West Point Cadets Overdose in Wilton Manors

Becket
This topic is 792 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 3/13/2022 at 5:31 PM, BSR said:

Why do traffickers lace cocaine with fentanyl? 

Because it’s cheap, easy to manufacture, and as you've seen in this example...a little goes a L-O-N-G way.

Inexperienced drug users don't REALLY know the difference between an opiate high, a cocaine high and an amphetamine high. For this reason, you'll see a lot of coke cut with meth as well. Experienced users on the other hand can usually tell. In fact, I've seen studies where the heavy Heroin users could tell Fentanyl from Heroin (both opiates). 

So if you're buying crappy drugs (and if you're not an experienced druggie or a Billionaire....then by definition your most likely buying crappy drugs), you are at very high risk of getting drugs that are cut with something. Baby powder and laxatives were both popular things to cut coke with, but it's too easy to tell, so they've moved on to cutting it with cheaper drugs instead. 

And it's not just cocaine. Just about every street drug gets "cut" with something cheaper. 

Often the local "cartel" will "take care" of the problem when someone fucks up and cuts the drug in a way that starts killing people. It's "bad for business" after all. In fact, it's not unheard of for one cartel to intentionally spike another cartel's drug supply in order to try and give them a bad name on the street. When there is a problem, word tends to get out quickly among the experienced crowd to avoid X, Y or Z drug. Unfortunately, it's the recreational user who is again at highest risk of being clueless to the danger. 

Based on the fact that the rescuers OD'd from trying to save them, I'm willing to bet it's Fentanyl's even deadlier little sister Sufentanil that was the contaminant. Ultimately though it doesn't really matter WHICH opiate it is. 

Edited by nycman

9 hours ago, WilliamM said:

also in the 80s

So I've heard....but I was a teenager who rarely drank and didn't do drugs in the 80s...so personally unfamiliar with the details. Once I hit ground in NYC I jumped in the nightclub scene with both feet and saw things most people only dream of .

Edited by pubic_assistance

19 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

I was startled to learn (from the longer article in NY Post that I read) that a tiny amount, just 2 milligrams, of fentanyl can prove fatal if inhaled or ingested. 

?? Whatever gave you the idea that 2 mg was a small dose of Fentanyl? It's usually dosed at 1 MICROgram per kg, so, unless you weight over a metric ton, that's a pretty big dose...

7 hours ago, WilliamM said:

...Many people try grass, acid (back in the day), hash. 

And I served in the Army

Now I know why we lost in Vietnam....

Cartoon Drunk Soldier Stock Illustration - Download Image Now - iStock

14 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

What makes you assume they all have a "drug problem" ?

They were cadets partying late and doing a little coke to keep the party going.

Everyone used to do that back in the 90s.

Give The World A Coke GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Gotta watch out for those cokeheads...

coca cola party | Dafuq | Know Your Meme

Edited by Unicorn

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

?? Whatever gave you the idea that 2 mg was a small dose of Fentanyl? It's usually dosed at 1 MICROgram per kg, so, unless you weight over a metric ton, that's a pretty big dose...

You have not read, or you have misconstrued, what I wrote @Unicorn. I was NOT discussing the appropriate dosage for pain relief in a medical setting. 

I simply stated my surprise that such a tiny amount as 2 milligrams of fentanyl is potentially fatal if ingested or inhaled. 2/1000ths of a gram is a tiny amount; 1 gram = 0.0022 of a pound.

I quote the DEA website: “Producing illicit fentanyl is not an exact science.  Two milligrams of fentanyl can be lethal depending on a person’s body size, tolerance and past usage.”

Also, to put that in perspective “Drug trafficking organizations typically distribute fentanyl by the kilogram.  One kilogram of fentanyl has the potential to kill 500,000 people.”

On 3/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, Lucky said:

I can see where an individual might have a drug problem, but a whole group of cadets do it together? That indicates a real problem at West Point. You wonder how many cadets are on drugs.

Problem yes, but also the entitlement to do it and get away with that and more. 

On 3/13/2022 at 6:34 PM, pubic_assistance said:

Probably true ...but we are talking about doing some Cocaine after a wild night of partying, not shooting up heroin in a subway tunnel.

in some states SNAP recipients are tested for drugs, maybe we should occasionally test cops, military and others. 

On 3/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, pubic_assistance said:

What makes you assume they all have a "drug problem" ?

They were cadets partying late and doing a little coke to keep the party going.

Everyone used to do that back in the 90s.

This ain't the 90s anymore.

Cocaine is not for the elite nor a sign of power like Hollywood tells us it was in the 70s in the Playboy mansion, Miami Vice in the 80's, etc. 

On 3/13/2022 at 5:38 PM, Axiom2001 said:

"I hope they recover" and face the consequences.  Why excuse the illicit drug use.

Me too and I also hope one day they feel sorry over the lives they ruined in South of the border countries. I'm surprised so far no "thoughts and prayers" about all the folks who died producing and transporting the drugs they craved for them to have some real fun while on spring break. 

Next time I got the give head to each other and get a tattoo... 

4 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Ha ha 

Nude beaches, LSD,  Richard Nixon

All happening in California!

Nude beaches especially in Santa Cruz

As I understand the history of LSD, it started in the eastern seaboard with Timothy Leary with Ivy League credentials as a chief proponent who influenced the Establishment.. 

And before Nixon, there was JFK, whose girlfriend, Mary Myers, married to the deputy head of the CIA, who turned  Jack on to LSD.

She was killed in mysterious circumstances in Washington not too long after JFK. Also,she wasn't a tramp. She was a Pinchot, an old New England family who had donated their ancestral home to the nation while Kennedy was president. She turned over the keys to him personally.

Edited by Luv2play

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

This ain't the 90s anymore.

Cocaine is not for the elite nor a sign of power like Hollywood tells us it was in the 70s in the Playboy mansion, Miami Vice in the 80's, etc. 

Guess what: cocaine was absolutely not limited to the the elite in Playboy mansions during the 1970s and  1980s. I remember turning cocaine down at a small party in Aptos California in August 1980. I had to drive, and wasn't willing to take a chance. I was harassed by someone for turning it down.

Edited by WilliamM

3 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Guess what: cocaine was absolutely not limited to the the elite in Playboy mansions during the 1970s and  1980s. I remember turning cocaine down at a small party in Aptos California in August 1980

That’s absolutely true. I turned it down at a small party in Manhattan in 1982 where I thought the people were being silly (of course I arrived late and that stuff did make people say inane things).

I settled for a vodka tonic, which has never gotten me in trouble.

Cocaine is not for the elite nor a sign of power like Hollywood tells us

"Elite" ?? We used to do a line after drinking too much so we could go out to some late, late, late trashy dance party in a parking garage in Tribeca or go play pool in Brooklyn.  Wasn't anything "elite" about it...just a matter of being young and having some fun. Some of you are surprisingly prudish about a bit of youthful mischief. They weren't shooting up heroin !

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

What made it “elite” in the 70s and 80s was the expense of white cocaine powder. Typically $100 or more a gram. Then crack came along and given its low cost, that cheapened cocaine incredibly and just everyone could afford that. 

It was said the police cracked down on crack users and left powder cocaine users alone, a class and racial discrimination thing.

17 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

"Elite" ?? We used to do a line after drinking too much so we could go out to some late, late, late trashy dance party in a parking garage in Tribeca or go play pool in Brooklyn.  Wasn't anything "elite" about it...just a matter of being young and having some fun. Some of you are surprisingly prudish about a bit of youthful mischief. They weren't shooting up heroin !

cool guys now do pot which is semi legal.

giphy.gifpeanutbutter-and-crack-sandwich.gif

We're glad you survived! 

43 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Guess what: cocaine was absolutely not limited to the the elite in Playboy mansions during the 1970s and  1980s. I remember turning cocaine down at a small party in Aptos California in August 1980. I had to drive, and wasn't willing to take a chance. I was harassed by someone for turning it down.

According to my husband, it was common for people to be doing lines at their tables in restaurants in the Castro. Since it was that commonplace, it certainly wasn't elite  But in the minds of those people doing lines at their dinner tables, I imagine it was.  

13 hours ago, Rudynate said:

According to my husband, it was common for people to be doing lines at their tables in restaurants in the Castro. Since it was that commonplace, it certainly wasn't elite  But in the minds of those people doing lines at their dinner tables, I imagine it was.  

I lived in San Francisco for 19 years and never once saw anyone doing lines at a Castro restaurant.

25 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I lived in San Francisco for 19 years and never once saw anyone doing lines at a Castro restaurant.

And when was this?  I have lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and never once saw anyone doing lines at a Castro restaurant.  It doesn't mean that it never happened.  I could definitely believe it happened pre-AIDS.

Edited by Rudynate
add content

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

⁉️😕⁉️

"Survived" ??

It's a line of coke !

They used to put cocaine in Coca Cola.

It's not heroin, man !

It's the equivalent of drinking four espressos ..just something to keep you awake after a long night of drinking.

do you think cocaine should be legal? 

do you think cocaine should be legal? 

The legality of recreational drugs doesn't not grossly affect their use.

People who do drugs find them whether or not they are legal

My Libertarian brain says that all drugs should be legal and consumption should be closely registered and monitored so you know who's got a problem. Making it illegal only keeps your addictions behind close doors until it's too late.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

And when was this?  I have lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and never once saw anyone doing lines at a Castro restaurant.  It doesn't mean that it never happened.  I could definitely believe it happened pre-AIDS.

If you carefully read what I wrote, you will note that I did not say it never happened. I wasn't in every restaurant all of the time.

I also think that drug use increased after AIDS came along. Many were suffering, and many thought what was there t lose if they were going to die soon anyway.