Should Chris Rock sue Will Smith?

This topic is 745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't know if he was on drugs or not, but WS's behavior is a bad example to be broadcast billions. I hope CR sues his ass. If I punched every comedian who made fun of me or whomever I was with... It's why we watch comedians.

That was definitely the moment of the night. I actually don't think anything will happen (legally) to Will Smith. I don't think Smith should have hit anyone, but actually Rock's joke was really inappropriate and in really bad taste. Jada has alopecia which is why she has her hair like that. Had he just cussed Rock out it would've been fine, but yeah the physical violence was definitely a step too far.

No law suits please - Rock can build a tour and HBOSpecial around this, and get rich that way. Will Smith will apologize in private and in person. And probably make a huge charity donation at Rocks direction.

His speech did nothing to help. They should both drop it. 
Oh wait… one of them just won a top award and will be pinned down about it at every turn 👀

He also once slapped a reporter in a public setting. 

In either case I don't blame him for being angry.    But his violence is disappointing and paints a poor picture.  

No, to the OP question.

Edited by OCClient

3 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

Just like bullies many comedians have fragile egos and are too sensitive to take a joke. 

Btw didn't he laugh at the joke first? 

Yes, he did laugh at the joke at first, THEN dramatically walked up on the stage and slapped Rock. Will's indignation was BS. He did it because he then saw that Jada was pissed.  Will Simp defending his wife that cheated on him lol.  If your wife can handle all those "entanglements", then she can handle a joke.

46 minutes ago, augustus said:

Will Smith has done his share of mocking people.  He was out of line.

So if you go to a comedy show and a comedian insults your spouse, it's OK if you smack him upside the head?

16 minutes ago, augustus said:

No.  I meant Smith was out of line.  It's not like she has cancer.

Smith was out of line. So was Chris Rick for mocking Pinkett. She apparently has severe alopecia, which absolutely kills a woman’s self esteem. No one understands that as well as the live Hollywood audience. 

Nobody knows the back story to all of this, but it is never okay to react to words with violence.  This was yet another example of an entitled celebrity having no shame about behaving reprehensibly.  I am pretty sure there will be no lawsuit, no charges - nothing.  What's the point of a lawsuit - unless Will Smith had to pay a couple of hundred million dollars it wouldn't be much of a punishment for someone of his wealth and fame.

Those who are fans of Will Smith will no doubt rush to his defence and explain his actions away.  I found his acceptance speech to be bizarre - he apologized to everyone except the person who actually deserved the apology.  That is not remorse. It is hypocritical and completely self-serving.  That line about 'love making you do crazy things' is not any different than the excuses many abusers use to explain away their actions.  Disgusting.  Had he apologized in his speech to Chris Rock I would not likely take such a harsh view. Chris Rock was clearly shaken up by this, and I hope he is able to rise with graciousness and not take this further - though he certainly could, and it would be understandable.  One person who seemed to be particularly disturbed by Will Smith's actions was Denzel Washington, who is one of the most classy gentlemen in Hollywood from what I understand.  Maybe Will can take a few lessons from Denzel - someone who actually lives according to what he preaches.

Edited by CuriousByNature

He was yelling something to the extent of Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth.    

Will Smith was totally in the wrong no matter the provocation.  That he was not removed from the theater was a disgrace.  That he was allowed to accept the award and drone on was incomprehensible.     

As for Rock, he is a comedian and while the joke was in bad taste, it may have been said as an ad lib or if planned, it definitely should have been cut by someone.  While Alopecia may be a blow to the ego, it is not a life threatening disease so I do not see any justification for the foul mouthed yelling let alone the violence. These are public people in a public setting.  That people were embracing and comforting Smith is ridiculous.  

That Rock continued on without  becoming infuriated was  noteworthy and was deserving of support.  

I couldn't stand Smith's tears when he described himself as a  "vessel of love". I almost lost it and muted his speech- much like I do when Trump appears on screen. He needs to be more adult to control his feelings. Such inappropriate behavior. The world knows how unhinged he can be. I don't know if any director would want to work with him. 

Edited by cany10011

CR did a joke about JPS's hair.  So what.  It was a joke.  Joan Rivers used to do Jokes about Jews in Nazi Germany.  Kathy Griffin did jokes about Whitney Houston smoking meth.  It's what comedians do.  People are way too sensitive today.  

Will Smith's reaction was completely out of line...both the slap and then the profanity afterward.  Very low class.

34 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

CR did a joke about JPS's hair.  So what.  It was a joke.  Joan Rivers used to do Jokes about Jews in Nazi Germany.  Kathy Griffin did jokes about Whitney Houston smoking meth.  It's what comedians do.  People are way too sensitive today.  

Will Smith's reaction was completely out of line...both the slap and then the profanity afterward.  Very low class.

If they are out in the public, they should have enough thick skin to deal with jokes. Otherwise, they should just be recluses. 

50 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

While this is understandable, I hope there are some serious consequences to WS so he gets the message that this type of behavior is unacceptable, which he clearly doesn't understand--as evidenced by his behavior. If there are no criminal charges, I hope there is a least a hefty payment made, either to CR himself or to an organization which helps battered spouses or CR's charity of choice. WS is a grown man, and apparently still needs to learn a lesson. 

Edited by Unicorn

I had missed the dust-up prior to WS’s acceptance speech but tuned out of that part because he came across as histrionic and rambling. 

The narrative about hair is complex. If you justify your hairstyle as a default for having no choice but to adopt a certain look it simply conveys a value judgement about there being a gradient of beauty and undermines the buzz cut as a legitimate choice that actually need not be viewed as substandard … take Michaela Cole and others as an example. There appears to be a juxtaposition inherent in that hairstyle in the context of a designer gown and bling. I thought the joke played on that, ie, there must be a film industry backdrop to explain why a woman would choose that. That’s as far as the tastelessness went. 

‘Oh woe is JPS she is backed into a shitty look and short-changed the glamor befitting her stature.’ Was Chris Rock actually supposed to understand the nuances of every minor celebrity’s fashion parameters? 

7FB52F6A-5CB3-42F4-9D2C-1243127D5FDF.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

9 hours ago, augustus said:

No.  I meant Smith was out of line.  It's not like she has cancer.

Jada Pinkett Smith: Oscars controversy shines a light on actress's 'struggle' with alopecia - CNN Style

I didn't know she had this disease. 

Maybe Chris Rock and Will Smith should campaign to raise money and awareness about the disease. 

2 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Joan Rivers was Jewish, I doubt non Jewish comedians would be allowed to make the same jokes about the holocaust without suffering consequences.

Edited by marylander1940

3 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

True, but local SoCal news points out the District Attorney doesn’t need Chris Rock’s complaint to file battery charges as @Rod Hagen points out above. We still need to wait and see what the DA does.