been. I would avoid that neighborhood day or night. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger, Danger!

image.png.795443aedb23e8c3d33287d745216dc9.png

Yet another clue you have never been to Sarajevo, let alone Vietnam

My last time in San Francisco was 2018.  I try to walk and take mass transit wherenever I travel.  Never again in San Francisco.  The metro/subway stations there turn into defacto homeless shelters after the rush hour, with little room to walk on the platforms between the sleeping bodies and their encampments.  I stepped over so many needles in the sidewalks crossing the street.

Never again.  San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland will not get my tourist dollars again until they get cleanup up.  They make New York City look like a  sterilized nursery by comparison.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, jtwalker said:

Headed to San Francisco soon and I'm curious about safety.  Some of the news makes it look like a third-world country.  Anyone with first-hand experience?  I don't trust the news.

you seem to trust the news if you're asking on here.

Yes, there are homeless in San Francisco just like there are other issues related to poverty in all states blue or red. Unfortunately crime in big cities gets more attention than other bigger generational issues in the "God fearing" parts of the country.

Just keep your iPhone to yourself and look at your surroundings before using it to avoid it being grabbed. Also put your wallet in your front pocket just like it's recommended to do in Europe. Common sense! 

San Francisco, as well as California, has become a convenient punching bag for the media, and it's becoming really annoying. It has its urban problems, like most big cities, and it suffered badly during the covid lockdowns, like most big cities. And yet it attracts a disproportionate amount of scorn from the media, which often has a different bone to pick and uses SF to illustrate whatever point it wants to make.

So cranky rant aside, I'm glad the OP has thought to ask, rather than just rely on what the media reports. Yes there are indeed homeless, but I've never had a problem with them and I've lived here 25 years. The Tenderloin is gritty and depressing, but also has those cool things that the rosy summary @azdr0710 cited. Great American is one of my favorite places to see shows. But also add 6th Street between Market and Howard to the list, that place is grim and is classic skid row. I used to live a half-block away from there, and though I never had any safety problems, it was a bit much to take in.

Things got quiet and miserable during the covid lockdowns, but now the city's neighborhoods have bounced back. The Castro is vibrant, and the "parklets" (sidewalk dining) that were introduced during covid have mostly remained so there are a lot of people out and about. There are still too many vacant storefonts in the Castro, but that predates the pandemic and doesn't take away from things. 

Recently I've been to a couple of restaurants on Union Street and in the Marina, and while I have tended to not considered those areas my scene, I was impressed how vibrant the areas are and how much fun it was. SF is a city of neighborhoods, but unfortunately so many of the hotels are located downtown so not everyone gets to experience that. A friend just visited and stayed at Parker Guest House, near Dolores Park, and had a great time. We went to a cafe next to Duboce Park, ate at my favorite breakfast place in Dogpatch, and had fun dancing at a club on 11th Street. 

I've lived here since 1998, and had been coming to the City for years before that. It has indeed changed, and I still think my favorite time here was the 90s. But I was younger then, and like any dynamic city things keep changing. There are things I miss from years gone by, but other cool new things appear as well. I'll admit I'm biased and like it here despite its flaws.

2 minutes ago, nate_sf said:

San Francisco, as well as California, has become a convenient punching bag for the media, and it's becoming really annoying. It has its urban problems, like most big cities, and it suffered badly during the covid lockdowns, like most big cities. And yet it attracts a disproportionate amount of scorn from the media, which often has a different bone to pick and uses SF to illustrate whatever point it wants to make.

So cranky rant aside, I'm glad the OP has thought to ask, rather than just rely on what the media reports. Yes there are indeed homeless, but I've never had a problem with them and I've lived here 25 years. The Tenderloin is gritty and depressing, but also has those cool things that the rosy summary @azdr0710 cited. Great American is one of my favorite places to see shows. But also add 6th Street between Market and Howard to the list, that place is grim and is classic skid row. I used to live a half-block away from there, and though I never had any safety problems, it was a bit much to take in.

Things got quiet and miserable during the covid lockdowns, but now the city's neighborhoods have bounced back. The Castro is vibrant, and the "parklets" (sidewalk dining) that were introduced during covid have mostly remained so there are a lot of people out and about. There are still too many vacant storefonts in the Castro, but that predates the pandemic and doesn't take away from things. 

Recently I've been to a couple of restaurants on Union Street and in the Marina, and while I have tended to not considered those areas my scene, I was impressed how vibrant the areas are and how much fun it was. SF is a city of neighborhoods, but unfortunately so many of the hotels are located downtown so not everyone gets to experience that. A friend just visited and stayed at Parker Guest House, near Dolores Park, and had a great time. We went to a cafe next to Duboce Park, ate at my favorite breakfast place in Dogpatch, and had fun dancing at a club on 11th Street. 

I've lived here since 1998, and had been coming to the City for years before that. It has indeed changed, and I still think my favorite time here was the 90s. But I was younger then, and like any dynamic city things keep changing. There are things I miss from years gone by, but other cool new things appear as well. I'll admit I'm biased and like it here despite its flaws.

i was in oakland a few months ago and it was funny how my friends there warned me that my old neighborhood has become full of homeless, motorcycle gands, pot smokers, prayer circles, etc, etc.

actually, they were just wrong. my old turf was vibrant and full of energy.

when i was in SF sure the people i like to think of as living on the edge were definitely out on the streets but where else are they supposed to go? was their presence unwelcome? sure - but there were only menacing to my sense of "how could this be happening here?", not to my personal safety.

there are some areas that have not gone the way of NYC-gentrification, sure - but i am not certain that is a 100% bad thing.

Those of us who were raised or have lived, for some time, in large U.S. urban centers have, through experience, learned that there are parts of our cities that we need to avoid.  That is true of all major U.S. metropolitan areas including places like Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and San Francisco to name just a few.  The problem for San Francisco is that the areas of the city to avoid have, over the last ten plus years, continued to grow to the point of including almost the entire city.  One sure sign of the decline of San Francisco is that many of the organizations that used to hold conventions in the city no longer do so - conventioneers no longer feel safe. This is a real tragedy as there are few cities in the world that have an equal or more beautify location.  When all is said and done even this Southern Californian will readily admit that the city of San Francisco built as it is on the hills over looking the bay is drop dead gorgeous. I just wish that somehow, someway if could clean up it streets and parks and repair much of its deteriorating infer structure

On 5/27/2022 at 1:46 PM, jtwalker said:

Headed to San Francisco soon and I'm curious about safety.  Some of the news makes it look like a third-world country.  Anyone with first-hand experience?  I don't trust the news.

jaywalker, since your impending visit to my favorite city is apparently your first-- I'd encourage you take one or more organized (and relatively inexpensive) tours on the early days of your visit.  That way you'd get a view of the various neighborhoods, some details, and specific highlights of this dynamic city that is losing its luster.

Since the pandemic, I have only gone once a month to SF to get my haircut and to meet my favorite "go-to-guy."  Other than the preceding-- I've not enjoyed "The-City-by-the-Bay" as I'd desired.  I do hope to go during this particular summer and beyond to partake in its culture and people.

In terms of tours, etc., check out https://TripAdvisor.com as well as https://gaycities.com  There are other salient websites, but my memory is in a fog on this Sunday late morning on the Monterey Peninsula.

Edited by Axiom2001

2 hours ago, nate_sf said:

I moved here in 1990 - and it was an interesting time - the AIDS epidemic was raging and effective antivirals were still several years out, but there was a general view that life had to go on, so it was a very lively place in spite of the epidemic.

2 hours ago, nate_sf said:

Putting on my Moderator hat now... there can definitely be a partisan bias to the news coverage. I’ll admit I danced around that in my post too. But let's keep this on topic, which is safety and whether it's worth visiting SF, and avoid veering into politics. Lots of great replies here!

ccimage-shutterstock_412496293.jpg

9757953_CHINATOWN-1-IMG.jpg?w=1600

San-Francisco-Cable-Car-740x555.png

san-francisco-attractions.jpg

and if @jtwalker has time Muir woods!

Btw how old are you? are you WHP? Plenty of walks to do in San Francisco, maybe not for your average American. 

10xp-tree4-superJumbo.jpg

03.jpg

Edited by marylander1940

9 minutes ago, HornyLatinBi said:

Pleasssse add Point Reyes to your suggestins!

reyes.jpeg

On the way there Point Bonita lighthouse 

pt.bonita2.jpg?itok=c0wp3j1P

point-bonita-lighthouse.jpg

From Baker Beach to across the Golden Gate (Marin headlands) you have plenty of bunkers from late XIX century to WW2. Does the OP @jtwalker like to walk?  

Bunkers-San-Francisco-Presidio-aerial-ph

7f3d5f573f5e5658df9e429b741d4d07.jpg

Edited by marylander1940

16 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

googling "tenderloin san francisco" brings up this rosy summary seemingly written by the area Chamber of Commerce!:

The famously gritty Tenderloin has underground art spaces, classic concert venues such as the Great American Music Hall and historic theaters staging Broadway and indie shows. Its funky, colorful streets feature a mix of upscale, trendy and casual restaurants. Nightlife ranges from dark dives slinging beer and shots to speakeasy-style bars mixing craft cocktails. Little Saigon is known for its Vietnamese eateries. ― Google

A tale of two cities??

In fact, the reason I asked here is that I don’t trust the news.  I’d rather hear from real people that live there.  When I first learned of the trip, I was excited.  

I may take a tour, that was a great idea.  Other than that, I’ll probably avoid the city as much as I can.  With Tenderloin 1/2 a Mike from Union Station, I’m afraid I’ll get carjacked for turning down the wrong road.

I usually disagree with the news, but the consensus here seems to be that it is not great.  That is a shame.

Pre-pandemic, the Powell BART stop area had a very helpful tourist info desk with real people. It was sorta down below street level. City transport tickets, cable car tickets, general info available. They may have tour bus info, too, if they're allowed to hawk private companies. This area is very touristy, so don't be worried here. 

As @Epigonosstated, San Francisco is really an unparalleled city. I was in love with it in the 80’s particularly. Living in coastal OC for many years, SF was my civilized retreat. I also loved Big Sur, the wine country, and the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts. I had a scary walk through the Tenderloin one night after a dinner party. I was a bit tipsy, wearing a chalk-striped suit, but I got to the other side unscathed. When I visited briefly last June, I was appalled at its decline. I think some of the problems are intractable. Interesting that the much maligned (by classic San Franciscans like the late Herb Caen) “El Lay” is now perhaps the better city. 

San Diego is now my favorite large California city.

3 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

One may rent a car in San Francisco for many reasons, such as driving to Big Sur, or or over the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Exactly, I'm staying in San Jose and want to visit some coastal areas.  It's a business trip, so time is a little limited, but I like to see the sites when I travel.

2 hours ago, Pensant said:

As @Epigonosstated, San Francisco is really an unparalleled city. I was in love with it in the 80’s particularly. Living in coastal OC for many years, SF was my civilized retreat. I also loved Big Sur, the wine country, and the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts. I had a scary walk through the Tenderloin one night after a dinner party. I was a bit tipsy, wearing a chalk-striped suit, but I got to the other side unscathed. When I visited briefly last June, I was appalled at its decline. I think some of the problems are intractable. Interesting that the much maligned (by classic San Franciscans like the late Herb Caen) “El Lay” is now perhaps the better city. 

San Diego is now my favorite large California city.

Actually, your favorite California city has a larger homeless population than San Francisco.   In SF, it is more concentrated and, thus more visible because SF is such a compact city.  

San Francisco lost more population during the lockdown than any other US city - more than 6%.  It never fails, though.  People who leave the city during an economic downturn either return or are replaced by others when the downturn passes.  It's no different this time.   That 6%+ is going to be hard to replace, though.    Housing has just continued to become more expensive.   Rents are increasing steadily and may soon reach pre-pandemic levels.   I have a rental unit that I was renting pre-pandemic for $3700.00, which become vacant during the lockdown.    In order to fill it, I had to drop the rent to $2800.00.  I could rent it now for nearly what I was getting pre-pandemic.  

3 hours ago, jtwalker said:

Exactly, I'm staying in San Jose and want to visit some coastal areas.  It's a business trip, so time is a little limited, but I like to see the sites when I travel.

Ah, well if that's the case, no need to go anywhere near the Tenderloin. If you make it up to SF, just go to the Castro and maybe some of the other neighborhoods. They are all fine. And from SJ, take I-280 rather than US 101, as the scenery along 280 is wonderful. There is also a cruisy vista point if that appeals.

If you're in SJ, Santa Cruz is just over the hill (though it's a lot of twists and turns up Hwy 17). Or check out the gorgeous redwoods along Skyline Blvd (Hwy 35) in the coastal range in San Mateo County. The San Mateo County coast along Hwy 1 is also nice, particularly if time is limited and you can't make it to somewhere like Big Sur or Point Reyes. Also my favorite nude beach is on the San Mateo coast, near San Gregorio if that appeals and time permits.

21 minutes ago, nate_sf said:

Ah, well if that's the case, no need to go anywhere near the Tenderloin. If you make it up to SF, just go to the Castro and maybe some of the other neighborhoods. They are all fine. And from SJ, take I-280 rather than US 101, as the scenery along 280 is wonderful. There is also a cruisy vista point if that appeals.

If you're in SJ, Santa Cruz is just over the hill (though it's a lot of twists and turns up Hwy 17). Or check out the gorgeous redwoods along Skyline Blvd (Hwy 35) in the coastal range in San Mateo County. The San Mateo County coast along Hwy 1 is also nice, particularly if time is limited and you can't make it to somewhere like Big Sur or Point Reyes. Also my favorite nude beach is on the San Mateo coast, near San Gregorio if that appeals and time permits.

Thank you very much.  I appreciate the great suggestions and this sounds perfect.