Should Chris Rock sue Will Smith?

This topic is 745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

3 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

I had missed the dust-up prior to WS’s acceptance speech but tuned out of that part because he came across as histrionic and rambling. 

The narrative about hair is complex. If you justify your hairstyle as a default for having no choice but to adopt a certain look it simply conveys a value judgement about there being a gradient of beauty and undermines the buzz cut as a legitimate choice that actually need not be viewed as substandard … take Michaela Cole and others as an example. There appears to be a juxtaposition inherent in that hairstyle in the context of a designer gown and bling. I thought the joke played on that, ie, there must be a film industry backdrop to explain why a woman would choose that. That’s as far as the tastelessness went. 

‘Oh woe is JPS she is backed into a shitty look and short-changed the glamor befitting her stature.’ Was Chris Rock actually supposed to understand the nuances of every minor celebrity’s fashion parameters? 

7FB52F6A-5CB3-42F4-9D2C-1243127D5FDF.jpeg

I’m going to catch hell for this, but here goes: Imagine that everyone walks around naked. You have a rare condition which caused your 8 inch dick to wither to 1 inch, and one of your balls is gone—permanently. That’s what life is like for a relatively young woman with alopecia. 

As I said, though, assaulting Rock wasn’t the way to handle it. Best thing he could have done is sneer and shake his head for the camera. Those around him didn’t react, so the joke fell flat anyway.

13 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Just like bullies many comedians have fragile egos and are too sensitive to take a joke. 

Btw didn't he laugh at the joke first? 

This is what real privilege looks like. You can assault someone on live TV, win your award, have everyone cry and applaud for you, blame your action on something else and then brag about it later. He didn't do anything to the guy who had an "entanglement" with his wife.  And best actor, what a joke!! No wonder no one watches the Oscars anymore. 

15 minutes ago, augustus said:

This is what real privilege looks like. You can assault someone on live TV, win your award, have everyone cry and applaud for you, blame your action on something else and then brag about it later. He didn't do anything to the guy who had an "entanglement" with his wife.  And best actor, what a joke!! No wonder no one watches the Oscars anymore. 

Is not like he shot someone on 5th avenue, bragged about grabbing women by the pussy, mock a disabled person because of he "attacked" him, etc.

16 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

Is not like he shot someone on 5th avenue, bragged about grabbing women by the pussy, mock a disabled person because of he "attacked" him, etc.

Are you trying to get this thread moved?

No comedian or public performer should fear for an audience member stepping up and assaulting them.

3 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Are you trying to get this thread moved?

No comedian or public performer should fear for an audience member stepping up and assaulting them.

No, I'm not trying to  have it moved but you as a moderator can do it if you find it appropriate.

Several previous references have been made comparing this situation to some politicians.

I had no intention of watching the Oscars - but the slap heard 'round the world cued me in REAL quick. Honestly, to me this was the best thing to happen to the Oscars since Kevin Hart told them to fuck off. I'd rather the Governor's Awards broadcasted instead of this garbage.

I've always adored and admired Will Smith and his family, so I felt several ways about this when I saw it. I was shocked when Chris made the joke about her alopecia hair that she has been open and vulnerable about - and when I saw her face I was disgusted. I was just as shocked when he bitch slapped that fool on live television without missing a step.

On the one hand, it was heartwarming that this upset (someone as gentle and well composed as) Will Smith to the point of a single, intentional slap. That might not be love in a good way, but that's love.

On the other hand, it was not a good idea and no less rude than Chris Rock's joke. Part of me thought, "Oh, Will! What were you thinking?"

And honestly, this is what I wish Beyoncé and/or Taylor Swift would have done to Kanye when hijacked her award. Would we be mad at them? Maybe because Kanye is mentally ill but probably not because we all love to hate Kanye.

I do not think anyone should sue anyone or have to go on tv or tour to talk about it. I imagine they will be fine and do just that. This is my favorite reaction shot from the slap heard around the world:

australian-actress-nicole-kidman-attends-the-94th-oscars-at-news-photo-1648482384.thumb.jpg.f15bcf5b6a8a8c275191f17a080e4168.jpg

The assumption that “everyone knew” that Jada had Alopecia is silly. I am not a regular consumer of celebrity medical news. My sis has it, I know that it’s a very emotionally charged condition for women. But I had no idea Jada had the disease until after the incident.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley has Alopecia. I DO follow politics, and this is what a head looks like with total hair loss:

image.jpeg.2b170b142be10068f465940c23327a09.jpeg The smoothness of the scalp from hair loss is worth pointing out.

Jada’s makeup team added hair stubble and shading all over the head, which reads as “shaved hair growing out”, a style choice that looks gorgeous on her.

3wIBevi

it’s beautifully executed, and in colors that say “formerly longer hair” Google other photos and you’ll see she’s almost always got that shading as part of fabulous step-n-repeat looks. It’s intended to fool they eye into seeing hair.

Chris Rock aimed the short joke at her look at the event. This sort of jest is always fair game. So he saw:

Buzzed hair (not hair loss)

Green almost-military bodice.

He thought of GI Jane, a powerful female character, as the comparison.

The joke worked. Not brilliant, but if Rock didn’t know, and was riffing on her look last evening, it was not insulting in its aim.

Will Smith stepped on his own dick last night, knowing he might win, perhaps gambling he wouldn’t. Still a fine actor. Has a lousy team for clean-up. Totally Shitty party guest, though. If I were Mr and Mrs Dolby he’d be banned from my house.

The new set-up of nominees at cocktail tables in front made it all feel a bit less formal, like the Globes, or even a Celebrity Roast. 

All in all, it’s another argument supporting my premise that entertainment award shows are redundant, ubiquitous, serve no good purpose, and should be eliminated as mass entertainment.

I adored Amy Schumer.

21 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

LA sheriff's department (or whichever authority has jurisdiction) will take action tomorrow, I bet.

Kevin Slater

The LAPD was called in but CR did not want to press charges. He wins the night in my opinion.

the academy considered having WS removed from the auditorium but decided not to. 

50 minutes ago, PapaTony said:

The LAPD was called in but CR did not want to press charges. He wins the night in my opinion.

the academy considered having WS removed from the auditorium but decided not to. 

As mentioned above…It’s not necessary for Chris Rock to file charges. The DA or City Attorney could file as assault. 

The morning after the Oscars, people used to talk about who won, who got shafted, who looked great, who didn't, etc.  Today, nobody is talking about a single film or actor because everyone is buzzing about The Slap.  Must be a bit of a bummer to win an Oscar yet get totally ignored.

3 hours ago, BSR said:

The morning after the Oscars, people used to talk about who won, who got shafted, who looked great, who didn't, etc.  Today, nobody is talking about a single film or actor because everyone is buzzing about The Slap.  Must be a bit of a bummer to win an Oscar yet get totally ignored.

Anyone whose read Christos Tsiolkas' novel The Slap or watched a TV adaptation of it would be aware that a single slap can be controversial and prompt all sorts of reactions!

How about some whataboutism?
Will Smith messed up big time - but punishing him will be difficult considering the Academy's reputation for awarding men accused of and known for worse (Roman Polanski. Woody Allen. Harvey Weinstein.) I don't think they can take a big swing at him without looking as biased as they did before they "diversified" their organization in recent years.

Chris Rock: "You know what they say, "There's no reason to ever hit a woman." Shit! There's a reason to hit everybody. You just don't do it. Shit, there's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs. You just don't do it. Ain't nobody above an ass-whooping."

What confuses me is that Smith laughed at first when the joke was told. Was it Jada’s annoyed look that made him get up and smack Chris Rock? Did Smith think he’d be in trouble when they got home if he didn’t do anything? His meandering weird acceptance speech made it even worse. Unfortunately it became the highlight, or maybe the lowlight of the show. It’s strange that for an industry based on entertainment the Oscars is usually so boring. 

2 hours ago, foxy said:

What confuses me is that Smith laughed at first when the joke was told. Was it Jada’s annoyed look that made him get up and smack Chris Rock? Did Smith think he’d be in trouble when they got home if he didn’t do anything? His meandering weird acceptance speech made it even worse. Unfortunately it became the highlight, or maybe the lowlight of the show. It’s strange that for an industry based on entertainment the Oscars is usually so boring. 

Crawford-Smith

14 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

What exactly is the Academy planning to “investigate” btw?  If they want to discuss whether to sanction him, just say that  

One thing worth investigating is the previous relationship between the two men.

And IAM   not implying asexual relationship