CNN's Piss Poor Coverage of Ball Drop

Lucky
This topic is 836 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I like to watch the ball drop on Times Square. For me, that starts the new year. But CNN had Andy Cohen, who simply isn't funny, and Andersen Old-Man Cooper to get us through. I muted most of it. Then the ball drops, but we can't see it go all the way down since the CNN screen has a chyron spitting out Twitter comments.

Auld Lang Syne starts to play, but is quickly cut off by Sinatra's New York, New York. I went to bed.

44 minutes ago, Lucky said:

So I like to watch the ball drop on Times Square. For me, that starts the new year. But CNN had Andy Cohen, who simply isn't funny, and Andersen Old-Man Cooper to get us through. I muted most of it. Then the ball drops, but we can't see it go all the way down since the CNN screen has a chyron spitting out Twitter comments.

Auld Lang Syne starts to play, but is quickly cut off by Sinatra's New York, New York. I went to bed.

With Andy Cohen,  mute is the way to go. I am not interested in  his political opinions.

Anderson Cooper's book about the Vanderbilt family is Pretty good, if too much about Truman Capote and Gloria Vanderbilt

50 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

With Andy Cohen,  mute is the way to go. I am not interested in  his political opinions.

Anderson Cooper's book about the Vanderbilt family is Pretty good, if too much about Truman Capote and Gloria Vanderbilt

Was Andy Cohen really drunk? Or just playing it? His comments about the outgoing DeBlasio during the mayoral swearing made me (and Anderson) extremely uncomfortable!

edit: just found this:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/andy-cohen-new-years-eve-drunk-bill-de-blasio-1235145780/

26 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Was Andy Cohen really drunk? Or just playing it? His comments about the outgoing DeBlasio during the mayoral swearing made me (and Anderson) extremely uncomfortable!

edit: just found this:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/andy-cohen-new-years-eve-drunk-bill-de-blasio-1235145780/

Cohen doesn't belong on CNN. Yes, he is playing a clown to partner with Cooper who is more serious.

If they are back next year, limit to one drink for the two of them.

Cohen is a self promoter and a very successful one at that.  He had plenty shots of tequila and his rant about DeBlasio was lunacy and off the cuff, but everyone's talking about it this morning and that's gold in his business. 

Plus CNN (I'm betting) gets the ratings win simply by allowing a potential shitshow to evolve throughout the night.  

He'll be back next year for sure.

Edited by topunderachiever

1 hour ago, Pensant said:

I was in deep REM by then.

Luckily it was only 9 pm here when I watched. There was only one other channel with a NYE Live program, @Unicorn, and that was from Miami. New York is the place to be, not Miami.

Those chyrons that blocked my view of the dropping ball apparently had several vulgarities that CNN missed:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cnn-raunchy-new-years-eve-tweeters_n_61d0d616e4b0bb04a639b474

Andy Cohen made me cringe.

I LOVE  drunk Don Lemon.  Especially when he invited critics to "kiss my black ass."   😝❤️😁

He's as much a pleasure as Andy Cohen isn't.  That other lady with Lemon though....

She was hit and miss.

Edited by E.T.Bass
sp.

Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper were a funny pairing. Kathy, a professional comedian, didn’t have to get sloshed in order to be funny. Plus, her zany energy was the perfect contrast to Anderson’s uptightness. I’d start watching CNN’s NYE broadcast again if they invited Kathy back.

Andy Cohen reminds me of the loud-mouthed drunk in an overpriced, self-important Chelsea bar and lounge who has no filter and no appreciation for boundaries. 

I had the best New Year's eves during the winters I was in Miami back around the turn of the century. One could go out to the bars and have a great time without having to dress for the cold. Of course this applies to other sun destinations as well but Miami had a certain zest back then, which I understand has somewhat fizzled. Of course, I also spent some NY eves in Ft Lauderdale, which was only a 30 minute drive away and equally fun.

I had watched the new year in (which, by the things I have posted elsewhere here, some would have noticed), and even thought at 4pm the Times Square event would have been easy to manage, I didn't watch it, or even look to see if it was on TV here (I would be surprised if it were not). The stations here that would broadcast the event would most likely take a feed of the vision, not a US network's full coverage), but in any event I missed the fun/drama/cringe of CNN's coverage.