San Francisco Safety

jtwalker

7 hours ago, jtwalker said:

Exactly, I'm staying in San Jose and want to visit some coastal areas.  It's a business trip, so time is a little limited, but I like to see the sites when I travel.

The Monterey Peninsula (Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, and the small connecting cities welcome you!

@jtwalker  since you're in San Jose, head south instead of north in a car for sightseeing.....Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and all that......not that I'm a 'fraidy cat with city driving, but it just may not be worth the stress, traffic, parking fee, unfamiliarity to drive into the city (plus it's 50 miles from San Jose)......take BART or the train into the city, then walk or take a bus/cable car to see the primary city sights.....just my thought......

6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

@jtwalker  since you're in San Jose, head south instead of north in a car for sightseeing.....Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and all that......not that I'm a 'fraidy cat with city driving, but it just may not be worth the stress, traffic, parking fee, unfamiliarity to drive into the city (plus it's 50 miles from San Jose)......take BART or the train into the city, then walk or take a bus/cable car to see the primary city sights.....just my thought......

Respectfully, I drive to Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur from San Francisco without any problems. And I live in Philadelphia, and before that near Boston.

The narrator calls the Tenderloin the most dangerous place he's ever visited. 

Edited by Unicorn

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 4:00 PM, Lucky said:

The worst thing about San Francisco is the fog and wind. The homeless usually stick to themselves unless panhandling.

The first time I visited SF it was a foggy night when I arrived in early August 1979. I was enchanted with the fog horns on the ships. Most of the ensuing week was sunny and cool. Really lovely. I still have pictures of that vacation.

In late April I witnessed a hit and run killing of an innocent woman on a scooter in the Tenderloin. She was dragged underneath a large black SUV for half a block until the car paused, ran over her again, and then sped off into the night. The woman died.

Since then I have been haunted by the horror of this....the sadness of a life gone and her family/friends having to hear that she was killed on a Sunday evening by a callous driver....and the shock that someone could be so uncaring as to drive away. I think this person will never be brought to justice, and the thought of that sickens me.

Edited by Topseed

33 minutes ago, Topseed said:

In late April I witnessed a hit and run killing of an innocent woman on a scooter in the Tenderloin....  I think this person will never be brought to justice, and the thought of that sickens me.

Well, that small area is the murder capital of SF, but did you consider taking down the license plate number of the vehicle which paused, backed up, and ran over her a 2nd time?? 🤫

I have been in San Francisco since Friday. Have seen quite a number of homeless and signs of neglect, but have not felt unsafe at any time. Mainly using BART to get around - have seen more homeless/panhandling on NYC subway and platforms than here in San Fransisco. I don’t want to travel through SFO without TSA pre-check though - the lines appear to be very long, getting through security checks.  Glad to be back in San Fran; I’ve missed this place - may get a touristy tshirt to celebrate!! 😊

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Well, that small area is the murder capital of SF, but did you consider taking down the license plate number of the vehicle which paused, backed up, and ran over her a 2nd time?? 🤫

One would have to think very, very fast to capture the license plate number. 

The episode I referenced above occurred within a matter of seconds....I'm guessing no more than 10.  The subsequent press reports included the "800" tip-line phone number for the SFPD. By this, I'm assuming that no one on the street that evening rose to Unicorn's standard of behavior, myself included.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:35 AM, Luv2play said:

The first time I visited SF it was a foggy night when I arrived in early August 1979. I was enchanted with the fog horns on the ships. Most of the ensuing week was sunny and cool. Really lovely. I still have pictures of that vacation.

Polaroid?

It's amazing how much technology has changed. 

21 hours ago, FrankR said:

I have been in San Francisco since Friday. Have seen quite a number of homeless and signs of neglect, but have not felt unsafe at any time. Mainly using BART to get around - have seen more homeless/panhandling on NYC subway and platforms than here in San Fransisco. I don’t want to travel through SFO without TSA pre-check though - the lines appear to be very long, getting through security checks.  Glad to be back in San Fran; I’ve missed this place - may get a touristy tshirt to celebrate!! 😊

A friend flew back from there on Tuesday and got an email suggesting arriving at the airport 2 hours before because of short staff and larger than usual number of passengers. 

'Longer than usual waits' expected at SFO amid travel surge (sfgate.com)

San Francisco International Airport tells passengers to prepare for longer waits amid near pre-pandemic travel crowds - ABC7 San Francisco (abc7news.com)

2300x0.jpg

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

Polaroid?

It's amazing how much technology has changed. 

Not Polaroid. It wasn't an expensive camera but it took decent color pictures. I met a young blond lad and we hung out for several days. Looking at his pics now he would be called a twink but he was a great top in bed. I was 32 and he was about 21. Great stamina at that age.

• 11 months later...

I'm replying to this thread quite late I realize, but as someone who has visited San Francisco quite a few times, but not within the past 10 years, I'm curious about a couple of things, too. Interestingly, I stayed in a place called The Bijou hotel which was right on the corner where the Tenderloin started. The video that's posted here of the Tenderloin doesn't look that bad at all to me; in fact, the Tenderloin looked scarier when I was there in 2003 and 2005 staying at that same Hotel than it does in his video. He should go to Kensington in Philadelphia if he wants to experience shocking street life.

I wanted to ask native San Franciscans about Buena Vista Park. I had quite a bit of fun there on every one of my trips, but I do know that quite a few homeless people hang out in there, and so I'm just curious if it's considered a dangerous spot to walk either during day or night now? It's a beautiful place.